Taking in all the information from yesterday and the past, bringing all the pieces together THIS seems very likely.

BBM could very possible be the Next Big Social Network.

Let me break it down:

1. We already have a great chat application. Including group chat.
    2. Its more than just chat, we have a high sense of engagement with BBM (as Thor mentioned 50% of the 10billion daily bbms are responded to within 20 seconds)
    3. We have status updates and profile pictures. These in itself are often overlooked but great features. (if only we could add likes to updates and profile pics)

Ok so the above can be achieved with many other apps on the market today. They are the basics but now lets look at why BBM is in a unique position.

4. BBM Voice calls, Video calls and screen share. (yes again many apps out there that do voice/video but BBM has screen share and it better implemented overall)
    5. BBM Channels. I havent tested this myself yet but from what I have seen it a great service in parallel to twitter and more. Instant connectivity with your target audience in a beautiful UI.
    6. BBM connected apps. There is still a lot of potential to be explored here and I have a feeling that we will see apps being given more abilities to better utilize this. Besides this makes our BBM ID 'The ID' (similar to what fb already does)
    7. BBM Music. Remember this anyone? It was a great concept/business model. Bad marketing, different roll out times in different markets and almost zero awareness outside BB die hards led to its failure. But I have a strong feeling BB is revive this considering where they are taking BBM now. If they do it right this time, it could be BIG.
    8. BBM going cross platform. Yes this is important and now it all adds up. I think BB already had the idea of a big social network when they took this step. You services are only useful as the people who use it. All the above mentioned things are great on paper. But with a maximum reach of 60million active BBM users it only makes this 'a neat app on a niche platform'. For BBM to become the next big social platform it needs a much much larger reach. There fore make it available to EVERYONE. (unless you count a small % of WP users)

All this stored in the cloud, accessed with your BB ID on any device you own. BBM is the most instant way of connecting with people.
    I see something along these lines being BBMs unique value proposition and it makes a lot of sense.

I think for those of us who use BBM its almost a given that we know it will catch-on on other platforms knowing how efficient, reliable and feature rich it is.

It got features from facebook - status updates, messaging, profile pics. Google+ - Circles (groups). Twitter - BBM Channels. And more with all the other things.

All the other posts about BBM going cross platform might have not considered the bigger picture here. BBM could very possible be the Next Big Social Network.
    05-15-13 01:19 PM
    Great post. I can totally see this happening. And the turn of it all is continuing to develop BBM to make it greater and greater while expanding it to Android and IPhone. I think when it's up to par across the top 3 platforms after a year of success, then they need to charge 99� per year though for non BB users. It only makes sense and would be totally worth it!

Sent from my Galaxy S2 Ep-Touch using CB Forums mobile app
    monil11 likes this.
    05-15-13 01:25 PM
    BBM does nothing differently than what is already out there

BBM Channels = Google + Communities, Facebook Pages
    BBM Voice and Video = Hangouts, Skype, Facebook Messenger
    BBM Cross Platform? = Hangouts, FB Messenger, Whatsapp, Skype, etc
    BBM Music? = Google Music and Google All Access (spotify like)
    BBM App intergration = Every major mobile OS..

I called this yesterday, that the "coming this summer" thing for cross platform BBM is not going to cut it...

BBM has good potential, but it won't be able to get through the forest of major players...
    thenjustinsaid likes this.
    05-15-13 01:40 PM
    If this had been a year or more ago it would be and instant win. Now they will have to work hard to get there, but I still think it's worth it. I for 1 am really looking forward to BBM on Android. (and fully plan on converting the apk file to a bar file for the PlayBook if it's still not here by then.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 Ep-Touch using CB Forums App
    05-15-13 01:59 PM

I called this yesterday, that the "coming this summer" thing for cross platform BBM is not going to cut it...

BBM has good potential, but it won't be able to get through the forest of major players...
    You are right. BBM does nothing new. In that I think you are wondering why would BBM succeed as a big social network.But you kind of answered question yourself. BBM does all those things from different platforms all in one, it does them reliably and its built for mobile!

BTW: all the other cross platform platforms you mentioned are either not catching on for some reason (hangouts) or just dont offer the same feature set as BBM (fb, whatsapp and skype)
    BBM App integration = I dont think any mobile platform has used this to its slightest potential yet. Yes Android allows you to share anything from one app to the other but it doesnt have ONE BASE (BBM) and the ID (BB ID) is not strong in all that sharing.
    dusdal likes this.
    05-15-13 02:07 PM
    I agree with the OP. The difference between BBM and all these other social networking apps you are talking about is that 9 of 10 are going to download BBM once available on other platforms and it will become their number one messaging application on their phone. Having BBM channels built into it = GAME OVER for these other apps. It just needs to be executed flawlessly..

It's a brilliant idea and the only reason blackberry is offering BBM to other platforms

Posted via CB10 powered by BB10
    05-15-13 02:14 PM

But which one of those does it all in one?....ahh the point my friend

Flicked From CB10 On My Z10
    dusdal and Jerale Hoard like this.
    05-15-13 02:33 PM
    Kik, whatsapp, and any other messenger out there just didn't cut it for me. Whatsapp was close but no cigar. Its why I came back to BB 2 times already. Although I'm iphone going on 2yrs and plan on staying, I must say this should have been a reality a long time ago. But I'm not one to say it's too late. This new BBM is much more polished and interactive than the rest. They cannot come close. Even it was still the BBM of old I can see it becoming wildly popular. The one thing it has above all is that its highly addictive. No other messenger out there feels the same. Its that simple.
    05-15-13 02:42 PM

Google.....
    05-15-13 02:46 PM
    Google.....
    Not from the same app though unless I'm mistaken.
    And as you can see from my posts, I do have some Android devices in use at the moment.
    Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 via the CB Forums App
    05-15-13 02:49 PM
    Teens and young adults love the idea of BBM. Posting status' and updating their profile pics constantly, they live for that kinda stuff (sadly enough). Again everyone will download BBM once available. What's app will become obsolete.

Posted via CB10 powered by BB10
    05-15-13 02:57 PM
    I don't know which of the non-BBM apps will or will not become obsolete, but I agree with the OP that the potential for BBM as a single application capable of doing so much is huge. Unlike some people who think/believe that the BBRY brass are idiots, I believe they know exactly what they are doing. Here is hoping for a flawless execution.
    05-15-13 03:10 PM

who is dgree guy all your post are negative do you even have a bb10 device?? All you do is write everything BB off.You starting to just sound like a troll disturbing good threads.Im a watch your post now.

Anyway as Jes is saying are they all packaged into 1 thing? slick and easy to use?? Why are people still talking about hangouts seriously how long this thing been around still ain't poppin.You get that bull**** join g+ service pop up that gets rejected everytime im on desktop how the hell its gonna get love on even smaller screens with people that have attention spam of goldfish.Its so good it should of pop off by now except every year just gets rehyped,repackaged same story.its so good yet no one is talking about it.I have never heard of any goggle messaging tool ever be mention of any convo of top messaging apps.How are you and tech sites still championing this after years of it not blowing up.Yet you write off BBM without it releasing or even seeing it work.I should charlie murphy you for your nonsense.

google this google that its never been a top player in messaging space but its best based on what??

No one has to reinvent the wheel they just got to make it better.Looking at hands videos its a nice app well packaged the beauty of it its all within bbm.And a chat and invite are all swipes away.And there's no intrusion of privacy to personal contacts everything ''flows'' looking at the hands on video its very intimate experience your in BBM deep.Its like all the the social apps wrapped into one place all a swipe away its really good the use of the active frame paradigm its awesome.I actually like the app you can engage randoms and not be forced to have them as contacts its blackberry balance of true friends and virtual friends .It will defo be a top downloaded app.
    agp101 likes this.
    05-15-13 03:10 PM
    i would love to see BBM as the next big social network! One of my good friends cant get a BB until her upgrade next year and is dying to have BBM on her HTC OneX. Most ex-BB users that i know miss BBM and are really excited about this cross-platform move. Some are even considering coming back to BB due to updated BBM and BB10 platform.
    05-15-13 03:27 PM
    who is dgree guy all your post are negative do you even have a bb10 device?? All you do is write everything BB off.You starting to just sound like a troll disturbing good threads.
    Exactly! Trolls are annoying.
    axllebeer likes this.
    05-15-13 03:31 PM
    I was going to write the same thread lol.

I'm on BlackBerry Beta, have been for a few years, and I got BBC as soon as they announced it on the live feed.

It is missing some features but it's still in its infancy so that's understandable. The best way I can describe it is Twitter on steroids. I also feel that to male channels even download able was to make BBM cross platform.

TH said that there will be updated for BBC on an almost weekly basis and that falls in perfect with how they want BBM launched this summer.

Yes the others won't get BBC right away like us hut we will perfect it so that when it goes Cross like the other features it will be perfect. BBC is going to be HUGE for BlackBerry and who ever thought of it deserves a massive raise

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 03:56 PM
    That is the genius part, all in one! Potential is huge and it is quite brilliant. I think the biggest issue would be is get that to the masses quickly enough, before others do!
    05-15-13 04:34 PM
    who is dgree guy all your post are negative do you even have a bb10 device?? All you do is write everything BB off.You starting to just sound like a troll disturbing good threads.Im a watch your post now.

Anyway as Jes is saying are they all packaged into 1 thing? slick and easy to use?? Why are people still talking about hangouts seriously how long this thing been around still ain't poppin.You get that bull**** join g+ service pop up that gets rejected everytime im on desktop how the hell its gonna get love on even smaller screens with people that have attention spam of goldfish.Its so good it should of pop off by now except every year just gets rehyped,repackaged same story.its so good yet no one is talking about it.I have never heard of any goggle messaging tool ever be mention of any convo of top messaging apps.How are you and tech sites still championing this after years of it not blowing up.Yet you write off BBM without it releasing or even seeing it work.I should charlie murphy you for your nonsense.

google this google that its never been a top player in messaging space but its best based on what??

No one has to reinvent the wheel they just got to make it better.Looking at hands videos its a nice app well packaged the beauty of it its all within bbm.And a chat and invite are all swipes away.And there's no intrusion of privacy to personal contacts everything ''flows'' looking at the hands on video its very intimate experience your in BBM deep.Its like all the the social apps wrapped into one place all a swipe away its really good the use of the active frame paradigm its awesome.I actually like the app you can engage randoms and not be forced to have them as contacts its blackberry balance of true friends and virtual friends .It will defo be a top downloaded app.
    If you are trolling my posts you know I use to own a Z10 and still own a bold 9000.

I just don't like the misinformation that is spread around here... I think it degrades BBRY name. I actually liked the Z10 a lot.. it just isn't there yet... Ecosystem is seriously lacking and usability can be improved greatly.

Did you just say what does Google know about messaging!? Ever heard of gmail? Lol

There is nothing BBM channels will bring that will be groundbreaking... I want groundbreaking things from BBRY. Don't you?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    05-15-13 09:28 PM
    There is nothing BBM channels will bring that will be groundbreaking... I want groundbreaking things from BBRY. Don't you?
    Have you tried the Beta? If so then you'll get it immediately, nothing like it and patented by BBRY.

I'm sure those who have tried the BBM Channels beta can see the direction that BBTY is going.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 10:22 PM
    I've used almost all instant messaging platform and IMO bbm is by far superior. Degree you can disagree with my opinion, I've already returned the favor and disagreed with all of yours. Your posts rarely make sense to me on these forums. You always take the role of antagonist no matter the thread, which in turn doesn't make you very credible nor genuine.

Posted via CB10
    djdragon likes this.
    05-15-13 10:29 PM
    I've used almost all instant messaging platform and IMO bbm is by far superior. Degree you can disagree with my opinion, I've already returned the favor and disagreed with all of yours. Your posts rarely make sense to me on these forums. You always take the role of antagonist no matter the thread, which in turn doesn't make you very credible nor genuine.

Posted via CB10
    I give credit where credit is due.... I can be critical of certain aspects of BB10 and still like the other aspects. I am also tech agnostic, so I just like to try different platforms and put them through their paces.... If I need to I will call out certain dumb things about android, WP8, BB10, iOS, Mac, Windows 8, you name it....

Can you say the same?
    05-16-13 01:27 PM
    05-16-13 08:42 PM
    Not trying to jack the thread...

BlackBerry Channel is massive news for BBM. I believe this is the reason that BBM is going cross platform. It certainly wouldn't be as effective if it was a pure BlackBerry only customers for the brands that can make their own channels.

I downloaded this right after the announcement at BlackBerry Live and automatically saw the potential for this add on to our beloved BBM. I have also been posting my ideas for future features on the forums. BlackBerry Beta tram has even already done a survey for it, they mean business with this add on.

As it has been stated here BBM already has great features and if you mix that together with a twitter like app you have a true powerhouse of social-ness.

TH is building a true mobile computing platform with BlackBerry and I feel that Channels is going to be a HUGE part of all this when it's done.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 08:56 PM
    Google.....
    Wow, since you seem like a smart guy, Ill give u credit and assume you weren't paying close attention when you posted that. The whole point of this thread was that BBM THE APP provides services that many other services provide separately. And then to answer who can do everything BBM can do All in one you say Google. You do realize Google is not an APP that does all this in one right? If you are just trying to spread negativity, at least build some credibility with what you say.
    07-24-13 05:32 PM
    Not sure why people are posting stuff like this. Facebook already has IM with VoIP and Group Chat, and will probably end up having Video Chat as well.

BBM at its core is an IM service. IM services are commodity now. Adding more stuff on top of it won't turn it into the next facebook, just like adding more IM features to Facebook won't turn it into the next Skype or WhatsApp.
    07-24-13 08:44 PM
31 12