That BlackBerry fell out of the consumer mind share @ BBOS5. PlayBook and all the advancements up to OS7 will be baked into BB10 but written ground up for the QNX platform. People are going to go "wow this rocks" when in fact OS7 did pretty much the same albeit a bit less flashy. BlackBerry/RIM have been dead on the OS level for some time. That is their biggest advantage as they bring BlackBerry 10. They have the chance to recapture the market they once dominated prior to 2007-8 by doing the same "revolutionary" change they did so many years ago. We had multiple devices. Pagers, PDAs, cell phones and laptops for email (Palm Treo anyone?). BlackBerry said. You dont need all that , here's a BB. And the rest is literally history. And it will repeat itself. This time against the BYOD trend and in the vertical markets that QNX already plays ball in. Don't be naive BlackBerry 10 is changing mobile RIGHT NOW. Look at YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr and FaceBook on iOS all are using swipe gestures and taking on BB10 design influence. This is a reboot of epic proportions. Windows 8 would have taken people's breath away but they rushed WP7 to market and it's already stale. It'll have growth of course but only because Microsoft has money to market and keep it on the shelves even when it's an afterthought. Windows ALWAYS comes late to the game but delivers. BB10 is keeping all it's secrets till launch. We'll be seeing Beta 3 sometime in November but even then we'll have only seen a fraction of the true BlackBerry 10 mobile computing future we have in store. The death and "antiquated" perception of BB is the very wall for which they paint BB10 it will be such a dramatic shift that people will be, astonished. Nuff said #BB10 Q1 2013.

(and let's face it 2012 was never going to work for RIM who caters to the Enterprise sector first. With QNX unproven on phones the adoption by enterprise wouldn't have happened until 2013 anyway with a Q4 launch)

This is the way of BlackBerry and it is the start of a new era. Enjoy your iPhones and Androids while they still have your attention. Windows 8 and BB10 will go places the other two couldn't even dream of. Monolithic/Hybrid kernals are old, muddled architectures. It's time to move on. It's not about whether you have to change, it's about when. And RIM knows this better than any of us do, and time will prove us all saps to iFad and it's "innovations"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-09-12 07:33 PM
    I cant wait to get my hands on BB10. rely is going to be a late Christmas this year. I dont care that I have to wait my 9930 is new to me and I love it. But when the 10 drops I'm on it!
    You sound like you have a good understanding of whats under the hood in QNX, Is QNX something that others will be able to replicate? or make something better? what is it at the core that is some much better than the rest?
    11-09-12 07:44 PM
    Simple answer? Micro Kernal
    There is no other RealTtimeOperatingSystem in consumer hands. Windows 8 is a hybrid kernal taking some of aspects of a Monolitc Kernal and a Micro Kernal.

Hybrids are cool. Mac OS is hybrid, Windows 8 is now a hybrid. And Samsungs Bada is also a RTOS/Linux Hybrid.
    But these are bastardized versions of what QNX truly is. QNX is a true blue 100% micro kernel. The benefits are astronomical. For instance you'll buy a 32 GB Playbook and be able to used 32 GBs of it. The firmware doesn't take up as much space with a microkernal, these hybrids are attempts to reach the bread and butter that is QNX, in my opinion. QNX is built for mission critcal systems but if you wanna read more on that I have a nice write up on NerdBerry you can find here It should answer your question more fully.

The beauty of what RIM is doing, and the beauty of why they have forgone jumping to Windows or Android on their hardware is that QNX is fully patent protected. Sure, there are other RTOS's out there that are true blue microkernals but NONE are as groomed and mature as QNX is. And As Apple plays patent troll this will help set RIM apart.
    11-09-12 08:52 PM
    Wanna Retweet this for some reason Good stuff thank you!
    James Nieves likes this.
    11-09-12 09:38 PM
    I'll be here till Q1 Baby! Find me on twitter! @jmznvs or over at NerdBerry pontificating my A$$ off
    bb624, Dapper37 and BB_Bmore like this.
    11-09-12 09:57 PM
    Simple answer? Micro Kernal
    There is no other RealTtimeOperatingSystem in consumer hands. Windows 8 is a hybrid kernal taking some of aspects of a Monolitc Kernal and a Micro Kernal.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cture2.svg.png

Hybrids are cool. Mac OS is hybrid, Windows 8 is now a hybrid. And Samsungs Bada is also a RTOS/Linux Hybrid.
    But these are bastardized versions of what QNX truly is. QNX is a true blue 100% micro kernel. The benefits are astronomical. For instance you'll buy a 32 GB Playbook and be able to used 32 GBs of it. The firmware doesn't take up as much space with a microkernal, these hybrids are attempts to reach the bread and butter that is QNX, in my opinion. QNX is built for mission critcal systems but if you wanna read more on that I have a nice write up on NerdBerry you can find here It should answer your question more fully.

The beauty of what RIM is doing, and the beauty of why they have forgone jumping to Windows or Android on their hardware is that QNX is fully patent protected. Sure, there are other RTOS's out there that are true blue microkernals but NONE are as groomed and mature as QNX is. And As Apple plays patent troll this will help set RIM apart.
    what do you mean by firmware of a microkernel doesn't take up as much space? if you are talkign about the kernel size then your right its a leaner kernel architecture and drivers and such are bot coded into it, but the over all OS will still be close to or of equal size as any other it all comes down to the way it is coded. drivers are still required as well as file systems so the OS itself will still take up as much space but these things unlike a monolithic or even a hybrid are not built into the kernel, QNXs kernel consists of interprocessing communication CPU scheduling timers and interupt redirections, where as others build file systems and drivers into the kernel makign it chunkier
    Last edited by GTiLeo; 11-10-12 at 03:28 AM.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-10-12 03:18 AM
    Great post, thanks i'll head over and have a read on your link.
    James Nieves likes this.
    11-10-12 06:33 PM
    )

This is the way of BlackBerry and it is the start of a new era. Enjoy your iPhones and Androids while they still have your attention. Windows 8 and BB10 will go places the other two couldn't even dream of.

Man I'm all for optimism, but that is one huge honking expectation you have there. I mean your simply stating that bb10 will eclipse both ios and Android? I have to say that's a big bold statement. Not only will that not happen, it will simply never happen. Not even if you lump it together with win8. It's just not a possible outcome from a analytical standpoint. There are no trends that show any sort of decrease in sales with either ios or Android. Nor is there anything to show that there is much public mainstream interest in bb10 (or awareness for that matter) -- which btw is the demographic you would want to have on your side when it comes to positive smartphone market perception, and not cb users.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    11-10-12 07:25 PM
    My microkernel is better than your microkernel. #bb10
    James Nieves likes this.
    11-10-12 07:42 PM
    Man I'm all for optimism, but that is one huge honking expectation you have there. I mean your simply stating that bb10 will eclipse both ios and Android? I have to say that's a big bold statement. Not only will that not happen, it will simply never happen. Not even if you lump it together with win8. It's just not a possible outcome from a analytical standpoint. There are no trends that show any sort of decrease in sales with either ios or Android. Nor is there anything to show that there is much public mainstream interest in bb10 (or awareness for that matter) -- which btw is the demographic you would want to have on your side when it comes to positive smartphone market perception, and not cb users.

I dont think anyone see's BlackBerry eclipsing apple or android any time soon. RIM doesn't have to and they could still be a spectacular success. If RIM can simply gain a few percentage points of market share back its going to add Billions to their bottom line and the stock will tripple or more. All that could visably take place in one year! at which point we are in a whole new ball game!
    11-10-12 09:03 PM
    I bought shares of RIM when it was down at 5.24 my shares have nearly doubles already, without the BB10. The true value of a company that still adds millions of users a quarter is inherent whether the North American market gives a damn about BlackBerry or not. I am not blindly optimistic--I look at RIMs assets across the globe and they are clearly undervalued. The power QNX brings them is still a mystery to 95 percent of the world, and yet QNX is everywhere from air traffic control modules to nuclear power moduals. And in tons of medical devices EEG, Bone density scanners, lasik eye surgery the list is tremendous. BlackBerry has the only FIPS certified microkernal on the market. As powerful as Java was back in 2002 opening up the mobile field to competitors--QNX and BlackBerry are about to do it again. By the end of 2013 you'll see exactly what I mean. Right now, immediately out the gate they're after Android. It's a lecherous cyst in the smartphone world taking over 60percent of the total market share. Everyone deserves to make money and innovation is the key to getting whats deserved. Apple has grown fat and complacent in the same way BBOS did. But they don't consume the market except here in North Amercia. They simply carve out their 33percent and sell high end to garner their numbers. As I highlighted in my nerdberry article,
    "THE FUTURE OF RIM, MAY HAVE VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH CELLPHONES

It�s not acoincidencethat QNX is nowownedby RIM. In fact RIM is probably best suited to take QNX where it wants to go, and that is into consumer and enterprise hands and systems (causeit�s already everywhere else).RIM has the secure network infrastructure to take QNX places Apple nor Samsung ever could. RIM has their BES and NOC infrastructure across 175 countries and across 650+ carrier partners globally. They still retain 90% of Fortune 500 in enterprise, and can boast just over 80 million users. Not counting the near 2 million people that already have QNX running their tablet, Playbook. Or the 300 million cars on the road powered by QNX. Or the millions of medical devicesincluding ECG machines, angiography systems, cardiac monitors, and bone density analyzers, even LASIK eye surgery systems run QNX. The freakin� traffic control systems are QNX powered, even air traffic control systems. Even Nasa uses QNX: to first help build the international space station, and then reached out to QNX to get them onboard every space shuttle."

Aside from us PlayBook owners. No one has truly witnessed the power of QNX but it runs behind, within, and a around us everyday. Don't take it for granted RIM can attack vertical markets these other guys would take years to penetrate. I don't see Android or iOS or even Windows building an SDK for Car Manufactures. A few days ago Ford/Microsoft were celebrating there penetration into 5 million vehicles since its introduction in of SYNC 2007. In 2011 alone QNX shipped in 9+million vehicles and that's just in regards to Nav/Telemetic Systems. Microsoft is to desktop as QNX is to the embedded world. Thats a fact that RIM will use to leverage BB10 and take back considerable marketshare. There is no other RTOS as mature as QNX which has been around since before Windows 1 and Apple Lisa. BlackBerry 10 is about to change the way all the other OSs are built. And change the way we use our phones period. Be ready or be lost. North America is not the prize, when countries like India have over 1 billion mobile users to North Americas <350 million.

11-11-12 07:05 AM
    Monolithic/Hybrid kernals are old, muddled architectures. It's time to move on. It's not about whether you have to change, it's about when. And RIM knows this better than any of us do, and time will prove us all saps to iFad and it's "innovations"
    RRIINNG.... RRIINNG... RRIINNGG...
    "Hello? Oh really? Sure, Ill tell him..."
    Hey, Jamezalexander! The 80ies just called, and they want their programming paradigm back!

Seriously though, you know those hybrid kernels you're talking about? They're actually the result of micro kernels NOT living up to the promise.

So another way of looking at it, would be that QNX is a child of the 80ies, whereas the kind of hybrid kernels you find in Windows and Mac OSX (or iOS and Android) is the result of the continued evolution of OS kernels that has taken place since they came up with the concept of a micro kernel and figuring out that it didn't really work in the way they hoped it would.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-11-12 07:28 AM

Do you think people said that about apple iphone when it came out? No way it will ever surpass bb?
    James Nieves likes this.
    11-11-12 08:14 AM
    Do you think people said that about apple iphone when it came out? No way it will ever surpass bb?
    Yes. Apple had something very different and even special. What exactly is so special about bb10 again? Plus I believe since apple was a complete newcomer to the market it added an additional novelty to it all. I remember being In high school and people wishing their apple ipods were simply their phones. BlackBerry has been around forever with nothing new notably coming out during the recent growth period in smartphones. Consumers may feel they have been there and done that. RIM unlike other smartphone manufacturers never truly listened to its consumer base. People who had blackberries in the past never saw improvements to the platform to the extent Google and apple has done with their OS's, which in turn results to less overall churn and keeps customers coming back with new iterations. Both Google and apple attentiveness has resulted in both platforms being notably refined and polished.

BlackBerry has been the same nearly since inception and has never improved on its success to be quite honest. Coming into 2013 people won't simply look at bb10 and forget how blackberry was in the past, and that is unfortunate. It's the sad reality.

11-11-12 09:29 AM
    RRIINNG.... RRIINNG... RRIINNGG...
    "Hello? Oh really? Sure, Ill tell him..."
    Hey, Jamezalexander! The 80ies just called, and they want their programming paradigm back!

Seriously though, you know those hybrid kernels you're talking about? They're actually the result of micro kernels NOT living up to the promise.

So another way of looking at it, would be that QNX is a child of the 80ies, whereas the kind of hybrid kernels you find in Windows and Mac OSX (or iOS and Android) is the result of the continued evolution of OS kernels that has taken place since they came up with the concept of a micro kernel and figuring out that it didn't really work in the way they hoped it would.
    with your logic then get out of the 60s where the monolithic programming was designed, and practically ancient

and one thing you have to remember is a hybrid is close to a microkernel then a monolithic kernel. the code has some properties of a monolithic to "help" improve perfomrance

in some cases sure, when it comes down to MACH yes, but an RTOS microkernel is completely different then a basic microkernel like MACH that was integrated into Darwin. its been claimed that a monolithic holds the highest speed factor, but its reliability and security is a big issue where as a microkernel is stable and secure, rolling them t ogether would clearly give the benefits and be the easy way to make a microkernel fast.

there were also studies done in the 90s that compared QNX and UNIX and proved that QNX back then was capable of higher stability and faster speeds, granded this was an old test but a test none the less, both on long since outdated machines and systems.

new technology in the microkernel field offers multi kernels, for multi processor CPUs or multi CPUs offering a master and slave kernels per core/processor

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...NqLkkOH0sbodkw

hopefully this link works and the PDF is able to open
    Last edited by GTiLeo; 11-11-12 at 10:00 AM.
    11-11-12 09:34 AM
    Yes. Apple had something very different and even special. What exactly is so special about bb10 again? Plus I believe since apple was a complete newcomer to the market it added an additional novelty to it all. I remember being In high school and people wishing their apple ipods were simply their phones. BlackBerry has been around forever with nothing new notably coming out during the recent growth period in smartphones. Consumers may feel they have been there and done that. RIM unlike other smartphone manufacturers never truly listened to its consumer base. People who had blackberries in the past never saw improvements to the platform to the extent Google and apple has done with their OS's, which in turn results to less overall churn and keeps customers coming back with new iterations. Both Google and apple attentiveness has resulted in both platforms being notably refined and polished.

BlackBerry has been the same nearly since inception and has never improved on its success to be quite honest. Coming into 2013 people won't simply look at bb10 and forget how blackberry was in the past, and that is unfortunate. It's the sad reality.

Sure but does that mean that they can not? Who knows where it will go but I'm sure there are things we won't know until launch or closer to it. Then again it may just be finally caught up and nothing new or different.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    11-11-12 09:38 AM
    with your logic then get out of the 60s where the monolithic programming was designed, and practically ancient

in some cases sure, when it comes down to MACH yes, but an RTOS microkernel is completely different then a basic microkernel like MACH that was integrated into Darwin. its been claimed that a monolithic holds the highest speed factor, but its reliability and security is a big issue where as a microkernel is stable and secure, rolling them t ogether would clearly give the benefits and be the easy way to make a microkernel fast.
    Yes you're right. "Rolling them together" as you call it would result in the best of both worlds.

Which is exactly what they did!

Windows, OSX and iOS are all built on a hybrid kernel incorporating the best of both micro kernels and monolithic kernels.
    11-11-12 10:02 AM
    Nay, they've re-written the microkernal ground up to perform for the consumer scale. QNX8 dearies. Where microkernals have failed in the past QNX will not becasue it's being built to fix the faults the microkernal may present when millions of hands call upon it to load their Facebooks, and Twitters.. It's called innovation. No one's ever put this RTOS microkernal in consumer hands their BETA test is called 'PlayBook' and it's nearing 2 million users. Not counting all the Playbooks given away or retooled to 4GLTE Models. Others have scratched their head trying to build a hybrid that can handle all the requirements, QNX has the ability to simply grow into what it needs to be, sure it's taken time. But it's coming. iOS wasn't built in a day, or even 3 years, it took upwards of 5 years (not accounting for all the time Jobs put into NeXT to get Mac OS built so its neutered iOS brother could be birthed. Apple wasn't a new comer to the market, the iPhone sales didn't even pop until they had the SDK which came a year later in 2008 along with the 'App Store' the reason the iPhone sold so well was because Jobs baited the consumer market with the iPod. Apple was on deaths door much like RIM is now. But RIM doesn't need a bailout, it needs the BB10 in the market. Going this route will prove the best move as time passes. They have their own thing going for them, lumping in with Windows or Android would have killed the handset division and made their multimillion dollar purchases bait for a bigger fish to buyout when RIM tanked and BlackBerry fell through. This is the best way forward, and back to the top, and if not they kill the handset division and research in motion goes straight software. Which I think is an eventuality we'll see years down the road. Other OEMS can build a 'BlackBerry' cheaper, period. RIM cannot compete against makers shelling out 30+ phones a year. Because the brand still has sway in other parts of the world and the audience and userbase still exists and is growing. BB10 will launch globally and turn heads. They are writing RIMs obituary to make it's revival that much more grand, or for the glee to say 'I told you so'. Get your head out of the medias and wake up.

RIM is so carefully letting BlackBerry die right now.
    So that they can resuscitate it with meaning and invigorate the brand once again. Putting innovation forward. Like Microsoft, RIM understands timing is everything. Androids popularity surged once they called in T.A.T to embellish 1.5 Cupcake and since then it's been growing like a cancer. History always repeats itself because the human condition hasn't changed in centuries. We are obedient to the forces and social structures that have evolved from our biological inheritance. We want what others have, it's the nature of this world. BlackBerry 10 only needs to be wanted, and because of this truth it will succeed. Need I remind people, this was the first android prototype:
    It was a f*ck*ng BlackBerry. History is doomed to repeat itself until people can stand up and change it. May we be reminded who created the first true smartphone Research in Motion
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-11-12 10:06 AM
    Yes you're right. "Rolling them together" as you call it would result in the best of both worlds.

Which is exactly what they did!

Windows, OSX and iOS are all built on a hybrid kernel incorporating the best of both micro kernels and monolithic kernels.
    yeah rolling basic microkernels, listen i'm not saying one is better then the other but what these hybrids were built off of is a simple MACH3 microkernel and integrated with a BSD monolithic both are pretty basic in the forms of both monolithic and microkernel, which operates and performs just fine, but you can't claim that simply because they integrate both type of systems into one that they are better then a honed monolithic like LINUX or a microkernel like QNX, each kernel type has had countless years in perfecting itself rather then rolling two different but basic kernels together
    James Nieves and recompile like this.
    11-11-12 10:15 AM
    yeah rolling basic microkernels, listen i'm not saying one is better then the other but what these hybrids were built off of is a simple MACH3 microkernel and integrated with a BSD monolithic both are pretty basic in the forms of both monolithic and microkernel, which operates and performs just fine, but you can't claim that simply because they integrate both type of systems into one that they are better then a honed monolithic like LINUX or a microkernel like QNX, each kernel type has had countless years in perfecting itself rather then rolling two different but basic kernels together
    I agree that one isn't inherently better than the other. Each has its ups and downs. I think the purpose of the hybrid kernel is to minimize the compromises that you would have with either a micro or mono kernel.

Either way, the kernel is only a tiny part of the actual OS. You could have the most advanced kernel on the planet and still crash and burn if you don't do everything else right.
    11-11-12 10:28 AM
    I agree that one isn't inherently better than the other. Each has its ups and downs. I think the purpose of the hybrid kernel is to minimize the compromises that you would have with either a micro or mono kernel.

Either way, the kernel is only a tiny part of the actual OS. You could have the most advanced kernel on the planet and still crash and burn if you don't do everything else right.
    agreed, a perfect example is Windows Vista a Hybrid kernel that has the best of both worlds gone completely wrong.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-11-12 10:35 AM

thanks for explaining why RIM has been taking their time with BB10.
    RIM is using QNX8 which has been built without compromise to supply them a platform for the next decade. And it happens to be a microkernal. Real-Time operating system, one that doesn't have the hiccups of other OS's because it holds all active applications in memory protected space, threaded in a way that won't cripple the system if one app crashes. With TAT at the core of BB10 supplanting their framework and UI design influence. I have little fear that BB10 will be a fabulous product. RIM needs to focus are marketing this badboy that's my only minor concern at this point.

kbz1960 likes this.
    11-11-12 12:59 PM
    RIM is using QNX8 which has been built without compromise to supply them a platform for the next decade. And it happens to be a microkernal. Real-Time operating system, one that doesn't have the hiccups of other OS's because it holds all active applications in memory protected space, threaded in a way that won't cripple the system if one app crashes. With TAT at the core of BB10 supplanting their framework and UI design influence. I have little fear that BB10 will be a fabulous product. RIM needs to focus are marketing this badboy that's my only minor concern at this point.

A microkernel has compromises, just like a monolithic kernel or a hybrid. Now that they decided on and built a solid foundation, RIM's task is to minimize or obfuscate those compromises and provide an exceptional user experience.

I think BB10 has the makings of a great OS that could tip things back in RIM's favour. But this won't be the first time a company in dire straits released an amazing OS. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It's all in the details.
    11-11-12 01:08 PM

its not always wise to store in the memory, eventually it may come to a point where you run out of memory and then apps crash out and close.

mikeo007 i don't think he or she means there is no compromise with a microkernel i think hes referrign to the fact that QNX8 was built to carry RIMs platform for the next 10 years with everything the company plans on rolling out not that there is no compromise with using a microkernel
    11-11-12 03:00 PM
    No, I meant no compromises for this particular microkernal Mikeo was correct
    11-11-12 03:14 PM
51 123