Now that BlackBerry is going big with BBM, I think they need to strongly consider a web interface for the messaging client. All of their competitors, with the exception of maybe Whatsapp, offer some sort of desktop solution. I guess the easiest solution could possibly be to build it into the BlackBerry Link software, but as a Linux user, I would prefer a true web experience.
    05-16-13 05:58 AM
    I think this is a brilliant idea!
    05-16-13 06:29 AM
    I think it's almost necessary at this point.
    05-16-13 06:45 AM
    This is long overdue, I thought BBM desktop was on its way

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 06:46 AM
    BBM desktop and web client are only the logical next steps after the maturity of the app on iOS and Android.
    The backend to support this is already in place they can easily hook into this backend and provide these clients.

A viable Skype competitor will be born in the free communication category.
    05-16-13 07:00 AM
    I totally agree. A web interface is badly needed now that BBM is going cross-platform.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-16-13 09:02 AM
    Yep an HTML5 BBM webpage would be pretty awesome and would really extend BBM to any device from PC to tablets regardless if theres an app on the particular platform.
    05-16-13 09:51 AM
    Yes, a web interface is very important.

Also, we need a desktop client.
    To compete with Skype and to deploy it in businessess for internal communications.
    If the enterprise uses BES, it's included, if the enterprise has no BES, give them the opportunity to licence BBM only and bundle it with a smartphone app as well as improved security over the costless consumer version.

The BlackBerry branded social network is an interesting concept.
    A web interface for channels is also needed.

Posted via CB10
    allen832008 and Zirak like this.
    05-16-13 10:46 AM
    Yes, a web interface is very important.

Also, we need a desktop client.
    To compete with Skype and to deploy it in businessess for internal communications.
    If the enterprise uses BES, it's included, if the enterprise has no BES, give them the opportunity to licence BBM only and bundle it with a smartphone app as well as improved security over the costless consumer version.

The BlackBerry branded social network is an interesting concept.
    A web interface for channels is also needed.

Posted via CB10
    Very good idea of the bundling and BES in enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-16-13 11:08 AM
    Very good idea of the bundling and BES in enterprise.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks!
    I just saw that I made a little mistake

It should have read as BES/Mobile Fusion.
    Like that they add even more value for enterprises, so that they want to adapt Mobile Fusion in a BYOD environment.

But I guess that you read it like that anyway

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 11:29 AM
    On the consumer side, I think the web interface should also include BBM Channels like on mobile. If you're going to have access to messaging, you should have the social aspect as well.
    05-19-13 06:31 PM
    I agree fully with everyone 100% that Blackberry MUST do this. Not only does it make current users happy, but it builds brand awareness which is essential to growing.

My concern for the current state is that the competitors aside from whatsapp, have their chats built into other products such as Google Hangouts being accessible in Gmail, Skype being accessible in Outlook now, and even iMessage being built into all the Macs now. If Blackberry does not make a desktop or web client, they are just shooting themselves in the foot. I hope they learned from the past, that it's OK to do what others are doing.
    05-19-13 07:28 PM
    I agree fully with everyone 100% that Blackberry MUST do this. Not only does it make current users happy, but it builds brand awareness which is essential to growing.

My concern for the current state is that the competitors aside from whatsapp, have their chats built into other products such as Google Hangouts being accessible in Gmail, Skype being accessible in Outlook now, and even iMessage being built into all the Macs now. If Blackberry does not make a desktop or web client, they are just shooting themselves in the foot. I hope they learned from the past, that it's OK to do what others are doing.
    Totally agree. Access from desktop seems essential at this stage. Really surprised Whatsapp hasn't done it yet.
    05-19-13 09:48 PM
    I believe its coming, from what i've heard it's already being used internally.
    We're still in the early stages of a comeback that's been worked out for over 2 years. To be sure BlackBerry is way ahead of us here.
    We can expect a lot more developments. A steady stream, spaced out and intended to keep BlackBerry in the news for a long time to come.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 07:22 AM
    I would think it a no-brainer....and really...it should be extremely easy to make (unless there are complications I'm not thinking of). Assume they are just waiting at the moment.
    05-20-13 07:25 AM
    Would be awesome indeed

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 07:32 AM
    If they can do it without compromising pin to pin security, go for it. Otherwise I would be strongly against it.

In five years, the desktop as we know it won't really exist anymore, except for people doing work that requires heavy processing like video editing or autocad.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 07:39 AM
    i need to have bbm on my playbook...talk about desktop later :P
    it would be really sad that my iphone will have bbm this summer but not my playbook
    05-20-13 07:57 AM
    i need to have bbm on my playbook...talk about desktop later :P
    it would be really sad that my iphone will have bbm this summer but not my playbook
    Very true. The update to the PlayBook needs to happen.... and soon!

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 08:17 PM
    20th commenter

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 10:56 PM
    20th commenter

Posted via CB10
    Somebody had to do it!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 08:11 AM
    Definitely need a Web client. Would benefit channels tremendously. Especially for business users.

Posted via the Super BlackBerry Z10
    05-23-13 09:49 AM
    I agree a web client would be a great move. I was begging for Web presence for BBM music (RIP... for now?) but w BBM going big it would be the right thing to do. especially to grow BBM Channels.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 12:55 PM
    I've thought this for a long time, I totally agree. I think the concept could make so many possibilities to come to bbm. BlackBerry Link needs to be improved upon to make it more interactive to bbm. I think they have that in mind now that we use our bbid to access link. But another question arises, do you think bbm music will come back? I liked it for a while but now that bbm is going cross platform and with the introduction of channels could the experience be improved?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 04:08 PM
    Whilst I agree with all of the comments that web access would be great (for things like BBM or BBM Channels), it almost contradicts the message that BlackBerry put out via the Live Keynote - that message being the 'mobile first' approach.

Who knows what the future may hold but it doesn't look like BlackBerry will be focusing on this type of implementation any time soon. They have clearly stated that their focus will be on 'mobile computing'.

They have made provisions for channel owners (BBM Channels) to be able to manage their respective channels (post, moderate comments and create new channels) via the Web - which I think is a step in the right direction but we will have to see about the rest - at least for now anyway.
    Last edited by Mr_F; 05-23-13 at 06:12 PM.
    05-23-13 05:57 PM
26 12