... that I had picked the right platform all along. BB10.

On Saturday afternoon (2pm UK, morning for those of you in North America) watching all the Android users salivate over getting their hands on BBM was like being sat at home all alone when you knew your ex partner was going to a party with the bloke they ran off with a week ago.

I felt awful. Maybe it was time to consider the others. I don't know why it affected me so much but I was beginning (only beginning, mind!) to start to consider breaking my addiction. Facing a future somewhere else. Somewhere new.

Over the last few weeks I've been checking other people's phones. Asking them to show me stuff. Surreptitiously watching a friend as they navigated around the OS to see how someone who knew what they were doing got around and my tiny bit of market research had left me even more depressed!

I'd already discounted iPhone as a possibility, my other half got me an iPod a while back, bless her, and I'd used iTunes to convert over some CD's. After that it WOULDN'T LEAVE ME ALONE! Even today, after getting rid of the damn thing ages ago, up pops an update. The phone zips around great - but the harassment was enough!

WP? Got a couple of friends on that but when they show me things it looks a bit messy for my tastes and I hate Windows 8 with a passion (Windows 7 all the way here!) and this push to the Cloud MS is on which is becoming annoying (anyone who has encountered Office 2013 will know what I mean - I DON'T WANT IT IN THE CLOUD, I WANT IT ON MY PC - STOP FORCING ME!!) means I'm not keen there either.

So, Android then. Loads of apps, big beefy specs. Happy days! But when my friends showed me stuff on their phones we seemed to be encountering a spinning green circle a lot of the time and a couple of times my Z10 was getting a lovely signal whilst friends got naff all BUT, if BB is going down, it looks ok. Hey, I put up with BB07 and it's faster than that. And all those lovely apps - I can do this...

But then something happened. Something, in a weird way, that was wonderful. Something that, as an average Joe, with no experience of Android, I didn't realise happened. And that something made me more convinced than ever that, as long as BlackBerry was still pumping out devices of the quality of the Z10 and the Q10, that I was here for the ride, come what may.

Some bright sparks made 30 bogus BBM apps. Some of which, I understand downloaded virus's to people's handsets. I dig more. A friend of mine tells me of his 12 year old son who was ripped off �5 downloading a bogus app on his Samsung. Another tells of a virus that caused havoc on his HTC.

My God, it's a bear pit over there! What's real and what's not?? How does a newbie tell?

You can say what you like about the lack of apps on BB World but I've never encountered this!

I think I'll stick with my written off inventory thing that gets a cracking signal and seems to do what it's supposed to, thanks, in a safe environment!

And so, in the end, for better or worse and for my sins my friends...

That's why #ichooseblackberry10
    09-23-13 03:24 PM
    Great post. Love it!
    bigglybobblyboo likes this.
    09-23-13 03:31 PM
    What is actually important is actual use and active users rather than downloads and user names. There are plenty of apps and services that are downloaded and signed up by millions but only a fraction of those users actually are active. I've downloaded and signed up for apps and then decided it wasn't something I wanted or needed plenty of times and I'm sure you all have. Facebook and Google+ are examples of that. So we'll see how actual use it because that will be the most important thing over time.
    09-23-13 03:45 PM
    I understand what you mean. Hail to the OP.
    09-23-13 03:51 PM
    Excellent thoughts!

Now that a real buyer made a bid for BlackBerry, for the first time in months I see a future where I can continue to use the best mobile computing device there is. I don't have to consider taking a giant step backward to a Windows Phone or a giant step into the unknown of an Ubuntu phone. I see a chance for BlackBerry to fix the silly mistakes of current management. To continue making a phone pros want.
    Yes! I feel invigorated right now (oh God, I hope they turn out to be ok!).

Love your signature by the way, very apt!
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    09-23-13 03:52 PM
    Do you click on every pop-up ad or spam email link you receive? Your browser must have 50 toolbars by now.
    09-25-13 04:02 PM
    Well worded OP. You are very enthusiastic and express it well. I wish I could eloquently string words together when someone says to me "Why did you buy THAT phone?"

Apparently "Because it's not as stupid as your face!" isn't a good reply.

Who knew?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 04:38 PM
    As long as the rest of the company isn't managed the same way cross platform bbm was managed then you should be fine. Sure, the launch was a fiasco, but the phones are solid.
    09-25-13 04:48 PM
    Well worded OP. You are very enthusiastic and express it well. I wish I could eloquently string words together when someone says to me "Why did you buy THAT phone?"

Apparently "Because it's not as stupid as your face!" isn't a good reply.

Who knew?

Posted via CB10
    To be honest, the enthusiasm isn't difficult when faced with the options!
    09-25-13 04:55 PM
    I have a friend on Android and he always says that malware is not a concern as long as you stick to apps in the store.

LOL...ok bro.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    09-25-13 08:54 PM
    I have a friend on Android and he always says that malware is not a concern as long as you stick to apps in the store.

LOL...ok bro.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    I, and my family, have been using Android for 3 or 4 years. Hundreds of apps downloaded and years of banking on our phones and we haven't experienced malware at all. Got it bro?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    Tre Lawrence and JasW like this.
    09-25-13 08:57 PM
    Ha! I'm in a pissy mood and was prepared to vent on you OP! Lol. Great post. Loved it!

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-25-13 09:09 PM
    I, and my family, have been using Android for 3 or 4 years. Hundreds of apps downloaded and years of banking on our phones and we haven't experienced malware at all. Got it bro?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    Ditto. I review Android apps for a living, and haven't gotten any.

I can tell you this: some BB10 users are way more terrified of the Android boogie man than actual Android users LOL.
    09-25-13 09:14 PM
    Ditto. I review Android apps for a living, and haven't gotten any.

I can tell you this: some BB10 users are way more terrified of the Android boogie man than actual Android users LOL.
    Umm that's to be expected. No disrespect. But if those people with Android were scared, well they'd never have gone with Android in the first place. Just saying.

Anyway, my father has an HTC One and somehow the phone kept downloading apps on its own. No bull. Perhaps a one in a million scenario. But it happened. It went away when he deleted a specific app.

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    09-25-13 09:21 PM
    Getting apps from the play store is like buying stuff in real life, you got the original (say PlayStation) and the fakes (polystation). You just have to research a bit, telling a real app from a fake takes common sense ( which some people lack), but its easy telling them appart.

Sent from my LT28i using Tapatalk 2
    raysgrumpy likes this.
    09-25-13 09:24 PM
    I love this thread almost as much as I love my Z10

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    09-25-13 09:24 PM