BlackBerry's India managing director is not unduly worried about competition from instant messenger WhatsApp. Sunil Lalvani said the BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) engaged its users more than the app, despite having fewer users.

In a study conducted by BlackBerry a month ago, it was found BBM and WhatsApp users exchanged 10 billion messages a day on each platform. The catch, however, is in that BBM has a fifth of the users of WhatsApp at 85 million, including those who use it on Android and Apple's iOS platforms. WhatsApp, recently acquired by Facebook for $19 billion, has 450 million users.

"The level of engagement of users with BBM is more. It also shows that BBM users are high-data consuming customers who communicate more," Lalvani told Business Standard. BBM opened its platform to users of other platforms like Android and iOS six months ago, when it had 60 million users. Ever since, it quickly added 25 million users.

Lalvani said BBM is preferred over other chap apps as they are more private and personal. "We do not publish details like 'last seen at' and others. Also, one cannot pull out saved contacts of a mobile handset and add it to the chat. One has to exchange a PIN number in order to be added into the group," he said.

BBM is a 'closed' chat application, while other popular instant messengers are open, the Canada-based technology company claims. "BBM can co-exist with other messengers. But, BBM is used for secure and personal conversations with friends and family. Other instant messengers are where users are more vocal in nature with group chats exchanging jokes and others,” Lalvani said.

BBM also has a unique feature which tells the user that a message sent has been read by the intended person. The other chat apps indicate the time spent on the application and not necessarily if the recipient has read the message intended.

BBM IS THE BEST

SOURCE :BUISSNES STANDARD

THIS ALL MEANS

BBM:
    85 MILLION USERS

10 BILLION MESSAGES A DAY

WHATSAPP

450 MILLION USERS

10 BILLION MESSAGES A DAY
    Last edited by FOR RIM; 03-07-14 at 07:46 AM.
    03-06-14 08:12 PM
    I'm thinking more and more that based on this article, assuming every word recorded from the mouth is word-by-word accurately, BBM isn't looking to dominate to be the number 1 chat app. However, BBRY would be looking at options how to make BBM relevant despite whatever messaging app you have.
    03-06-14 08:39 PM
    Thanks

Link?

Posted via CB10
    03-06-14 08:39 PM
    Post edited read
    03-07-14 07:46 AM
    I see that, thanks for the summary. Do you have the actual URL link handy?

I wasn't able to find the article via Google.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 08:54 AM
    It's good news.. can you please get the link here.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 09:59 AM
    Interesting

Sent from the phone of the gods.....Z30
    03-07-14 10:08 AM
    Having used both, I could have told you that BBM is far more engaging.
    03-07-14 10:46 AM
    03-07-14 10:56 AM
    Information about number of messages is incorrect for whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 11:34 AM
    I think that high data consumption may be due to Channels, it can use enormous amounts of data if your looking at HQ pics or any GIF images. I once used 300mb of data in a matter of 20 minutes one time. I learned never to use Channel's unless connected to WiFi. I wish there were some studies on this.

Zed30
    03-07-14 11:42 AM
    Information about number of messages is incorrect for whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    What is the real figure?

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 11:42 AM
    What is the real figure?

Posted via CB10
    Latest reported is 27 billion but that's from 2013. I'd assume the figure is higher now.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 12:23 PM
    Wow, not even close.

Yes I see a report from April 2013 where they claim to be sending 20 billion per day.

They had just passed 200 million users at that point.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 12:47 PM
    Wow, not even close.

Yes I see a report from April 2013 where they claim to be sending 20 billion per day.

They had just passed 200 million users at that point.

Posted via CB10
    That would still be impressive,

But there's a lot that we're assuming and we don't know, unless anyone can clarify,

That the 10billion figure quoted is global etc

And could anyone link the BlackBerry report that's being referred to have included these 10 billion figure?

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    03-07-14 12:53 PM