Make it 3

Posted via CB10
    Make it 4- and I love it!
    05-07-14 01:27 PM
    You can share your location and send files in a group chat/ multi person chat. You just can't do it within the group. Within the group calendar you can share your location there as an alternative

Posted via CB10
    correct, but I think single chat, multi chat and group chat must have all the same features and capabilities, even knowing who has read the message and who hasn't, if BBM can deploy these features in all BBM chats it will be the best IM app there is without doubt, I think the only weak point is group chats in BBM
    eldricho and Soul_Est like this.
    05-07-14 01:31 PM
    Line can now have more than 50 users at a time & my team is moving away from WhatsApp to Line. Not even considering BBM.

BBM is brilliant but stupid. The features they have on the chats are far superior to the rest but none of them are available on group chat where most communication happens these days.

Just think of it, how many of you still do a one on one chat with each other?

Posted via CB10
    50% of the time at least.
    05-07-14 02:05 PM
    Line can now have more than 50 users at a time & my team is moving away from WhatsApp to Line. Not even considering BBM.

BBM is brilliant but stupid. The features they have on the chats are far superior to the rest but none of them are available on group chat where most communication happens these days.

Just think of it, how many of you still do a one on one chat with each other?

Posted via CB10
    I'm afraid there's still many of us that still do one and one chats.
    MmmHmm likes this.
    05-07-14 03:09 PM
    I'm glad it's growing but it's still missing a select few features before I feel comfortable asking others to download it. My main group of friends have kept it and really seem to enjoy using it but I've had more than a few also delete it or simply forget to re-download it after switching phones. The 5 million increase in active users that saw last quarter is nowhere what they need in adoption to take on bigger messaging apps.

Just the other day I saw a commercial for line. Still waiting for one for BBM....

Posted via CB10
    Ain't that funny. I am very comfortable asking my friends to download BBM and guess what? They are downloading it and keeping it too. The world is much bigger than our little circles of friends. So let's not jump to any unsubstantiated conclusions.
    05-07-14 03:15 PM
    Cool, now how many active users? Cause I've downloaded it on iOS and Android well over 10 times on each. lol
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-07-14 03:43 PM
    Way to be a buzz kill dude. Millions and millions of downloads is amazing for any messaging platform. Props to BlackBerry on BBM. I never noticed the battery drain on any of my other devices nor my friends and we all love BBM.

Posted by Antoniius via my sexy Gold and White Q10.
    Personal choice. You prefer buzz, I prefer reality. Ignoring reality is what got Blackberry into this mess.

- R.
    JeepBB and Soul_Est like this.
    05-07-14 03:47 PM
    Newest stats.
    BlackBerry pins hopes for growth on instant messaging app BBM | The National

"Canada�s BlackBerry is now pinning much of its growth on BBM. There are currently 113 million registered users, of which 85 million are active on a monthly basis. When BBM was launched on Android and Apple�s iOS, it recorded 10 million downloads on its first day.

Read more: BlackBerry pins hopes for growth on instant messaging app BBM | The National
    Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook"
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-07-14 03:53 PM
    Cool, now how many active users? Cause I've downloaded it on iOS and Android well over 10 times on each. lol
    That's just because you stay up late and can't remember your pin!
    I would suggest though, that is abnormal for everyday users, and 50 million downloads is not a bad sign.
    What with all this negativity?
    05-07-14 03:58 PM
    I had eight friends download BBM back in November, within a couple of weeks they had all uninstalled it.

I install BBM again on my wife's and two daughters new iPads around March.... it took about 2 hours off their battery life and they made me uninstall it within a couple of days.

The key is active users..... In my area of the US, I doubt BlackBerry is seeing much growth in BBM. In developing areas.... there should be some major growth. But then the question becomes, how much of that growth is at the expense of BlackBerry devices.... and does the selling of stickers offset the lose of those subscriber fees BlackBerry was getting on those BBOS devices every month..

In one of the threads about the Z3 one of the poster from Indonesia had switched from BlackBerry to another device since BBMx had come out. But he was planning on returning with the Z3 as the price was lower and because the BBM experience on his Android device was so bad. Just not sure how this plays out for BlackBerry - with their market penetration there, I think it is good either way...
    I dont know what IOS devices you and your friends have but it sure sounds fishy and negative the way you put it. I have it installed on an iPad Air, iPad mini & 2 iPhone 5s's and not one of them has noticed any drop in battery life - also installed on my HTC One M8 and again no drop in battery life.
    notafanboy likes this.
    05-07-14 04:10 PM
    Negative gets the attention here that's why. BBM sucks, BBM does not do this or that. It's the same old story from the usual few trolls here. Let them play in the sand box.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    notafanboy likes this.
    05-07-14 04:18 PM
    I've been trying to get people to sign up and so far both my attempts have resulted in people uninstalling.

The first time it was because of the battery it chewed up. Both Android and Apple users (myself included as I'm now using a Nexus 4) reported major hits on battery life and didn't see enough benefits over regular SMS for what they used it for.

The second time was after Blackberry released the update that fixed the battery life issue. We just went to Honduras and my wife, my business partner and one other of our group installed it as I told them it would be faster, cheaper and more reliable than SMS. Then when we got to Honduras I discovered you needed to have roaming data enabled for BBM to work. Given the $ roaming data costs as all the other apps start using it, SMS was cheaper and more convenient as everyone had that working so we didn't use BBM at all. Now my wife is reporting significant battery issues again on her iPhone.

Two strikes. It's going to be tough to justify a third swing.

- R.
    So if your wife downloads any other app that might use the battery she will just blame BBM? How can she know for sure that it's BBM? I have a lot of friends who use it on iPhone and Android and no one complained about battery.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 04:33 PM
    I've tried to get my friends to use it. They uninstalled a few weeks later

Whatsapp and groupme have them hooked. They tell me they don't have a reason to use BBM.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 04:48 PM
    Ain't that funny. I am very comfortable asking my friends to download BBM and guess what? They are downloading it and keeping it too. The world is much bigger than our little circles of friends. So let's not jump to any unsubstantiated conclusions.
    I didn't realize I made a "unsubstantiated conclusion" anywhere in that post lol. Glad your friends have kept it....simply just stated that a few of mine hadn't and that I specifically was waiting until I believed it was more refined before I asked others to join. personally don't like that they'd have no way to disable group notifications. Once that comes I'll see if more will download the app

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 05-07-14 at 09:23 PM.
    05-07-14 05:13 PM
    So if your wife downloads any other app that might use the battery she will just blame BBM? How can she know for sure that it's BBM? I have a lot of friends who use it on iPhone and Android and no one complained about battery.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. No battery issues and no lag with BBM on my droid as some users claim
    notafanboy likes this.
    05-07-14 06:29 PM
    It would be interesting to see how this number has changed over time. Does anyone know what this number was at the time of BlackBerry's last official report?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    05-07-14 06:43 PM
    The biggest issue with BBM was that people like the Whatsapp way of giving your phone number, then your entire address book to Whatsapp and automatically being connected to people...whether they want to be connected to all of them or not.

Anyone I have got into BBM has trouble with understanding the idea of a PIN and invites to connect, but if they get through this they almost universally prefer BBM to the alternatives. That said I understand why people install the app, get frustrated with contact setup and don't use it.

The issue is getting people connected with their friends more easily.

As for all this talk of group chats being better on other platforms, the functionality of a BBM group with multiple chats, shared calendar, task lists and pictures sharing with comments crushes all other apps...hands down.

Specifically people who prefer Whatsapp group chats blow my kind.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 07:09 PM
    now imagine xBBM was good as BBM is on BlackBerry?!?
    05-07-14 07:11 PM
    correct, but I think single chat, multi chat and group chat must have all the same features and capabilities, even knowing who has read the message and who hasn't, if BBM can deploy these features in all BBM chats it will be the best IM app there is without doubt, I think the only weak point is group chats in BBM
    Agreed 100%

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 07:29 PM
    Good news and the haters come out to complain. Why these people waste away in negativity? Btw had no issues with BBM on my SG4. I know haters not what you wanted to hear.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 07:38 PM
    Interesting.

But does 50M downloads equal 50M users? Every update, does that count as an extra download?

Conversely, we don't know right now how many Android handsets are released with BBM preloaded. These are BBM users that aren't accounted for in the downloads number.
    I don't think that each update counts as an extra download. If it did, then some of the really popular app download numbers would be out of hand in the billions. If you have 100 million users then that's just 10 updates and you will hit 1 billion downloads. On the smaller scale it makes sense, but on the larger scale we have seen the larger numbers in the 100M downloads, haven't seen any insane numbers though which makes it pretty safe to assume that a download is a download and an update doesn't count as a download.

EDIT:

P.S. it's labeled "Installs" not "Downloads" so it's probably just one per device.

This can also be verified when looking at whatsapp. They just hit about 500m users and their google play page mirrors that: (500,000,000 - 1,000,000,000) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.whatsapp

If it wasn't then they would be at like 6,000,000,000 "installs". It's definitely one per phone.
    05-07-14 08:42 PM
    Nice well its been the top android app in Nigeria and Indonesia, countries with huge populations. As well as some bigger countries in Latin America they just need to crack the USA as per usual.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 08:48 PM
    So if Whatsapp is worth $20b then BBM will all it's coolness must be worth at least 15B. Why is Blackberry valued so low. I smell a RAT
    WHO is in your user base make a difference also.... the higher the disposable income of the users the more valuable the platform.

And time is needed to see if growth will continue or not.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    05-07-14 09:44 PM
    [QUOTE=Infiniti14;10328154].
    Anyone I have got into BBM has trouble with understanding the idea of a PIN and invites to connect, but if they get through this they almost universally prefer BBM to the alternatives. That said I understand why people install the app, get frustrated with contact setup and don't use it.
    /QUOTE]

I totally agree with this. I think I must be stupid because I still don't understand invites and a PIN. I just try a bunch of different things and hope something works to add a new contact or invite someone to BBM.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-14 10:38 PM
    I've been trying to get people to sign up and so far both my attempts have resulted in people uninstalling.

The first time it was because of the battery it chewed up. Both Android and Apple users (myself included as I'm now using a Nexus 4) reported major hits on battery life and didn't see enough benefits over regular SMS for what they used it for.

The second time was after Blackberry released the update that fixed the battery life issue. We just went to Honduras and my wife, my business partner and one other of our group installed it as I told them it would be faster, cheaper and more reliable than SMS. Then when we got to Honduras I discovered you needed to have roaming data enabled for BBM to work. Given the $ roaming data costs as all the other apps start using it, SMS was cheaper and more convenient as everyone had that working so we didn't use BBM at all. Now my wife is reporting significant battery issues again on her iPhone.

Two strikes. It's going to be tough to justify a third swing.

- R.
    There's a technology called WiFi....I'm sure you're able to use that for data, no?
    05-08-14 01:05 AM
94 1234