I have jus used my 9700's bbm over wifi and it works...

Please let me now if this is due to the update so i can cancel my data plan...

I had no simcard in and i was able to send and receive msgs thru bbm.

PLease let me know is this is working for others.
    03-22-10 01:58 PM
    nice try!
    A for effort.
    03-22-10 02:00 PM
    Of course it works through WiFi with the radio turned off. Still needs a data plan
    either way.
    03-22-10 02:02 PM
    Of course it works through WiFi with the radio turned off. Still needs a data plan
    either way.
    I was thinking the same thing. Internet works too lol.
    03-22-10 02:06 PM
    i understand that the internet would work....but not bbm...it didnt work before
    03-22-10 02:10 PM
    you have to have a data plan. LMAO!
    03-22-10 02:12 PM
    i do have a data plan...but it works on wifi...thats the amazing part
    03-22-10 02:15 PM
    i understand that the internet would work....but not bbm...it didnt work before
    Always has for me. Anything that requires data works with WiFi only on.
    03-22-10 02:18 PM
    Yeah, on my Storm 2 when connected with WiFi I now can BBM and surf the web while on the phone.
    03-22-10 02:31 PM
    As far as I understand it will still work even without SIM inserted (for GSM models), because a BlackBerry data plan is tied to the PIN, which in turn is hardcoded into the device itself. Therefore even with WiFi the device will try to authenticate with the RIM servers and once it has done this, all BlackBerry services will work purely over WiFi. This will still need a data plan as authentication without one is impossible.
    03-22-10 02:43 PM
    Funny thread! But afropoika hit the nail right on the head, great post! You NEED a Blackberry Data Plan to use BBM, period.

When Wifi is on, it's gray, when your connected to RIM's servers, it's white. So if you remove the data plan, you will only get a gray wifi icon. You can still connect to the internet, but any apps that need to go through RIM's servers won't work (like BBM).

Edit: If you really want to test your theory out, do this: Take your SIM out, Shut your radio off, or whatever, then go to Manage Connections> Mobile Network Options, and shut your data off. You will be able to browse the web on a 3rd party browser (Opera or Bolt). But see if you can use BBM?
    Last edited by ridesno159; 03-22-10 at 03:17 PM.
    03-22-10 03:06 PM
    I had a unactivated Storm 2 and could use the web and bbm on wifi...But I don't think you can not have a data plan even with wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-10 03:31 PM
    Funny thread! But afropoika hit the nail right on the head, great post! You NEED a Blackberry Data Plan to use BBM, period.

When Wifi is on, it's gray, when your connected to RIM's servers, it's white. So if you remove the data plan, you will only get a gray wifi icon. You can still connect to the internet, but any apps that need to go through RIM's servers won't work (like BBM).

Edit: If you really want to test your theory out, do this: Take your SIM out, Shut your radio off, or whatever, then go to Manage Connections> Mobile Network Options, and shut your data off. You will be able to browse the web on a 3rd party browser (Opera or Bolt). But see if you can use BBM?
    buddyy....i work at futureshop so i m not stupid....i have a unlocked blackberry 9700....with no sim inserted...and i can use bbm....i think u should try it out...and u will b surprised ur *** off too
    03-22-10 04:04 PM
    I noticed this too when I was in Zurich last week. Regularly I need to have the data on and afterwards wifi catches it for BIS, this is how it was.

But I upgraded my OS on my 9700 and while I was roaming, my data was off, my wifi was on and BIS started working instanteously.

03-22-10 04:14 PM
    buddyy....i work at futureshop so i m not stupid....i have a unlocked blackberry 9700....with no sim inserted...and i can use bbm....i think u should try it out...and u will b surprised ur *** off too
    I run my Storm constantly without a SIM in it... If your so confident in this then why did you ask the question? Just cancel your data plan then, and get on with it.

By the way, I wasn't call you stupid, even though you write like it, but I don't really care. I've never heard of "futureshop" so that doesn't prove your point at all to me.
    03-22-10 04:23 PM
    BBM, BB Browser and Opera Mini seem to work with me too without the sim card even with wifi icon greyed out. However, i wasn't able to use MSN, facebook, myspace, etc.
    03-22-10 07:29 PM
    @everyone who claims they can use BlackBerry Messenger (in particular PIN messaging) purely over WiFi without a SIM inserted and a gray WiFi icon... cancel your data plans and we shall see what the truth is!
    03-23-10 09:02 AM
    @everyone who claims they can use BlackBerry Messenger (in particular PIN messaging) purely over WiFi without a SIM inserted and a gray WiFi icon... cancel your data plans and we shall see what the truth is!
    okk....i dont get ur point....if there is no sim card in the phone....y does it matter if u have a data plan or not?
    03-24-10 12:10 PM
    The SIM only handles connection to the cellular network. The WiFi connection bypasses this completely and travels through internet to the same RIM servers. However, your permissions on the RIM server are identified by PIN and set up by your BIS account which is maintained by your phone provider, as part of the BB data service.

Taking the SIM out of the phone is not the same as cancelling service. If you discontinue BB data your access to the RIM servers will be cancelled when your phone provider removes or blocks the BIS account from the system.
    03-24-10 12:19 PM
    okk....i dont get ur point....if there is no sim card in the phone....y does it matter if u have a data plan or not?
    I think you may have missed the key point from earlier in the discussion. For GSM devices the data plan ties RIM's servers with your device via the PIN and not so much the SIM. So you can still receive blackberry data services without the SIM as long as you have the data plan on your account. So in other words the data transmission is still possible because you have data on your account that allows it to go through RIM's servers even through WiFi. So to truly test it, they are asking you to cancel your data service and see if you can use it then because then it most likely won't work because you now don't have the data plan which gave your phone access to RIM's servers. If I were you, I would cancel it to test for yourself. What do you have to lose? You either add the data plan back if it doesn't work or you keep it off if it does. Win-win as I see it.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 03-24-10 at 12:40 PM.
    03-24-10 12:20 PM
    Thread over:

I have a 9700 with no BIS data plan, just use Direct TCP-IP (old T-Zones) and Wifi. BBM does not work, whether connected to T-Mobile cell service, Wifi, or both. I can run the app itself, set things up, but it won't communicate with RIM's servers (can't authorize added contacts or send messages to PIN). BlackBerry phones require the service to run BBM, just like VVM or the stock IM apps.
    03-24-10 02:01 PM
    For those of u who are surprised or happy that bbm works without your sim inserted this is how it really works, to make a long thread short. Your carrier has registered your account or sim card to the blackberry servers but as soon as u cancel your data plan your carrier will unregister your account on the bb servers therefore nothing will work for u that requires to authenticate through a bb server first. Its like opening a locked door, once you have the key to that door u can open it. In this case your key is the Data plan.

Last edited by luqman24; 03-24-10 at 02:50 PM.
    03-24-10 02:47 PM
    This works because the Device has the service books required to connect to RIM.
    03-24-10 03:04 PM
    So what happens when you upgrade phones. I still have my 8900 here, and I've been using it to stream pandora on my desk radio. Do you think RIM/TMO would still have the old phone registered or not? I guess I could test it out...
    03-24-10 03:04 PM
    So what happens when you upgrade phones. I still have my 8900 here, and I've been using it to stream pandora on my desk radio. Do you think RIM/TMO would still have the old phone registered or not? I guess I could test it out...
    You should be able to stream radio I believe. It's the data that passes through RIM's server like BBM and email that are affected. If you upgraded through TMO they probably would have gotten the new devices info when they processed the upgrade. That could be as simple as then scanning it in the store if this is how it was done. If you got a device from somewhere else, then they probably don't have the new device's info but they could get it because when you registered your emails, it's attached to your BIS account whether you use manage it on the web or not. So they could theoretically pull up your BIS and the device info that the emails account were registered with. Not likely though.
    03-24-10 03:16 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD