Long story short: I have over 50 Whattsapp contacts and only 3 BBM contacts.

And I finally figured out what's been bugging me about BBM on Android: it doesn't follow any android design paradigms.
    - why must i have a back BBM button when Android already has a back button
    - I just openened another random 10 Android apps and every one of them had the options button on the top side of the screen, while BBM has them in the bottom right
    - The design is all black and serios and doesn't flow at all with my Android.

I think they should have made an interface that suited each OS and not jut make it similar to BB10. For me, BBM on Android feels just as "out-of-place" as an Android app on BB10.
    05-08-14 04:00 AM
    I do. More often than not even. Group chats are for specific purposes only...
    05-08-14 04:36 AM
    BBM group chat parity with one on one chat.

BBM group mute for iOS and android.

Unread messages separator within bbm group chat thread.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    05-08-14 04:37 AM
    hm.. but maybe it is not the baddest thing too try new paradigms. back button in the bottom is because you can reach it much easier in one handed use.
    But I understand what you mean. its new and so not intuitiv to you. For me its the same with Android. I tried some Samsungs in the past and last week the HTC M8 and I�m feeling like I�m too stupid to get the "Android Design & Use Paradigm". I think we both would need some time to change the sides.
    05-08-14 04:42 AM
    hm.. but maybe it is not the baddest thing too try new paradigms. back button in the bottom is because you can reach it much easier in one handed use.
    But I understand what you mean. its new and so not intuitiv to you. For me its the same with Android. I tried some Samsungs in the past and last week the HTC M8 and I�m feeling like I�m too stupid to get the "Android Design & Use Paradigm". I think we both would need some time to change the sides.
    Well I use a Nexus 5 and when i chat with someone on BBM, I have a back button in the BBM interface. But just below it (like 0.5 centimeters below), I also have the back button (on screen also) from the android OS. It's so redundant.

This is exactly like people complain that some apps in BB world are ports of Android apps and don't integrate themselves well with the OS. This is my main complain with BBM on Android. There is a difference between feel and design (You can have a distinct feel to your app, but it should "respect" the OS). You built that app for Android and it should have buttons where most Android users expect it to be. I don't complain about chat functionality that that the UI feels so out of place.
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-08-14 05:21 AM
    10.3 makes me wonder if the BBM on Android and BBM on IOS will change to match the same design change in 10.3 or will they change the design to go with the platforms? I hope they don't do the latter, the people I know really loved the BB10 design and when if gets changed to 10.3 design it will get even better, especially for IOS users.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 05:56 AM
    I've tried to get my friends to use it. They uninstalled a few weeks later
    same here
    Long story short: I have over 50 Whattsapp contacts and only 3 BBM contacts.
    Same here.

I'm really hoping that BBM is not BBRY's last stand. 50 millions of download doesn't mean a thing. Active users are what counts really.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-08-14 07:21 AM
    BBM needs to be able to scan the phonebook (as an option).

People just dont appreciate security. Just let BBM tie to a phone number as id as a user option.

People just cant deal with the impractical nature of pins.

This alone would increase BBM adoption and active users.

BBM groups need a lot of work too.

05-08-14 07:42 AM
    BBM needs to be able to scan the phonebook (as an option).

People just dont appreciate security. Just let BBM tie to a phone number as id as a user option.

People just cant deal with the impractical nature of pins.

This alone would increase BBM adoption and active users.

BBM groups need a lot of work too.

i does recommend people. If you look in invites there is a "suggested" section and it does show people that have BBM installed and I think the setting to allow people to know you have BBM enabled. I cant remember off the top my head.
    05-08-14 08:18 AM
    i does recommend people. If you look in invites there is a "suggested" section and it does show people that have BBM installed and I think the setting to allow people to know you have BBM enabled. I cant remember off the top my head.
    Its email linking to find people who have installed BBM with the email in your contacts.

The problem is that its assuming that person still uses BBM, as most used a before but not necessarily anymore.

Every other IM app out there scans your phonebook and uses your phone number as an id. We chat goes a step further and also allows you to create your own ID, with the option of not scanning your phonebook, making your profile publically searchable by phone number or not.

05-08-14 08:39 AM
    I dont know what IOS devices you and your friends have but it sure sounds fishy and negative the way you put it. I have it installed on an iPad Air, iPad mini & 2 iPhone 5s's and not one of them has noticed any drop in battery life - also installed on my HTC One M8 and again no drop in battery life.
    I can't speak for the iOS devices (because my experience with them never included them as daily drivers to draw a real conclusion), but with the HTC One M8 the battery life is already so good that the increased battery usage probably just isn't very noticeable. However, BBM for Android does consume substantially more battery compared to most apps simply due to it establishing and maintaining its own TCP connection which is "always on", instead of using the TCP connection provided by the core OS. That alone takes a significant bite out of the battery. My GS4 has decent battery life, so the added consumption is negligible enough that I really just don't care. But it is noticeable if I monitor and look for it. Mileage varies depending on which device each user has based on their battery quality and how much they use their devices throughout a typical day (my older Galaxy Nexus suffered at least 2 hours less battery life which kinda hurt). Though it is worth noting that the last update to BBM for Android mitigated the power consumption a bit.
    Rooster99 likes this.
    05-08-14 08:47 AM
    I see what you mean. you are right, it doesn`t make sense to have the same option two times AND next to each other.
    05-08-14 08:50 AM
    Line can now have more than 50 users at a time & my team is moving away from WhatsApp to Line. Not even considering BBM.

BBM is brilliant but stupid. The features they have on the chats are far superior to the rest but none of them are available on group chat where most communication happens these days.

Just think of it, how many of you still do a one on one chat with each other?

Posted via CB10
    Many people do!
    I think you are grossly underestimating the number of PRIVATE conversations people have on BBM without being in a group.
    05-08-14 08:56 AM
    I can't speak for the iOS devices (because my experience with them never included them as daily drivers to draw a real conclusion), but with the HTC One M8 the battery life is already so good that the increased battery usage probably just isn't very noticeable. However, BBM for Android does consume substantially more battery compared to most apps simply due to it establishing and maintaining its own TCP connection which is "always on", instead of using the TCP connection provided by the core OS. That alone takes a significant bite out of the battery. My GS4 has decent battery life, so the added consumption is negligible enough that I really just don't care. But it is noticeable if I monitor and look for it. Mileage varies depending on which device each user has based on their battery quality and how much they use their devices throughout a typical day (my older Galaxy Nexus suffered at least 2 hours less battery life which kinda hurt). Though it is worth noting that the last update to BBM for Android mitigated the power consumption a bit.
    Did you see that it's using more battery than any other app in the battery monitor in settings? If you didn't check the battery monitor then I can't take what you said seriously because I checked it on all my family's Android phones and not one showed high battery usage.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 10:10 AM
    Many people do!
    I think you are grossly underestimating the number of PRIVATE conversations people have on BBM without being in a group.
    Get what you mean jaydee but groups is the best way to get new users. Especially when there are fun/useful features because it then becomes a more social application.

05-08-14 10:28 AM
    Did you see that it's using more battery than any other app in the battery monitor in settings? If you didn't check the battery monitor then I can't take what you said seriously because I checked it on all my family's Android phones and not one showed high battery usage.
    You won't see anything significant with BBM with the battery monitor, because it's an additional system process that maintains a new dedicated connection, so with the battery monitor it will appear as the OS system processes consuming more power than they usually do. You don't have to believe it if you don't wish, but before you choose not to, consider that even BBRY addressed battery consumption concerns, and subsequently are attempting to mitigate the issue with each subsequent update to the app.
    app_Developer and Rooster99 like this.
    05-08-14 10:46 AM
    I didn't realize I made a "unsubstantiated conclusion" anywhere in that post lol. Glad your friends have kept it....simply just stated that a few of mine hadn't and that I specifically was waiting until I believed it was more refined before I asked others to join. personally don't like that they'd have no way to disable group notifications. Once that comes I'll see if more will download the app

Posted via CB10
    You can customize the group notifications, including disabling them altogether. The settings are not overly visible tho. Go to Notifications, scroll to the bottom, click on Applications, click on BBM Groups, and customize from there..
    05-08-14 10:52 AM
    You won't see anything significant with BBM with the battery monitor, because it's an additional system process that maintains a new dedicated connection, so with the battery monitor it will appear as the OS system processes consuming more power than they usually do. You don't have to believe it if you don't wish, but before you choose not to, consider that even BBRY addressed battery consumption concerns, and subsequently are attempting to mitigate the issue with each subsequent update to the app.
    BlackBerry addressed battery consumption! You said it yourself!

Nothing proves or shows that battery consumption is increased due to BBM! ( after BlackBerry fixing the issue).

Just because it caused battery issues in the beginning and has been addressed doesn't mean it will forever and nothing shows that BlackBerry is working on fixing battery issues on BBM.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 11:04 AM
    You can customize the group notifications, including disabling them altogether. The settings are not overly visible tho. Go to Notifications, scroll to the bottom, click on Applications, click on BBM Groups, and customize from there..
    He was referring to the iOS/Android version of BBM. Which doesn't have those options.
    Rello likes this.
    05-08-14 11:04 AM
    I never do group chats ... only one on one BBM.

So there's 1.

Posted via CB10
    +1 for me too. Mostly one on one and a few very few group chats.

Having said that I really want BlackBerry to come up with best in class group chat as well.

Posted via CB10
    Loc22 likes this.
    05-08-14 11:09 AM
    BlackBerry addressed battery consumption! You said it yourself!

Nothing proves or shows that battery consumption is increased due to BBM! ( after BlackBerry fixing the issue).

Just because it caused battery issues in the beginning and has been addressed doesn't mean it will forever and nothing shows that BlackBerry is working on fixing battery issues on BBM.
    I never said that it always will have battery consumption issues. I even acknowledged a few replies back that the latest update improved it somewhat. But it's not completely corrected yet. And depending on which device an Android user has, particularly those with lower end devices, some will still see excessive battery consumption. And yes, something does attribute the consumption to BBM... quite simply, it's the always on dedicated data connection which requires additional resources. And that will continue to be the case until the BBM app ever adopts the GCM service already provided by Google/Android instead of duplicating a process to do the same job.
    Rooster99 likes this.
    05-08-14 11:15 AM
    He was referring to the iOS/Android version of BBM. Which doesn't have those options.
    Yeap ive been complaining about this for months! The iOS and android BBM dont have mute group notifications.

And chats always start at the bottom of the thread rather than were you left off which is stupid.

Rello likes this.
    05-08-14 11:16 AM
    +1 for me too. Mostly one on one and a few very few group chats.

Having said that I really want BlackBerry to come up with best in class group chat as well.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry knows that most people use private chats and not group chats or else BlackBerry would have prioritized to improve group chats.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 11:18 AM
    There's a technology called WiFi....I'm sure you're able to use that for data, no?
    True. But then I only get BBM messages when I'm on WiFi, which limits the effectiveness of an "IM" app.

- R.
    05-08-14 11:43 AM
    Yeap ive been complaining about this for months! The iOS and android BBM dont have mute group notifications.

And chats always start at the bottom of the thread rather than were you left off which is stupid.

I agree very much. Group chats need a lot of attention imo. I couldn't imagine using bbm, being in a group and have no way of turning off the group notifications. I can't stand them on my BlackBerry so I can't personally ask people go download it until that is fixed.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 12:26 PM
94 1234