The BBM hub trick on BB10 always annoyed me. It shows how inconsistent the OS is. BBM on the Storm 9530 auto rotates. Why in the world don't it do that on BB10, iOS and Android?

Officially, BBM don't work in landscape mode on Android at all. But, we're talking about Android here. We can do things even if BlackBerry don't want us to.

BBM starting to flex its muscles-screenshot_2013-12-30-16-19-17.png
    BBM starting to flex its muscles-screenshot_2013-12-30-16-23-13.png
    BBM starting to flex its muscles-screenshot_2013-12-30-16-23-20.png
    BBM starting to flex its muscles-screenshot_2013-12-30-16-24-23.png

I force everything to work in landscape mode. BlackBerry should do it that way to begin with on all platforms period, but at least Android users have the option to add the feature on their own.
    Donvald likes this.
    12-30-13 03:38 PM
    That's great. I have the Z10 which does not allow this using the BBM app.
    Never even knew you couldn't do this. I've always used BBM from the hub on my z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 03:47 PM
    I think BBM is a superior cross platform messaging app but I'm finding it less reliable ever since it went cross platform. I BBM from my iPhone to my wife who has a Bold 9900 and there are days when it literally takes more than 3-4 hours for the message to deliver. At first, I thought it was just growing pains but this happens several times a week for no apparent reason. I've deleted and reinstalled BBM on my iPhone and deleted and re-invited her as a contact. The same happens with our kids who are also on iPhone. Sadly, her corporate BB won't allow her to install Whatsapp so our only messaging app option is BBM.

Since BBM went cross platform, there has been a real standstill in terms of new BBM contacts for me. I expected many previous contacts (I had upwards of 300 about 2 years or so ago) to be back on BBM but I am still stuck at around 45.
    12-30-13 06:33 PM
    The BBM hub trick on BB10 always annoyed me. It shows how inconsistent the OS is. BBM on the Storm 9530 auto rotates. Why in the world don't it do that on BB10, iOS and Android?

Officially, BBM don't work in landscape mode on Android at all. But, we're talking about Android here. We can do things even if BlackBerry don't want us to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-30-16-19-17.png 
Views:	280 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	234690

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-30-16-23-13.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	234691

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-30-16-23-20.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	234692

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-30-16-24-23.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	234694

I force everything to work in landscape mode. BlackBerry should do it that way to begin with on all platforms period, but at least Android users have the option to add the feature on their own.
    I force everything to work in portrait mode but The Simpsons Tapped Out won't play along... It stubbornly insists on working in landscape mode on my iPhone, Xperia and Z10. What kind of nonsense is this ?!?!?! lol.
    12-30-13 08:25 PM

Hold the phones...

I just realized my Xperia and iPhone won't go into landscape mode on their home screens! WTF! This is bullsh1t...

Are you listening Apple and Google? I WANT my landscape homescreen! This is nonsense...

YAWN.
    12-30-13 08:29 PM
    Hold the phones...

I just realized my Xperia and iPhone won't go into landscape mode on their home screens! WTF! This is bullsh1t...

Are you listening Apple and Google? I WANT my landscape homescreen! This is nonsense...

YAWN.
    Landscape experience on Android is...rather interesting (to put it politely.) Even when I have screen rotation off, some apps are able to force landscape. Chase bank's app is an example of this.
    12-30-13 08:33 PM
    Let's compare it to a similar product.

BBM on Play Store: 4.2/5, 500,000+ ratings/reviews
    Google Hangouts: 3.6/5, 370,000+ ratings/reviews

Someone sure has reason to be jealous.
    Yup I'm jealous. You got me there.
    12-30-13 08:39 PM
    I only use the hub for communication. I spend most of my time in the hub and don't have a need to leave it for the apps. But I also always type in portrait. I love the BlackBerry 10 keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 08:39 PM
    Landscape experience on Android is...rather interesting (to put it politely.) Even when I have screen rotation off, some apps are able to force landscape. Chase bank's app is an example of this.
    In other words, it's ugly. Trust me, I know. I have two Android devices in addition to my iPhone and Z10...

I jailbroke my iPhone to allow landscape on my homescreen. Once I saw it I immediately understood why it was restricted!
    12-30-13 08:40 PM
    Yup I'm jealous. You got me there.
    I didn't mean you personally, but ok.
    12-30-13 08:53 PM
    In other words, it's ugly. Trust me, I know. I have two Android devices in addition to my iPhone and Z10...

I jailbroke my iPhone to allow landscape on my homescreen. Once I saw it I immediately understood why it was restricted!
    How is it ugly though?

I don't know about Apple - I'm not a iOS user, but it looks great on Android. It looks like it should have the feature from the factory. Which it don't, my phone wouldn't auto-rotate the homescreen stock either. I had to modify it. But look at the results:

Attachment 234772
    Attachment 234773
    Attachment 234774

It looks like it is factory. Everything is where it should be and everything works as it should, even widgets! What's not to like? I can still use the phone in portrait, but I can also use the entire thing in landscape. Seems like a win win to me.

I know, this is CrackBerry, so anything BlackBerry 10 can't do isn't important to some, but honestly wouldn't having the option be better? For example, the HDMI port would be more useful if the home screens could go into landscape on BlackBerry 10. Wouldn't it?
    12-30-13 09:09 PM
    I didn't mean you personally, but ok.
    I'm cool with that. Cheers
    12-30-13 09:10 PM
    I think BBM is a superior cross platform messaging app but I'm finding it less reliable ever since it went cross platform. I BBM from my iPhone to my wife who has a Bold 9900 and there are days when it literally takes more than 3-4 hours for the message to deliver. At first, I thought it was just growing pains but this happens several times a week for no apparent reason. I've deleted and reinstalled BBM on my iPhone and deleted and re-invited her as a contact. The same happens with our kids who are also on iPhone.

What iOS version are you running?

Sadly, her corporate BB won't allow her to install Whatsapp so our only messaging app option is BBM.

Not so sad. WhatsApp is a privacy/vulnerability disaster and very sloppily coded. Her work I.T. staff is smart.
    Taede likes this.
    12-30-13 10:42 PM
    I know, this is CrackBerry, so anything BlackBerry 10 can't do isn't important to some, but honestly wouldn't having the option be better? For example, the HDMI port would be more useful if the home screens could go into landscape on BlackBerry 10. Wouldn't it?
    It does when using the Z10 / Z30. It is a tiny bit annoying on the Q10 /Q5 which doesn't, however this is resolved by simply selecting "playon" and the entire TV screen will be used

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 09:33 AM
    It does when using the Z10 / Z30. It is a tiny bit annoying on the Q10 /Q5 which doesn't, however this is resolved by simply selecting "playon" and the entire TV screen will be used

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say it does, but the homescreens on the Z10/Z30 will not rotate to landscape while plugged into a TV via HDMI.

If they will, that sure is news to me and I've never seen it happen. Maybe you've got special devices no one else have, but I've only seen the homescreens stuck in portrait with big black ugly bars on each side.
    12-31-13 10:35 AM
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say it does, but the homescreens on the Z10/Z30 will not rotate to landscape while plugged into a TV via HDMI.

If they will, that sure is news to me and I've never seen it happen. Maybe you've got special devices no one else have, but I've only seen the homescreens stuck in portrait with big black ugly bars on each side.
    You are right it does not which provides a slight inconvenience when I have it hooked to my tv

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:18 AM
    Let's compare it to a similar product.

BBM on Play Store: 4.2/5, 500,000+ ratings/reviews
    Google Hangouts: 3.6/5, 370,000+ ratings/reviews

Someone sure has reason to be jealous.
    I guess if you want to compare BBM to another social platform that is seen as a failure.....

All I know is that BBM isn't in the top social apps on Android in the US anymore. And a visit to both iMore and Android Central gives a better idea of how BBMx has been "received" on those platforms.
    12-31-13 03:27 PM
    I guess if you want to compare BBM to another social platform that is seen as a failure.....

All I know is that BBM isn't in the top social apps on Android in the US anymore. And a visit to both iMore and Android Central gives a better idea of how BBMx has been "received" on those platforms.
    According to user reviews/votes, it's better than the offering from a company-with-nothing-to-be-jealous-of-BlackBerry. Don't read iMore, but I'll take Play Store reviews over trolling on Android Central any day, thank you very much.
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-31-13 03:36 PM

Sorry I was talking apps ect. If it will rotate on the phone, it will rotate on the TV via HDMI.

The homescreen does not rotate on the phone, so it doesn't rotate on the TV either

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 10:56 AM
69 123