Hello everyone, like 1 week ago my provider suspended my data plan , Im on GSM all the time, so I started using my BBM with my WiFi in my house, college, etc. Last night I used my brothers SIM card in my bb , this morning when I switched again to my SIM card and try to use BBM doesnt work , the WiFi logo is grey but it says Im conected to my router, I can search the web and everything BUT BBM doesnt work .
    Any ideas whats going on ?

thanks!
    11-08-09 10:58 AM
    BBM will not work over Wi-Fi. You need the data plan.
    11-08-09 11:15 AM
    BBM will not work over Wi-Fi. You need the data plan.
    i'm going to go with that's not true.

search for wifi fix, that should fix it. or i'm wrong, but it's worth a shot, right?

(or is this just for the storm two?)
    11-08-09 11:21 AM
    it has been working for 1 week now...it suddenly stopped working
    11-08-09 11:22 AM
    I think its because the wifi logo is grey , how can i get it back to white like it was ?
    11-08-09 11:24 AM
    that's what i figured. search for the wifi fix for the storm two, i'm guessing it should be the same jist of things. i believe it's something like shutting it off and resending services books, then turning it back on?? i don't really remember but it should be easy to find. even in the blogs.
    11-08-09 11:28 AM
    i'm going to go with that's not true.

search for wifi fix, that should fix it. or i'm wrong, but it's worth a shot, right?

(or is this just for the storm two?)
    There is no fix. BBM uses RIM's servers. Without a data plan, you cannot connect to RIM's servers. There are apps that can be used for other types of IM such as Beejive, but nothing for BBM without a data plan.
    11-08-09 11:29 AM
    How has it been working for the past week then ? Im gonna search for the wifi fix to see if it works
    11-08-09 11:31 AM
    How has it been working for the past week then ? Im gonna search for the wifi fix to see if it works
    Did you just pull the battery recently? If so, you lost the service books. Those won't come back without the data plan.
    11-08-09 11:33 AM
    have you not been reading the post of plenty of people using these services over wifi? not to mention exactly what she's been saying, it's been working the past week until her wifi went grey. just like all the people that had the problems with their wifi on the storm two. they did something and got it to not be greyed out and all worked.
    11-08-09 11:33 AM
    do you know where I can find that FIX for the wifi ? I've been looking all over kinda going crazy
    11-08-09 11:34 AM
    have you not been reading the post of plenty of people using these services over wifi? not to mention exactly what she's been saying, it's been working the past week until her wifi went grey. just like all the people that had the problems with their wifi on the storm two. they did something and got it to not be greyed out and all worked.
    It is possible to use BBM over Wi-Fi if one has a data plan. Without the data plan, the service books for BBM will not be sent. He probably lost the service books when the phone was reset. He won't get them back until he pays his phone bill.
    11-08-09 11:36 AM
    I did pull out the battery ... does that mean I'm pretty much screwed ?
    11-08-09 11:36 AM
    Problems With The WiFi On Your BlackBerry Storm2?!? | CrackBerry.com is the fix.

lak, valid point. we were both correct then, hm?
    11-08-09 11:37 AM
    lol, yes. you can try, no harm no foul, but odds are kind of against you. breaks down to paying your bill then. (if that's the case.)
    11-08-09 11:38 AM
    recovering to an older backup wouldn't get his correct service books back, would it? why do i have this feeling it might do something?
    11-08-09 11:39 AM
    yup I'm gonna try that but its probably the service books thing,I'll have no bbm till I have money again
    11-08-09 11:43 AM
    recovering to an older backup wouldn't get his correct service books back, would it? why do i have this feeling it might do something?
    It couldn't hurt to try, but I don't know if it would work.
    11-08-09 11:47 AM
    Im doing that as Im typin I'll let you know if it worked
    11-08-09 11:50 AM
    I've actually never tried mine on wifi.
    11-08-09 03:21 PM
    Im doing that as Im typin I'll let you know if it worked
    any luck with anything?
    11-09-09 10:25 AM
    BBM does not work without a Blackberry Data Plan. There is no way at all around that. As lak611 mentioned, a Blackberry Data Plan is necessary so that your device can connect to RIM's servers.

Via UMA, it is possible to use BBM via a WiFi connection however all of the following restrictions must first be met:

1 - A Blackberry Data Plan must be added on your account
    2 - Your device needs to support UMA
    3 - Your carrier needs to support UMA
    4 - The device needs to correct UMA settings for that specific carrier
    5 - WiFi needs to be configured correctly on the device and a good connection needs to be in place
    6 - The wireless router / Internet connection needs to be configured properly to allow the correct ports for UMA to function.

Only then will UMA function on the device. If any of the steps are out of place then it will no longer function. In your case, step #1 is no longer available so this is not going to work.
    Last edited by aristile; 11-09-09 at 11:37 AM.
    11-09-09 11:35 AM
    BBM does not work without a Blackberry Data Plan. There is no way at all around that. As lak611 mentioned, a Blackberry Data Plan is necessary so that your device can connect to RIM's servers.

Via UMA, it is possible to use BBM via a WiFi connection however all of the following restrictions must first be met:

1 - A Blackberry Data Plan must be added on your account
    2 - Your device needs to support UMA
    3 - Your carrier needs to support UMA
    4 - The device needs to correct UMA settings for that specific carrier
    5 - WiFi needs to be configured correctly on the device and a good connection needs to be in place
    6 - The wireless router / Internet connection needs to be configured properly to allow the correct ports for UMA to function.

Only then will UMA function on the device. If any of the steps are out of place then it will no longer function. In your case, step #1 is no longer available so this is not going to work.
    aristile is absolutely 100% correct. You need a data plan to use BBM. All these new people need to listen up and stop trying to argue a moot point. There is no Wi-Fi fix for BBM. There is only data plan or no data plan. Deal with the answer you've been given as it is 100% correct or move on and learn for yourself the hard way. Either way, BBM won't work without a data plan.
    11-09-09 12:40 PM
    aristile is absolutely 100% correct. You need a data plan to use BBM. All these new people need to listen up and stop trying to argue a moot point. There is no Wi-Fi fix for BBM. There is only data plan or no data plan. Deal with the answer you've been given as it is 100% correct or move on and learn for yourself the hard way. Either way, BBM won't work without a data plan.
    Im going to have to disagree with that... I have the iphone and the Storm 2... I have my sim card in the iphone yet I still receive email and bbm in wifi spots on my storm2 it is NOT connected to any carrier only connected through wifi...
    02-28-10 12:36 PM
    the fix for this is simple... your PIN is currently LOCKED to the carrier so since your account is suspened.. your pin is also unavailable..call your carrier and tell them you want to sell your phone but want to wipe your phone clean so no one can recieve your emails and such... this will unlock you pin ..log in through wifi and your up in business..
    02-28-10 12:38 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD