New to the 9300 (aren't we all ) and the world of handheld GPS.

I have never had data on my BB.
    Originally bought the 8220 Pearl as just a cell phone (honestly didn't realize it was really a BB in disguise until I got it home and started learning about it).

My question is, how does the GPS on the 9300 function?
    Can I utilize it without having a data plan?
    10-07-10 03:21 PM
    Short answer is no.

most cell phones can use cell tower triangulation to give a rough idea of your location, but from what it sounds like you are looking for a hand-held GPS unit. To use BB Maps or Google Maps you will need a data plan from your carrier. (although most carriers will not activate a BB unless there is a data plan attached to it)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-10 09:50 PM
    (although most carriers will not activate a BB unless there is a data plan attached to it)
    I originally had the 8220 Pearl flip and I had no issue opting out of data with Rogers on that phone.

Now that I have the 9300 Curve (and a 9800 Torch for work), I'm finding myself wanting to do more with it than before.
    Of course, this phone has more capability than my previous one, and I'm finding the transition to be very easy.

Having said all of that, I am giving a lot of thought to getting a data plan added simply so I can use more of the phone.
    Yes, I have a GPS in my car (in-dash unit) and it works very well, but I'm a techy guy by heart and the chance to compare the 2 is eating at me. Plus, I do travel a lot (mostly in my own car, but that is starting to change).
    10-14-10 07:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD