Has a foolproof recipe been developed to set up bb bold and have wifi work reliably without data plan? Does having wap2 in Service book cause BB to look for bb server rather than hotspot. Connects to hotspot (open) and shows good signal stregth but tries to connect to bb server. Had dataplanless wifi working on two bolds for almost a year but now I can't find right combo of setting to get it to work ???

Tnx,

Ed
    01-21-11 11:46 AM
    What country?
    What carrier?
    01-21-11 05:40 PM
    What country?
    What carrier?
    U.S.A., A.T.T I have 2 bolds, both unlocked, one pay as you go and one regular plan with no data. Regular plan phone lost independent wifi first. Now neither has it. Think I need to install newer os first since there are some issues with both phones. E.g. can't get any options on browser type (stuck on Hotspot with no other options, battery pull whether turned on or off produces "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullpointerException) Both phones connect to wifi with good signal strength but look like they are trying to use ldap or something. Screens shows "Blackberry" instead of going to my Google home page. I have DM 4.6 and want to install:
    9000M_PBr5.0.0_rel1626_PL5.2.0.89_A5.0.0.900_Roger s_Wireless_Inc.exe
    but have never installed a bb os before. Vendor.xml just says:
    <vendorsrc version="0.0.0.0"></vendorsrc>
    Both bolds still work as phones and various pda apps but nothing on wifi after following instructions on web many times.

Thanks,

Ed
    01-22-11 12:05 PM
    I have been using my 9000 for over 2 years with no data plan with no problems. Just call the carrier and have data blocked on your account so you never get a data charge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-11 10:29 AM
    As of September 2009, AT&T requires a data plan for ANY BlackBerry activated on their network AFTER that data. "Getting the data blocked" won't work anymore.
    01-23-11 11:07 AM
    bbrider2,

If you have Device Manager 4.6, I am not sure if it can install 5.0 OS' or later. I use the most updated version of it and it works fine for me.

(DISCLAIMER: Please do not try any of this if you don't understand how to do it. This will wipe your Blackberry smartphone. Once you wipe your Blackberry smartphone, all data will be gone from your phone.)

I myself don't have a data plan either. When I update mine, I:

1) Backup the device using Device Manager. Close Device Manager and safely disconnect the Blackberry smartphone from the computer
    2) Uninstall any device software on your computer
    3) Download and install the device software I want to update it to
    4) Make sure the vendor.xml file is deleted
    [Located in: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader]

5) Then wipe the device using jl_cmdr
    [If you don't know how to use it goto (Thanks CX):
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/]

6) After the phone reboots giving you the 507 or pic that says it is empty, I then connect the Blackberry smartphone, and after it recognizes it, run loader.exe

This way, the computer/phone is forced to put an OS on the phone and the only thing it can give it is the one OS you want to put on it.

After it finishes installing, restore your backup, via Device Manager, and you should be fine. I hope this helps...
    Last edited by raskal1130; 01-23-11 at 01:41 PM.
    01-23-11 01:39 PM
    bbrider2,

If you have Device Manager 4.6, I am not sure if it can install 5.0 OS' or later. I use the most updated version of it and it works fine for me.

(DISCLAIMER: Please do not try any of this if you don't understand how to do it. This will wipe your Blackberry smartphone. Once you wipe your Blackberry smartphone, all data will be gone from your phone.)

I myself don't have a data plan either. When I update mine, I:

1) Backup the device using Device Manager. Close Device Manager and safely disconnect the Blackberry smartphone from the computer
    2) Uninstall any device software on your computer
    3) Download and install the device software I want to update it to
    4) Make sure the vendor.xml file is deleted

5) Then wipe the device using jl_cmdr
    [If you don't know how to use it goto (Thanks CX):

*** had to delete this link in order to submit ****

6) After the phone reboots giving you the 507 or pic that says it is empty, I then connect the Blackberry smartphone, and after it recognizes it, run loader.exe

This way, the computer/phone is forced to put an OS on the phone and the only thing it can give it is the one OS you want to put on it.

After it finishes installing, restore your backup, via Device Manager, and you should be fine. I hope this helps...
    --------------

Thanks, all. Mama, pug and raskal seem to have had the same experience with planless wifi as I have. Maybe other providers require plan but att doesn't seem to. So is this an urban legend or just corporate wishful thinking?

Raskal: Can I backup with 4.6 and later restore with DM 5 or 6? Do I have to Remove S/w via control panel first or will new DM overwrite safely? At which point must vendor.xml be deleted? I have one now with 0.0.0.0 but bold came with os loaded and I never put anything on pc other than DM 4.6 Now I have 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel517_PL4.0.0.247_A4.6.0.297_AT_am p_T.exe and
    9000M_PBr5.0.0_rel1626_PL5.2.0.89_A5.0.0.900_Roger s_Wireless_Inc.exe in bb folder on desktop and hope to use the newer os if possible.
    Can I use 601_b021_multilanguage.exe Download Size: 108.036 MB instead of DM vers. 5, which I can't find on web:? I have JL_Cmder v1[1].9.1.zip but am very nervous about using it.

Thanks again,

Ed
    01-23-11 09:44 PM
    bbrider, you will not have to manyually wipe your phone, as the installation process of an OS using the AppLoader method wipes the phone clean automatically during the process. Just follow these few steps and you will be fine.

1. Download the OS and install it on your PC. (Make sure you have already removed any older OSes you have installed on your PC by going to Add / Remove Programs in Control Panel)

2. Delete the vendor.xml file (located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader)

3. Backup your 3rd party applications ( optional recommended step )

4. Connect your Bold 9000 to your PC and right click on a file named Loader (located in the same place where you found the vendor.xml > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe) and select '' Run As Administrator ''

5. Follow the prompts. The Loader will backup and restore your data by default
    01-23-11 10:59 PM
    I'm running bb9000 ON ATT pay as you go with no problem. Change your Browser to your Google account at the home setting, when you see the Blackberry screen push the BB key to the left of the track ball. Then got to Options, and scroll down to Start Page and choose Start Page on the drop down. Then enter your Google address and save. Exit the browser and open it again and you will go to your Google account. This is on WiFi and is how I have my BB setup. If you want the service books google them, save to your computer and re-load them thru the desktop program. Been doing this for 2 years on the 60.00 unlimited talk/messaging plan.
    01-24-11 12:47 PM
    I'm running bb9000 ON ATT pay as you go with no problem. Change your Browser to your Google account at the home setting, when you see the Blackberry screen push the BB key to the left of the track ball. Then got to Options, and scroll down to Start Page and choose Start Page on the drop down. Then enter your Google address and save. Exit the browser and open it again and you will go to your Google account. This is on WiFi and is how I have my BB setup. If you want the service books google them, save to your computer and re-load them thru the desktop program. Been doing this for 2 years on the 60.00 unlimited talk/messaging plan.
    Thanks, ddunn. On my os vers. 4.6 to get to that place needs Browser > Options > Browser Options > Browser Configuration > Home Page Address:. From BBkey (Menu) > Options (wrench icon) I can't get anywhere to set Home Page. I would like my gmail account url in the list but not home page. Are you able to post url where I can get service books for bold os 4.6 without having a data plan? Googling to ATT doesn't help much.
    01-24-11 02:20 PM
    bbrider, you will not have to manyually wipe your phone, as the installation process of an OS using the AppLoader method wipes the phone clean automatically during the process. Just follow these few steps and you will be fine.

1. Download the OS and install it on your PC. (Make sure you have already removed any older OSes you have installed on your PC by going to Add / Remove Programs in Control Panel)

2. Delete the vendor.xml file (located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader)

3. Backup your 3rd party applications ( optional recommended step )

4. Connect your Bold 9000 to your PC and right click on a file named Loader (located in the same place where you found the vendor.xml > C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe) and select '' Run As Administrator ''

5. Follow the prompts. The Loader will backup and restore your data by default
    Thanks, Mike. I was worried that files in my media cards would go too. Will new install of os get rid of "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullpointerException)" error for sure or could that be hiding somewhere in data that I back up and later restore? That error seems to terminate the cold boot process initiated by battery pull. All the apps, service books, etc. Don't come back after battery pull like they used to.

Ed
    01-24-11 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD