Used it with my nephew, works great. Love how you can be in a call but be free to be doing other things.
    11-15-12 08:54 AM
    BlackBerry: People without borders!

Just BBM your friend and ask them to schedule to be near an internet cafe and badda bing badda boom free phone call. Cool!
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Im pretty sure most people already have Wifi at home these days.

All you need is one contact and it could be worth it. Its a free upgrade after all.
    I think the upgrade is great! but my point was that they can upgrade BBM all day, it still comes down to having users. Just like the Playbook and its video chat. Its an awesome feature, but it gets little to no use because there are very few people with Playbooks.

I think initially businesses would flock to BBM Voice chat before consumers will.
    11-15-12 08:55 AM
    I'd rather they just get Viber on board..at least then you have a cross platform app that works flawlessly and isn't restricted to one platform.
    11-15-12 09:06 AM
    Still don't understand, I can run viber off 3G why can't I do it for BBM voice... Still, no complaints cause I don't use bbm much outside of work or home...

Now for the ultimate challenge, see if BGR makes some UNBIASED content on it and not a bashing one.
    11-15-12 09:07 AM
    Nope. There are many threads about people (specifically in the U.S.) with little to no BBM contacts.
    I used to have 25-26 friends on BBM now it seems all but one have drank the kool aid.

Just last week I had three BBM contacts. One bought an iCrap device, a second was using a very outdated 8530 that would always render the spinning clock being stuck on OS 5 and jumped to Android, the third I contact who still remains on BBM, I seldom talk to.
    11-15-12 01:37 PM
    I used to have 25-26 friends on BBM now it seems all but one have drank the kool aid.

Just last week I had three BBM contacts. One bought an iCrap device, a second was using a very outdated 8530 that would always render the spinning clock being stuck on OS 5 and jumped to Android, the third I contact who still remains on BBM, I seldom talk to.

Plenty of people on cb who have a BBM account. Try asking people to add you in the Social Forums.
    11-15-12 02:27 PM
    Plenty of people on cb who have a BBM account. Try asking people to add you in the Social Forums.
    Im assuming she had people she actually knew in real life. BBM is no fun when you ONLY have strangers.
    richardat likes this.
    11-15-12 02:32 PM
    I wonder if its restricted to wifi only to apease the carriers who dont want to loose people on voice plans..........
    11-15-12 02:41 PM
    I wonder if its restricted to wifi only to apease the carriers who dont want to loose people on voice plans..........
    This is what I think occurred.
    11-15-12 03:13 PM
    Great that RIM are getting more attention despite some will be odd / negative attention. It made a pleasant change for this to come out of the blue too.

BBM gets even better !
    11-15-12 03:15 PM
    personally bbm voice is a godsend for me. now i can voice chat for free with all my bbm contacts (40+) across canada, the U.S. and the caribbean. i'm living in vancouver at the moment and can speak with my family and friends in toronto, winnipeg and my consultant friends who travel throughout the U.S. and Canada on a weekly basis. i can also easily speak to my family in trinidad & tobago (BBs are popular there) without using another service or being in front of a computer. i doubt my use case is unique, so i don't get why so many are being negative about this or comparing to the likes of skype/viber/tango etc. from my perspective a free service with considerable penetration just got a new and useful feature that millions will take advantage of on a daily basis yet some people think just because they don't benefit (right now) it isn't newsworthy. i get the lukewarm reception from those of you who have little to no bbm contacts but that doesn't change the fact that something is free just got better. maybe in a few months you'll have a handful of bb10 adoptees that you can chat with so stop being cynical. the only people who should be upset about this are the carriers as many, including myself, will be cancelling our long-distance plans in light of bbm7. sorry rogers, that $10/month will stay in my pocket.
    Snap51, gokulesh and toneytone like this.
    11-15-12 05:02 PM
    So.. BBM is secured.

Is BBM Voice secured? I mean that would be the huge difference between everyone else is... if its secured... (and bbm is out of the box).. then we really have a winner :O secured voice and bbm
    11-15-12 06:07 PM
    Nope. There are many threads about people (specifically in the U.S.) with little to no BBM contacts.
    There are plenty of BBM contacts out there for everyone to meet and add to their phone. If you have a BlackBerry and no BBM contacts then you are missing the best RIM has to offer. Get thee to the social threads!!!!
    11-15-12 08:02 PM
    Wish I had a newer phone so that I could give it a go.
    11-15-12 09:34 PM
    about getting BBM voice over mobile network.... that's called a phone call. These smart devices are phones. Why would any provider OK a system that would allow free calls over THEIR networks? Even surprised that carriers are okay with a free way to talk to folks without going through their networks by using wifi.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    11-15-12 09:46 PM
    about getting BBM voice over mobile network.... that's called a phone call. These smart devices are phones. Why would any provider OK a system that would allow free calls over THEIR networks? Even surprised that carriers are okay with a free way to talk to folks without going through their networks by using wifi.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Skype works, so does Viber. There are also voice chat apps like WeChat and Kakaotalk. There's a shift coming in wireless. It used to be that the carriers charged for voice minutes, and gave you unlimited data. Now it's the other way around. In a few years, it's expected that carriers will almost give away voice minutes, while charging more and more for data. That's not to say they'll charge more per megabyte, it will more likely be they will offer larger buckets of data. It's happening already.
    11-15-12 10:26 PM
    Before you go into raptures about this being a 'disruptive experience' especially in emerging markets, please note the following

1. It's Wifi only...this means at any given time, both contacts have to be on Wifi. This will not be a commonplace scenario in many emerging markets

2. Unlike Skype, there are no desktop clients or ubiquity on other popular mobile OSes. For this reason, it's still vastly inferior to Skype.
    while true, also note that in many emerging markets folks will never even own a "PC". just phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    11-15-12 10:40 PM
    Im assuming she had people she actually knew in real life. BBM is no fun when you ONLY have strangers.
    LOL. I was going to say....a little backwards....
    11-16-12 03:36 AM
    I know you can do more with Face Time on Apple products, but can they go international on their platform as Kevin did on the video he posted earlier? !
    Yes.
    11-16-12 03:50 AM
    Why isn't BBM7 showing up for me in Beta zone? What am I missing here?
    11-16-12 07:11 AM
45 12