So I remember reading somewhere on this site that you couldn't bbm over wifi. Well when I was updating my bold I turned mobile network off so no phone calls came in and I set wifi on. Well sure enough I forgot to turn my network on and I've been using bbm over just wifi. I thought it wasn't possible before?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-10 06:34 AM
    its possible, i have use bbm over wifi.
    06-12-10 06:47 AM
    If the PIN is registered to a BIS it will allow use of BBM over wifi because at that point its just a different data connection.

I dont think you can just go pick up any BB thats not active on any service and start using BBM over wifi.
    06-12-10 07:12 AM
    you need to be careful what you believe in these forums...there are a bunch of people who state things as facts when they are either opinion or conjecture..

wifi supports all data applications... IM, BBM, web, email etc etc..

So I remember reading somewhere on this site that you couldn't bbm over wifi. Well when I was updating my bold I turned mobile network off so no phone calls came in and I set wifi on. Well sure enough I forgot to turn my network on and I've been using bbm over just wifi. I thought it wasn't possible before?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-10 07:43 AM
    you need to be careful what you believe in these forums...there are a bunch of people who state things as facts when they are either opinion or conjecture..

wifi supports all data applications... IM, BBM, web, email etc etc..
    Correct you can use those once the device is active, but if you just bought a BlackBerry, say off Craigslist, could you turn on the Wifi and go ahead and use all those features?
    06-12-10 07:45 AM
    Here's the facts.

BBM is a BlackBerry specific activity For BBM to work you must have a working BlackBerry dataplan (BIS). BBM will then work over this dataplan.

With BIS working you can use BBM over WiFi.

If as has been suggested, you buy a BlackBerry from Craigslist and the BIS dataplan is still working (and beig paid for) then you can still use BBM over your WiFi even though you are not paying for a BlackBerry dataplan.

It day that the dataplan stops being paid for the BBM over WiFi will be unregistered and at the next Service Book send (which will probably be to day of the disconnection) BBM over WiFi will stop too.

This is an unlikely scenario, at best since you would also have access to any email accounts that the previos owner left on the BIS account.

The real world scenario is that you need a paid up dataplan BIS for BBM to work on a BlackBerry.
    06-12-10 07:55 AM
    With being on VZW and finally getting a phone with WiFi, getting emails and bbm while on the phone totally tripped me out at first, lol.
    06-12-10 11:37 AM
    So what you're saying is that as long as I'm paying for my data plan, I can turn off my mobile network, turn on wifi, connect to my home network, and should still be able to BBM, email, and surf the Internet on my BlackBerry Bold 9650?

I have terrible service in my apartment--dropped calls and no signal. I would still like to be able to receive emails and BBM on my BlackBerry. Since I have a wireless network in my apartment, as well as a wifi-enabled BlackBerry, and since I'm paying for a data plan for my BlackBerry on Verizon, would I be able to go about getting emails, BBM, and web over wifi?
    09-02-10 10:07 AM
    So what you're saying is that as long as I'm paying for my data plan, I can turn off my mobile network, turn on wifi, connect to my home network, and should still be able to BBM, email, and surf the Internet on my BlackBerry Bold 9650?

I have terrible service in my apartment--dropped calls and no signal. I would still like to be able to receive emails and BBM on my BlackBerry. Since I have a wireless network in my apartment, as well as a wifi-enabled BlackBerry, and since I'm paying for a data plan for my BlackBerry on Verizon, would I be able to go about getting emails, BBM, and web over wifi?
    Yes.

However, I just want to clear up one misconception that some people seem to have regarding Blackberries and Wifi.

What happens with OS5 & 6 is your blackberry can utilise a wifi connection to connect to a BIS Server Instead of the blackberry using your Mobile network connection.

You are still getting the desired result but remember, all the data is still coming to and from your BIS server...its just passing through your WiFi connection via your broadband link.

You will know when your blackberry is connected via WiFi when the WiFi icon turns White.

Just a note though, depending on your router you may find the connection to BIS via WiFi may be a little tempremental and your blackberry may disconnect and reconnect often. (WiFi icon changing from Grey to White).

I find that my Berry works better if add the phones LAN IP address into the DMZ (Demilitarised Zone) and turn on the blackberry's Firewall BUT this is a very personal preference, please dont do it unless you understand the fundamentals of what this means.
    Last edited by kparton; 09-08-10 at 04:04 AM.
    09-08-10 03:57 AM
    Would i get charged extra fees if i am overseas?
    09-25-10 12:06 PM
    What country are normally in?
    What carrier are you on currently? (In your normal country)
    What country are you traveling to? (ie what does "overseas" mean to you?)
    Do you have an International Data Plan on your contract?
    09-25-10 12:43 PM
    I am using Rogers in Canada.
    I'm in HK right now.
    I do not have international data plan on my contract...

I was thinking though.... since i'm connecting through wifi... i'm not really using international roaming for data... the internet connection through wifi connects to BIS
    09-25-10 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD