Anyone else concerned about the BBID direction vs PIN direction RIM is taking with BBM.

One of the unique things about BBM is the ability to pick up your new BB and start bbming out of the box, no set up required, no personal information needing set up. Nothing really to be used as an excuse once you have a Blackberry to not use bbm.

The transition to BBID unless it is linked with your carrier.blackberry.net address you set up woth the phone just makes BBM another chat client like LiveProfile, why would a new user set up BBID if they already have LiveProfile? How do you convert them to BBM?

What I like about BBID for me is the constant changing of BB's means I keep a consistent BBM list that is easy to maintain across devices and am not finding add requests when I switch back to a phone.

So what would make me happy?
    A default BBID applied to a device PIN number so you don't HAVE to create a BBID, but you have the choice in registering your PIN to an existing BBID or using the default BBID, allowing you if desired to add extra information to your BBID for back up purposes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-11 02:56 PM
    I think it has to do with the rumors of BBM being ported to other platforms.

04-10-11 03:05 PM
    I think it has to do with the rumors of BBM being ported to other platforms.

I know WHY they are doing it
    I just don't agree with the move, or at least what appears to be the way in which they are going with the move.

RIM is trapped in the BB user mind set I fear, and isn't looking at what made BBM so easy to pick up and use for a new user, and why people chose BBM when they have so many other choices

04-10-11 03:20 PM
    I don't think it's a bad idea. I mean Google uses their default account for all their services on Android phones and it works. If you wipe your phone you can install your apps just by signing in.
    04-10-11 06:45 PM
    I don't think it's a bad idea. I mean Google uses their default account for all their services on Android phones and it works. If you wipe your phone you can install your apps just by signing in.
    This plus one. It make things nice for moving between phones. Bbm will migrate, apps will migrate... youll like it in the end I think.

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    04-10-11 10:06 PM
    How would users migrate their BBID if they change carriers, since the BBID is tied to the email address for a particular carrier?
    04-10-11 10:16 PM
    How would users migrate their BBID if they change carriers, since the BBID is tied to the email address for a particular carrier?
    Mine isn't. I don't even have a carrier-associated email address...
    04-10-11 11:22 PM
    With changing from PIN to BBID how secure will the messages be now? Will there still be PIN to PIN messaging for bb users?
    04-11-11 01:45 AM
    Seems trivial.. if you have a BB 99% of the time you're also gonna have an email address...or start out with the intent to create one. If anything, it'll cut down on the amount of people spamming their PIN's all over the place.. People will take more safeguards if it's related to an email account or some sort of PII.

I can't even begin to tell you how many people in the run of a day ask for their PIN to be removed because they decided to share it with someone they hardly knew and they turned out be shall we say, not so friendly and it's not even just on CrackBerry -- it comes from everywhere, people who shared it on Twitter, App World wherever.. once it's out there they have no idea how to get it removed.

And who knows, it might help make those not so friendly folks think twice about their actions as well.
    04-11-11 02:47 AM
    Seems trivial.. if you have a BB 99% of the time you're also gonna have an email address...or start out with the intent to create one. If anything, it'll cut down on the amount of people spamming their PIN's all over the place.. People will take more safeguards if it's related to an email account or some sort of PII.

I can't even begin to tell you how many people in the run of a day ask for their PIN to be removed because they decided to share it with someone they hardly knew and they turned out be shall we say, not so friendly and it's not even just on CrackBerry -- it comes from everywhere, people who shared it on Twitter, App World wherever.. once it's out there they have no idea how to get it removed.

And who knows, it might help make those not so friendly folks think twice about their actions as well.
    So to one of my points,

WHY use BBM? if you are a NEW Blackberry user, WHY use BBM? you came from Android and had a LiveProfile account, why create a new account for BBM? just skip over BBM and keep using live profile.

That is the point I am trying to make, for ME I see myself having no issues with moving to BBID, I'll certainly change the way I display my PIN knowing that I wont have a new one if 6-8 months anymore. BUT what has helped make BBM so fantastic is the fact it is just there you can use it, no set up required, no account information, no way for reverse look up, if I want to post my PIN on a name badge while at a convention it doesn't matter.

When the NEW user picks up a BB. they use BBM because there is no set up, but now RIM is changing that, and THAT is my issue with this change, they are removing something that made their platform unique and simple, and making it more difficult to get on board, I think it is a nail in the BBM coffin as other chat clients continue to grow and are not held back by having to be built with a specific OS.
    04-11-11 05:28 AM
    So to one of my points,

WHY use BBM? if you are a NEW Blackberry user, WHY use BBM? you came from Android and had a LiveProfile account, why create a new account for BBM? just skip over BBM and keep using live profile.

That is the point I am trying to make, for ME I see myself having no issues with moving to BBID, I'll certainly change the way I display my PIN knowing that I wont have a new one if 6-8 months anymore. BUT what has helped make BBM so fantastic is the fact it is just there you can use it, no set up required, no account information, no way for reverse look up, if I want to post my PIN on a name badge while at a convention it doesn't matter.

When the NEW user picks up a BB. they use BBM because there is no set up, but now RIM is changing that, and THAT is my issue with this change, they are removing something that made their platform unique and simple, and making it more difficult to get on board, I think it is a nail in the BBM coffin as other chat clients continue to grow and are not held back by having to be built with a specific OS.
    Agree. When it comes down to the wire, BBM has a smaller userbase than gtalk or facebook.
    If a new user has to go through the same steps when he/she first acquires a BB, then in most cases they would simply go to the pre-loaded gtalk or download facebook chat and sign in.
    04-11-11 07:03 AM
    i think the reasoning behind the bb id is to streamline everything. If you have or are getting a blackberry you are going to have to make a bbid. The bbid is gonna be used for everything (bbm, app world, all of rims native apps) so a person if they want to use a blackberry to its potential is going to have to create a bbid. Its one extra step at the initial startup phase but that id is gonna be used for a lot of stuff, thus reducing the hassle.
    04-11-11 07:35 AM
    There are 10,000's of bb users who will never use app world, but use bbm because of it's ease,

There IS logic behind BBID, BUT! Is RIM killing the simplicity of BBM?

Ask yourself when you first got your BB, why did you use bbm?

04-11-11 11:27 AM
    i actually didnt use BBM at first since not many friends had BBs...i used AIM/Gtalk and tried to find an app that supported those apps best. Most people getting BBs dont have a clue about BBM or why it is so nice. Once i used it i did see how nice it was. I dont miss it now though either as Gtalk is my primary tool and it works quite well.
    04-11-11 11:33 AM
    i actually didnt use BBM at first since not many friends had BBs...i used AIM/Gtalk and tried to find an app that supported those apps best. Most people getting BBs dont have a clue about BBM or why it is so nice. Once i used it i did see how nice it was. I dont miss it now though either as Gtalk is my primary tool and it works quite well.
    So if you had to register to use BBM would have been 1 less reason to try it,
    That is the point I am trying to make, the Market is far more competative now in quality IM clients, and RIM is making BBM less attractive to the users who never have used it before

04-11-11 11:48 AM
    So if you had to register to use BBM would have been 1 less reason to try it,
    That is the point I am trying to make, the Market is far more competative now in quality IM clients, and RIM is making BBM less attractive to the users who never have used it before

yep you are right, 1 more step that many wont want to do
    04-11-11 11:55 AM
    I think it will solve more problems than it creates. I don't know anyone that wanted BBM to be anonymous, quite the opposite in fact. Being anonymous tends to cause as many problems as it solves, maybe more. Why not just create a disposable or giveaway BBID? And you can't really use it "out of the box" until you get connected with people and it would actually be easier with a static ID instead of one based on a number in your phone. Why do we use phone numbers and not the phone's serial number as the connector?

You may have a LiveProfile already, but you'll have to install the app so its really a wash in the end.
    04-11-11 12:12 PM
    it is for their port to other platforms. plain and simple.

those who get value from bbm will fight through it, those that no longer do won't bother. those that don't know won't care as they have no history.

bbm is less important for me than it was 12 months ago. my inner circle is diversifying to BB's, iPhones and android from almost exclusively BB last year. so know my family uses Live Profile for now anyways until facebook chat (via Beluga) gets their act together.

facebook chat will be the universal chat app i suspect.
    04-11-11 12:24 PM
    Not withstanding BBMs potential move to other platforms (which I'm not sure I agree with), I think BBID is a good idea. If it allows standardization among RIM apps I think it will be good. Most importantly if it plays into use of BB Protect I think it's a great idea. Over and over I come across people who for some reason lose their contacts (due to lose of phone or software error) and I constantly have to remind them to backup or use BB Protect. If it becomes automatic with the setup of BBID (same for App World), I think it's a good thing for the end user.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    04-11-11 05:23 PM
    I would not sign up for yet another iM client if I already have a different one. Unless you are already a BB user, I can see this hurting BBM a little. Especially if people are coming from other platforms and already made people switch to these other clients as well.
    04-11-11 05:48 PM
    As long as BBM is a core function associated with BlackBerry devices only, it provides a measure of stickiness for the brand. I would be careful about tampering with it. There must be many BBM tribes in the under 20 demographic that gravitated to BB for BBM alone. I wish I had it when I was a teen!
    04-11-11 06:55 PM
    There's no diff between bbid and making a new I'd for other I'm programs like live profile what'sapp etc. Its all the same they all make u "sign up"

04-12-11 02:54 AM
    There's no diff between bbid and making a new I'd for other I'm programs like live profile what'sapp etc. Its all the same they all make u "sign up"

but you already have those accounts setup and you have been using them and have your friends already on those accouts....why use BBM?
    04-12-11 04:37 AM
    why use BBM?
    Because it's better then most IM clients, and very likely you will have some friends or family who use it who will want you to use it as well. It's the BB Universe at work.
    04-12-11 02:42 PM
    Because it's better then most IM clients, and very likely you will have some friends or family who use it who will want you to use it as well. It's the BB Universe at work.
    nope i doubt it will. when it goes to other platforms its going to be stripped down so it will be as good as gtalk, yahoo or aim. Not one of my friends or family use BBM exclusively, **** only have 2-3 that have BBs anymore. Everyone is now on Android or iOS and i suspect this is a popular trend right now
    04-12-11 02:47 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD