The way that Samsung are pushing BBM in some markets that certainly seems to be the plan.
    Never mind all that, is that Johnny Red as your avatar??
    08-27-13 05:33 PM
    Never mind all that, is that Johnny Red as your avatar??
    It is indeed!

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    08-28-13 02:37 AM
    How are you going to convince people to use something that has less users and less features than what they use now
    Apparently it's nostalgia that will make people want to use BBM. People who used to use Blackberry will supposedly go back to it even though they are using a different smartphone platform with their current contacts. Not only that but they apparently convince others, who have never used BBM, to adopt it. We'll see pretty soon, won't we?
    mujahid 10 likes this.
    08-28-13 02:46 AM
    I hesitate to come to shady conclusions, but lately I've been knocking around the idea that BBM going cross platform is predominately intended to increase the value of BBM solely to improve the negotiations during their "strategic options".

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I heard something similar about BlackBerry's idea to split off BBM into its own company.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1047
    08-28-13 02:52 AM
    It is indeed!

Top man!

One man, one stolen Hurricane...

Feel it, Swipe it, Love it. BlackBerry Z10...
    08-28-13 02:55 AM
    It is indeed!

Nevermind all that and Johnny Red, Is that a Motorola RAZR i? LOL.
    08-28-13 06:18 AM
    On topic, I am not seeing how BBM could be an app magnet at all. I see it as a move to increase value of the company as well. And that is provided that the app works great.
    HUNTZODIAC likes this.
    08-28-13 06:20 AM
    Does anyone actually know when bbm is going to be released for iOS or android? I have an iphone5 I'm dying to use bbm on lol
    08-28-13 06:25 AM
    Does anyone actually know when bbm is going to be released for iOS or android? I have an iphone5 I'm dying to use bbm on lol
    Sometime in September.

Blackberry refuse to release a date..
    They announced it way too soon in attempting to gather positive press.
    08-28-13 06:43 AM
    I hesitate to come to shady conclusions, but lately I've been knocking around the idea that BBM going cross platform is predominately intended to increase the value of BBM solely to improve the negotiations during their "strategic options".

Ding ding ding! It is that and.....well what else are you going to do? You have to plow on, with BBM, BES, and z30...because.....well there's nothing else to do! They aren't HP, or Apple, Sammy, or MS....they can't just pull out, and scrap the division! ;-)

As for BBM, it has....(here I go with "percentages" again...even though, it inherently is wrong!) about a 5% chance of becoming a top contender in it's category. IF BB actually gets it out quickly (should have been 2 years ago), and bug-free, AND fully-featured.....that may be closer to 25%. All of that isn't really likely, so let's go with 5%.

As some others are saying, it will do absolutely nothing to help the BB10 app situation.....actually, if it actually were a success, it could lead to the rather darkly humorous situation of BBM companion apps being developed for ios and android, with BB10 left out! Ooh, I sense some biting, but true, BGR headlines in that event!

No, BB wouldn't have the leverage to insist BB10 apps be made.....if they tried that, they'd regret it. It hardly matters though, because chances are that by the time BBM comes out with solid, full-featured versions, BB10 will be dust in the wind....though I hope for some of the good-hearted fans that a robust home-brew community might keep it viable for a while!

BBM is the launching of one of their biggest lifeboats from the titanic. Bon voyage and Godspeed!!! Let us hope the fortunate souls on board can prosper!!! But chances are with skipper Mike, first mate in charge of apps Gilligan, along with professor Heins, and Thursten Boulben the third, that the lifeboat wont' survive it's three hour tour either. It would mean more time to concentrate on their other projects though....an internet of coconuts and pineapples attached to a radio, with which they hope to attract rescue.
    08-28-13 06:49 AM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Let's hope BlackBerry executes this flawlessly and with impressive features... and soon!! can't wait!!

From my Q10

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 06:56 AM
    BBM will not be succesfull because it doesn't ad contacts automaticly. I have 300 + contacts and not 1 is using BBM. I have never used BBM because I don't know how and I use BlackBerry for 5 years. Whatsapp is more usersfrendly

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 07:54 AM

I thought that too.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 08:08 AM
    My concern is that it will allow cheap Android device to decimate marketshare in BlackBerry's strong developing markets (South Africa, Indonesia, Nigeria, etc.) by removing a huge barrier to not switch platforms. BlackBerry doesn't have a low price BB10 device for these markets, but Samsung will have low cost Android devices now with BBM on them. Cross platform BBM will be the demise of BBOS IMHO, which I wouldn't have an issue with if those people were being onboarded to BB10, but I just see these customers as leaving and never coming back. Might not happen, but low cost Android devices can do a lot more than low cost BBOS devices, and data plans in these markets, just like everywhere else in the world are becoming more affordable all the time.
    Nope! It may have a strong possibility it will only be available for Samsung devices running Android Jellybean 4.0 and up or 4.2! Just look at the type of phones Samsung says it will be available on ( The Galaxy Series). And how cheap the Galaxy Series phones will be in these countries? Not so cheap at all. Cause where I live the Samsung Galaxy series phones are costly! So people, there is a up side and a down side to this whole situation.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 08:19 AM
    Nope! It may have a strong possibility it will only be available for Samsung devices running Android Jellybean 4.0 and up or 4.2! Just look at the type of phones Samsung says it will be available on ( The Galaxy Series). And how cheap the Galaxy Series phones will be in these countries? Not so cheap at all. Cause where I live the Samsung Galaxy series phones are costly! So people, there is a up side and a down side to this whole situation.
    If your argument holds merit, then you're also arguing that cross-platform BBM will not have much of an impact on Android users. Fortunately for BlackBerry it's not true.

BBM will not be exclusive to Samsung, and not just to the Galaxy series though. The vast majority of Android users with a phone a year old will be able to run BBM.

The Nexus 4 now costs $200, unlocked. There will be many other phones from Samsung and others that will be available at that price point.
    08-28-13 08:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    BBM will be available to ANY phone thats 4.0+.
    08-28-13 09:07 AM
    Let's hope BlackBerry executes this flawlessly and with impressive features... and soon!! can't wait!!
    The features I am not worried about but flawless execution is something that I stopped associating with BlackBerry a while ago. That is a lot of hope.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    08-28-13 09:18 AM
    Apparently it's nostalgia that will make people want to use BBM. People who used to use Blackberry will supposedly go back to it even though they are using a different smartphone platform with their current contacts. Not only that but they apparently convince others, who have never used BBM, to adopt it. We'll see pretty soon, won't we?
    I really wonder how many "real world" users left BlackBerry and have any warm nostalgic feelings...

I think in markets where BBM is currently very popular that it could easily gain in popularity, but that device sales could also falter if price becomes an issue. In markets like the US, BBM is going to need to be better than the other Instant Messaging apps in the market today. If it's not better (cheaper, more features, better integration) then it will fail.
    08-28-13 09:23 AM
    If your argument holds merit, then you're also arguing that cross-platform BBM will not have much of an impact on Android users. Fortunately for BlackBerry it's not true.

BBM will not be exclusive to Samsung, and not just to the Galaxy series though. The vast majority of Android users with a phone a year old will be able to run BBM.

The Nexus 4 now costs $200, unlocked. There will be many other phones from Samsung and others that will be available at that price point.
    I never said it would not! What I am saying is that when BBM is lunch across platforms it may or may not be available for Android users with Operating systems lower than 4.0! Also there is a reason why it will be only exclusive at lunch, on Samsung's Galaxy series phones! Think about it! Why not all series ? I maybe wrong! Enlighten me then.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 11:22 AM
    My concern is that it will allow cheap Android device to decimate marketshare in BlackBerry's strong developing markets (South Africa, Indonesia, Nigeria, etc.) by removing a huge barrier to not switch platforms. BlackBerry doesn't have a low price BB10 device for these markets, but Samsung will have low cost Android devices now with BBM on them. Cross platform BBM will be the demise of BBOS IMHO, which I wouldn't have an issue with if those people were being onboarded to BB10, but I just see these customers as leaving and never coming back. Might not happen, but low cost Android devices can do a lot more than low cost BBOS devices, and data plans in these markets, just like everywhere else in the world are becoming more affordable all the time.
    If we are to believe the news reports and anecdotal reports from people in this form, then the erosion in BBRY strongholds is well underway. I'm also not concerned about low cost android devices. BBRY should keep the Z10 and Q10 around as low cost phones once the next generation Z and Q come out to compete with these android devices.
    08-28-13 08:32 PM
    It's all about creating apps that use BBM directly. If they provide api's that allow a native app from any platform to access BBM then it will be a success. If not then it's just another day.
    08-28-13 08:59 PM
    I think BBM is an app magnet. I mean if it's as successful as twitter and Facebook with BBM channels it could attract some app developers and those app developers can have their own channels. I would like to see an instagram channel or Netflix channel.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 04:37 PM
47 12