Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Since the last post that called people cheap has gotten a bit out of hand, I decided to start this discussion.

BBM will be adding more premium features that people will be charged for. We know that this includes Timed Messages and Message Retraction, which will be bundled with more premium features. I did see a lot of people mention that the features that are paid for may not work unless the user on the other end has subscribed. This doesn't make sense for the current features we have, it's like how I can send a sticker that another user hasn't purchased. I will be able to send a timed message and retract a message when another user isn't subscribed to them.

Besides what they have announced, what other features would you like to see added that may be a paid for feature?

I would like to see a subscription based Skype like service. Especially since Skype on mobile is awful.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 06:33 PM
    A Skype like feature bbm would be pretty sweet

Commander and Chief of the Peevishlicious Crew
    11-04-14 08:12 PM
    I just want BBM on computers, being able to edit messages and remove. I don't think those should be paid since Skype has them (at least on computers) and it's free.

I don't mind paying a one time fee of a dollar or a dollar a year like WhatsApp for premium features.

I hope BlackBerry doesn't charge say $30 or whatever a year for their super corporate BBM features with the normal features like retract and timed and ONLY have the $30 plan for getting those normal features.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 08:13 PM
    I did see a lot of people mention that the features that are paid for may not work unless the user on the other end has subscribed. This doesn't make sense for the current features we have, it's like how I can send a sticker that another user hasn't purchased. I will be able to send a timed message and retract a message when another user isn't subscribed to them.
    Posted via CB10
    I must point out that I decided to put this to the test today. I sent a buddy a BBM text. I was prompted with the retraction feature immediately afterwards to let me know it's available. I had a misspelled word and decided to test the retraction... unfortunately, it didn't work. I received the error message that the buddy's BBM version did not support this feature, so it couldn't retract the last message I sent. This was a one time test on my part.

Now, I'm all for more features, and would be willing to pay a small fee for the premium features (even a yearly subscription) but I'm would want them all to work whether or not the other end has paid for those same features like the stickers currently do.

As for a feature I'd like to see... simple BBM gaming does come to mind. A countdown timer for the next person to add a word in alphabetical order, a timed math game in a group, fastest response to a trivia question, etc. It'd be a little social competition with your contacts. Basically, ice breaker games at a start of a BBM meeting, for example.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-04-14 08:43 PM
    All features have to work whether the other person paid or not. Simple as that.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 08:52 PM
    I must point out that I decided to put this to the test today. I sent a buddy a BBM text. I was prompted with the retraction feature immediately afterwards to let me know it's available. I had a misspelled word and decided to test the retraction... unfortunately, it didn't work. I received the error message that the buddy's BBM version did not support this feature, so it couldn't retract the last message I sent. This was a one time test on my part.

Now, I'm all for more features, and would be willing to pay a small fee for the premium features (even a yearly subscription) but I'm would want them all to work whether or not the other end has paid for those same features like the stickers currently do.

As for a feature I'd like to see... simple BBM gaming does come to mind. A countdown timer for the next person to add a word in alphabetical order, a timed math game in a group, fastest response to a trivia question, etc. It'd be a little social competition with your contacts. Basically, ice breaker games at a start of a BBM meeting, for example.
    It's because he hasn't upgraded to the new bbm yet. That's not BlackBerry fault that he hasn't updated. I will bet that of one person pays it will send to a non premium person as long as they have a upgrade bbm

Commander and Chief of the Peevishlicious Crew
    11-05-14 04:46 AM
    I just wanted to offer my opinion here as a BBM diehard user.

I suppose my line in the sand would be the cross platform video. This was a feature promised to us long ago and is now being implemented in enterprise environments with a consumer release in 2015. I have kept my small pool of cross platform BBM contacts around primarily because I keep promising a video chat feature in the new future. As shallow as that may sound to you, video is a driving feature my peers have been waiting for. This needs to not become a premium, paid for feature. That would risk alienating quite a few users who have held out waiting for this promise.

Conversely, I understand the need to monetize, but I hope it does not come at the cost of the quality of the app (Eg, many greyed out buttons that when clicked offer an in your face message that you have to upgrade). I would however pay a yearly subscription perhaps if a few key features were included such as: BBM money and Protected. I am very security conscious and would love to find an easy way to get Protected without needing a BES of my own, self hosted or cloud.

Another key feature for the premium services should be the ability to easily gift a subscription to another person's account. I would love to gift a few subscriptions if I were able to easily, especially of BBM Protected were included. This should be as easy as checking out and having the ability to enter a user's pin or email address signed up with BBM. A truly no fuss experience will help achieve this.

This is all just my opinion. Keep the discussion up!

BB-Z10/STL 100-3 Black/RFF91LW/Software Release 10.2.1.2977/OS 10.2.1.3247 /SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10/Unlocked
    Last edited by Smitty13; 11-05-14 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
    11-05-14 11:57 AM
    I like this discussion and i will pay if the price is reasonable

#BBFactCheck
    11-05-14 12:34 PM
    Should be free for BlackBerry users and not for ios/android

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 01:06 PM
    Lots of good points here.

It would be really cool to have a cloud BBM Protected subscription option. If I were with a small business and needed better internal messaging I could track it would be great.

I agree cross platform video should be free as it was promised.

A skype like feature that allows you to call a telephone number would be amazing.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-14 04:16 PM
    Supposedly, Line has more features than BBM and offers retraction and timed messages, even audio and video, for free. If that's the case then why the hell pay for them?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 09:18 PM