I have a BB 7290 paired to a Garmin Nuvi 360 GPS device. When making calls via Bluetooth through the Nuvi 360, the audio quality on both ends (sending and receiving) is terrible. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it better? Is it just due to the vintage of my BB and its software? I have had the BB 7290 for about two years and the Nuvi is brand new.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    07-03-08 04:33 PM
    I believe that gps unit is bluetooth 2.1, and i am sure that the 7920 cannot be anymore than bluetooth 1.1 or 1.2 so i cant imagine they would be compatible
    07-03-08 04:59 PM
    The Garmin site lists the BB 7290 as a compatible phone but it does not go into detail on the version of Bluetooth on that phone. So far Garmin tech support has only sent me instructions on pairing the phone to the Nuvi which doesn't help me at all since I have already paired them and used them together.

I can't find the version of Bluetooth software that is on my 7290. I will have to do some more research on it.

Thanks.
    07-03-08 05:18 PM
    I have paired the 660 and 360 with a 8830. I haven't had had much said except sometimes there is a little echo, may have been before the external mic. Have you updated to the latest software on the 360? I can probaly dig up the BT version later.

In between nuvis right now but I have read that you want to keep some distance between the two.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 07:03 PM
    Everything on the Nuvi 360 has been updated.

When I used the 7290 and the Nuvi together, the 7290 was in my holster on my left side and the Nuvi was on the dash of the car (in the center). I think we can eliminate the possibility they were too close.

I do appreciate everyone's responses. Please, keep them coming and I will try them all. I want to be able to use the hands-free phone feature on the Nuvi because I drive a lot so I will try anything.

Thanks.
    07-04-08 07:23 AM
    The other option is to try and moving it closer. You could try sitting it on your lap and see if it gets any better. What type of noise or voice quality are you hearing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-08 01:25 AM
    The receiving end said I sounded like I was in a tin can and the volume was faint. Also, when they talked, they said they could hear their own voices in a delayed echo. The echo was annoying enough that I was asked to turn the Nuvi off and just use my phone.

On the calling end, I couldn't get the volume high enough to clearly hear the person I was calling. When I could hear them, it was often distorted. The distortion was to the point that I could not even guess what their words were.

I did try to use the system again with the BB 7290 and the Nuvi approximately two feet apart. The Nuvi was directly in front of me on a desk. The audio results were about the same. This time I could hear the person on the other end since there was no road noise but often their voice was distorted. They again complained about my voice sounding weak and "tinny" plus the echo of their voice.

Thanks again for the input to my problem.
    07-05-08 07:47 AM
    Just went out with the 360 and the BB and things sounded fine. BB was on the hip and was just holding the Nuvi about arm lengths away from me. It was noticed when I wasn't talking directly towards it but otherwise it sounded just like the phone. I was out in the middle of the hangar though so there wasn't any interference at all.

I am not sure what the problem would be. I know when I am driving it picks up some road noise.

I had the volume on the nuvi set to 2 bars/taps below the maximum and no echo. There was some echo when I was near some equipment with a big fan running though.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Let me know how it goes.
    07-08-08 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD