It would be interesting to see how this number has changed over time. Does anyone know what this number was at the time of BlackBerry's last official report?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    IIRC, Chen reported 85M active BBM users at the last report.
    05-08-14 01:28 PM
    IIRC, Chen reported 85M active BBM users at the last report.
    Right, so I'm wondering what this install number was in Play at the same time?

That way we have some logical, reasonable way to map from one number to the other.

05-08-14 01:34 PM

That way we have some logical, reasonable way to map from one number to the other.

probably 25-50 million installs, i doubt it would give you any real hint. They have pretty big gaps i think
    05-08-14 01:50 PM

Google Play showed 10 million downloads at the time

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 02:14 PM
    I could be mistaken, and actually it's just speculation, but I think devices pre-loaded with BBM are included in the number. Simply because any pre-loaded app will show up as "Installed" when you view the app in the Play Store, even if you haven't installed any updates.

Just a guess, but I'm betting that as soon as any new Android device is activated, and the Play Store syncs, all the pre-loaded apps that are also available in the Play Store triggers the "Installed" tag, and subsequently shows up in the total installed analytics.

Sent from my T100TA using Tapatalk
    05-08-14 02:19 PM
    However, BBM for Android does consume substantially more battery compared to most apps simply due to it establishing and maintaining its own TCP connection which is "always on", instead of using the TCP connection provided by the core OS. But it is noticeable if I monitor and look for it.
    You won't see anything significant with BBM with the battery monitor, because it's an additional system process that maintains a new dedicated connection, so with the battery monitor it will appear as the OS system processes consuming more power than they usually do.
    This is contradicting.. So, if you look at BBM within the battery monitor, it should be consuming a 'red-flag' within usage because it uses its own "always on" TCP connection. But, it's not, as you said, because it's a system process being used for the TCP connection, therefore the system processes are high. If it's not utilizing the core OS processes, then it SHOULD be a battery 'red-flag', right?

I think you need to elaborate on this as it makes you sound conflicting on your accusation.
    05-08-14 02:23 PM
    Yeap ive been complaining about this for months! The iOS and android BBM dont have mute group notifications.

And chats always start at the bottom of the thread rather than were you left off which is stupid.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    Ahh gotcha. Ya that would be a deal breaker for me too.I mute all my groups, otherwise its a constant annoyance.
    05-08-14 03:55 PM
    This is contradicting.. So, if you look at BBM within the battery monitor, it should be consuming a 'red-flag' within usage because it uses its own "always on" TCP connection. But, it's not, as you said, because it's a system process being used for the TCP connection, therefore the system processes are high. If it's not utilizing the core OS processes, then it SHOULD be a battery 'red-flag', right?

I think you need to elaborate on this as it makes you sound conflicting on your accusation.
    It's not contradictory at all. Nor is there any type of accusation. If you pay attention to the reason why the BBM app isn't labeled in the battery monitor because it's an added system process, then you would understand. Don't kneejerk an assumption that I'm attacking or making an accusation that wouldninfer an attack. Since the inception of xBBM this has been an issue that has been discussed ad-nauseam. The BBM app simply needs some work. That's it, that's all.
    kevinnugent and JeepBB like this.
    05-08-14 04:31 PM
    Cool, now how many active users? Cause I've downloaded it on iOS and Android well over 10 times on each. lol
    Same here, about 6 times. Still don't use it.
    05-09-14 12:12 AM
    Same here, about 6 times. Still don't use it.
    Active users, less than 10 percent of download figures I would imagine.

kevinnugent likes this.
    05-09-14 12:42 AM
    Active users, less than 10 percent of download figures I would imagine.

correct. BBM on android is a pain to use, friends go 'invisible' temporarily, groups go blank for an hour. crashes thrice in an hour. it's pathetic. people install it, but rarely use it
    05-09-14 05:39 AM
    correct. BBM on android is a pain to use, friends go 'invisible' temporarily, groups go blank for an hour. crashes thrice in an hour. it's pathetic. people install it, but rarely use it
    The good news is looking at the latest beta, BlackBerry is addressing these issues.

05-09-14 07:14 AM
    Sorry you're facing these issues but I find it EXCELLENT with an exception of a few things.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 08:13 AM
    The good news is looking at the latest beta, BlackBerry is addressing these issues.

You mean there is a BBM for Android beta?

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 08:14 AM
    It's not contradictory at all. Nor is there any type of accusation. If you pay attention to the reason why the BBM app isn't labeled in the battery monitor because it's an added system process, then you would understand. Don't kneejerk an assumption that I'm attacking or making an accusation that wouldninfer an attack. Since the inception of xBBM this has been an issue that has been discussed ad-nauseam. The BBM app simply needs some work. That's it, that's all.
    Don't get your panties all discombobulated. You're making a claim about something without presenting evidence; hence the accusation. I didn't infer anything. It is what it is. And yes, your comments were contradicting. You first stated BBM drains the battery and that if you, as you said, "monitor and look for it" you will notice the usage. Then you stated that BBM doesn't throw a red flag when you look at the battery monitor. I merely asked for you to elaborate since I believed your comments were conflicting. I chose not to buy Android because it wasn't to my liking; so I am not knowledgable on all of its in-depth issues.

Btw, sorry to bring up a discussion about xBBM which apparently has been discussed "ad-nauseam" here, at crackberry, in a general Blackberry discussion forum, with a forum topic that starts with "BBM for Android". smh
    05-09-14 08:15 AM
    Sorry you're facing these issues but I find it EXCELLENT with an exception of a few things.

Posted via CB10
    it ran fine for a few days, then started acting weird after groups became more active. they went blank. good thing is i can still use a proper bbm properly on a popular proper blackbery curve
    05-09-14 09:20 AM
    You mean there is a BBM for Android beta?

Posted via CB10
    The changes announced like landscape mode, in group picture posting and other improvements are developed the same time on all platforms simultaneously. BBM is cross platform didnt you know?

05-09-14 10:31 AM
    The changes announced like landscape mode, in group picture posting and other improvements are developed the same time on all platforms simultaneously. BBM is cross platform didnt you know?

Not necessarily, Android had the hide keyboard feature in BBM before we did, so no small features like this aren't developed simultaneously.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 10:48 AM
    Not necessarily, Android had the hide keyboard feature in BBM before we did, so no small features like this aren't developed simultaneously.

Posted via CB10
    Hide keyboard feature is small. Full portrait mode is not. Neither is inline chat picture posting.

Every app that is multiplatform like spotify, instagram etc gets updated very closely to each other if not the same time.

For BBM because its cross platform interaction the rest NEEDS to be on parity. Example. How can you post pictures in chat on one and not have it appear in the other?

05-09-14 11:41 AM
94 ... 234