I don't have a type. If aesthetic, I am game! Not sure the point of why someone would enter a multi year contract on any current blackberry phone? I fail to comprehend the logic here. A perk would be a bb10 upgrade even if they charged a small fee in order to do that.
    Why would anyone buy an android on contract when it will be old, outdated and useless in a week.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    05-09-12 01:26 PM
    I do have to admit, I think it's funny when tech enthusiasts think that the general public cares about things like "quad core," or has any idea what that means.
    05-09-12 01:27 PM
    Why would anyone buy an android on contract when it will be old, outdated and useless in a week.
    Because it won't be.
    05-09-12 01:28 PM
    Yes, they lose all use whatsoever.
    JtothaR and howarmat like this.
    05-09-12 01:30 PM
    Because it won't be.
    Not according to some on here. The contract will still be in effect when it is 20 cores behind 2 years from now.
    brucep1 likes this.
    05-09-12 01:32 PM
    Regarding the idea that RIM can sell its devices for less because it takes additional money in subscription fees, my question is, why isn't this already happening? RIM's flagship, the Bold 9900, costs more than its equivalent iOS and Android competitors. Curves are cheap, sure, but they're already pretty much at the lower bound of "free on contract" along with cheapo Androids. Even Apple has budget models in the form of "last year's iPhone."

I definitely think RIM can and should price its first BB10 phones aggressively (like Nokia is doing with its Lumia 900), but I'm not sure they really have an advantage here.
    05-09-12 01:35 PM
    I wouldn't count on it man. bb10 will have its bugs, rim is closing in on bankruptcy if changes aren't made, and their stock continues to drop. The mistake they are making is the fact, they are not innovating anything new in recent years. I was on blackberry when they were hot, when entourage, and everyone in hollywood had one. Back before dual core processors. Find me a dual core blackberry please?

Blackberry is a joke. I seen pics of london which would have been a nice hot phone a year or so ago but, everything is quad core now though, we will likely get screwed here on quad core since, it cannot handle lte. RIm ed up hard imo and this late release of fall will match it with iphone5. Not surprised if they are out of business before the new year.
    1. They are not close to bankruptcy. They are profitable unlike some Android OEM's and Nokia, and have cash in the bank.

2. Dual core Blackberry: the Playbook. And no the first BB10 phone won't be a quad core A9 based ARM like what SG3 has, it will be a dual core A15 (new technology not old) based ARM design with twice the performance as a dual core A9 while using 60% less power. Quad Core A15 chips won't be out for some time. But its possible that the concept of how a dual core chip can be better than a quad core is beyond you.

Feel free to click on the Android Central link at the top of the page as you obviously have no interest in facts and love your Android devices.
    05-09-12 01:56 PM
    This is one of the reasons I'm so hesitant to buy an Android phone. It's always a case of, "If I can wait a couple more months, that (blank) core one is coming with (insert fun food name here)".

tough to pull the trigger on something like that, for me at least.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-12 01:57 PM
    Why don't you ask that to the 850,000 activations per day? Most do not care if there phone isn't the newest it doesn't stop working just because something newer came out. Man the bb crowd is getting really worked up lately. Getting almost as bad as the isheep
    05-09-12 01:58 PM
    This is one of the reasons I'm so hesitant to buy an Android phone. It's always a case of, "If I can wait a couple more months, that (blank) core one is coming with (insert fun food name here)".

tough to pull the trigger on something like that, for me at least.
    Have you ever pulled the trigger on a Windows PC?
    05-09-12 01:59 PM
    Not according to some on here. The contract will still be in effect when it is 20 cores behind 2 years from now.
    And those people, if they REALLY are passionate about getting the most up-to-date tech always have the option of buying the phone outright. Just because one is in a contract doesn't mean they absolutely cannot purchase a new device if they want one, they just won't get the carrier subsidy.
    05-09-12 02:10 PM
    I'm sure he must have tried but got tired of the viruses on Windows. And since Android is a huge virus, I can understand his reluctance.
    05-09-12 02:10 PM
    To quote a comment by Tony Boulos on SeekingAlpha:

Subscriber figures are very important for a company like RIM. Unlike Apple and Samsung who make almost all their money on the initial sale (aside from some app contribution afterward), RIM makes an average of $5 per month for each subscriber thereafter. That's $60 of additional revenue per year. RIM can sell phones for less and still make a decent profit because of that. And that number is pretty consistent no matter which market they have to resort to for sales. It's over $4 billion in revenue per year on an almost fixed cost for the network. (end quote)

I think that RIM could beat Android but undercutting the price of their phones. RIM would make money through subscriber revenue. A lot of people who buy Android do it because of the lower price than the Iphone. Blackberry could do extremely well in this market as long as they offer a comparable experience. Particularly because Android owners don`t seem to have a lot of loyalty.

My $0.02.
    Why do you think that the carriers charge what they do for BBs? It is precisely because they have to pay that monthly fee/subscriber. If RIM wants AT&T to them $120 over the course of a 2-year contract, well, AT&T is going to hike up the price of the initial purchase so that they have to subsidize it less. No carrier is going to subsidize the phone MORE while still having to pay the $5 per month/subscriber fee.

Because, regardless of whether there is a new, "better" phone out, the one you bought will continue to work just fine. Your reasoning and logic are flawed to no end.

If they've improved battery life - good, they should do if they're paying attention. I mentioned battery life because it was the one consistent complaint users had when reviewing/comparing those particular Android phones. It's like a flag... much like the battery life issue is on the Bold 9900.
    Battery life has been much improved on most Android phones lately. The race to bigger touchscreens was an initial hiccup. The first round of LTE phones also presented a hiccup. Why do you think that Apple stayed with a 3.5" screen and only bumped up to HSPA+ for the iPhone 4S? It is because they couldn't figure out how to get reasonable battery life with a bigger screen, LTE or a combination of both. That new Exynos quad core chip that Sammy put into the international version of the SIII is supposed to use 80% of the power than the older, dual core chips in the SII. Battery life is already basically a non-issue with Android phones issues within the last 8-10 months, and should only improve from here on out.
    05-09-12 02:16 PM
    And those people, if they REALLY are passionate about getting the most up-to-date tech always have the option of buying the phone outright. Just because one is in a contract doesn't mean they absolutely cannot purchase a new device if they want one, they just won't get the carrier subsidy.
    Another option is to just buy a subsidized phone and then, when something better comes out, buy the newer phone outright, and sell the old, subsidized phone to recoup some of the cost. This is easier with GSM carriers, but it isn't that tough even with CDMA.

I bought a subsidized iPhone 4 for $200 in 2010, very much disliked it, and so sold it a couple of months later for around $600 and used the money to buy an Android device outright.

It's a tedious process, but if having the very best is really that important...
    howarmat and pantlesspenguin like this.
    05-09-12 02:16 PM
    Haha yes. I feel the same way with that too, although operating systems seem a little more spread out than android.
    05-09-12 02:18 PM
    Haha yes. I feel the same way with that too, although operating systems seem a little more spread out than android.
    It is the same exact model. The only difference is manufacturer added skins.

There is one iPhone per year, which is great so you have the best iPhone for one year. However, there is better hardware released durring that time period. That's where Android comes into play. It's a constant cycle of devices using the latest and greatest all the time.

The latest and greatest is not needed to run Android though. Quad core devices are out, and I have not once thought about getting rid of my Galaxy Nexus for any of them.

I will have a few new phones at the end of this year though (BB10 and new iPhone or Nexus).
    05-09-12 02:25 PM
    It is the same exact model. The only difference is manufacturer added skins.

There is one iPhone per year, which is great so you have the best iPhone for one year. However, there is better hardware released durring that time period. That's where Android comes into play. It's a constant cycle of devices using the latest and greatest all the time.

The latest and greatest is not needed to run Android though. Quad core devices are out, and I have not once thought about getting rid of my Galaxy Nexus for any of them.

I will have a few new phones at the end of this year though (BB10 and new iPhone or Nexus).
    I think a point comes when it's not the hardware but the OS and they way it does things.

Look at Macbook....they are behind hardware for sure, but the Mac OSX has made a comeback with people as it just works. I know I'm going to sound like an Apple fanboy, but the thing is my 4 year Macbook with 4 year old hardware still runs the latest Tiger perfectly. I have no reason to upgrade besides wanting a nice new Aluminium Macbook. I was able to convince myself out of that want. Still holding on to a cracked (the keyboard surround cracks) white Macbook after 4 years. Just didn't feel like spending $1400 on a new Macbook when my old one with old hardware world fine.

Would rather spend $1400 on buying the latest and greatest BB .
    05-09-12 02:34 PM
    Another option is to just buy a subsidized phone and then, when something better comes out, buy the newer phone outright, and sell the old, subsidized phone to recoup some of the cost. This is easier with GSM carriers, but it isn't that tough even with CDMA.

I bought a subsidized iPhone 4 for $200 in 2010, very much disliked it, and so sold it a couple of months later for around $600 and used the money to buy an Android device outright.

It's a tedious process, but if having the very best is really that important...
    This. I've done this many times.
    howarmat likes this.
    05-09-12 02:52 PM
    I think a point comes when it's not the hardware but the OS and they way it does things.
    Agreed. ICS works perfectly on dual core.

Look at Macbook....they are behind hardware for sure, but the Mac OSX has made a comeback with people as it just works. I know I'm going to sound like an Apple fanboy, but the thing is my 4 year Macbook with 4 year old hardware still runs the latest Tiger perfectly. I have no reason to upgrade besides wanting a nice new Aluminium Macbook. I was able to convince myself out of that want. Still holding on to a cracked (the keyboard surround cracks) white Macbook after 4 years. Just didn't feel like spending $1400 on a new Macbook when my old one with old hardware world fine.

Would rather spend $1400 on buying the latest and greatest BB .
    I have the 13inch mid 2009 MacBook Pro, so yours is only one year older than mine.

I will most likely be upgrading within the next few years.
    05-09-12 02:59 PM
    I'm sure he must have tried but got tired of the viruses on Windows. And since Android is a huge virus, I can understand his reluctance.
    And..... most misinformed comment of the year goes to...... Drumroll Please........ sam_b77!

Thanks for your wonderful contribution to the return of RIM as the top smartphone platform in 2012.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-09-12 04:20 PM
    I haven't had a virus on my PC in about 8 years.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-12 04:23 PM
    This thread is awesome entertainment
    *sits down, opens up the popcorn and watches page after page of infractions continue unchecked*
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-09-12 06:05 PM
    yea this thread escalated quickly lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-09-12 08:06 PM
    Why don't you ask that to the 850,000 activations per day? Most do not care if there phone isn't the newest it doesn't stop working just because something newer came out. Man the bb crowd is getting really worked up lately. Getting almost as bad as the isheep
    So no one wants a current bb because it will be outdated but everyone wants outdated androids?

Actually I was making a point to the isheep in the thread. Goes for any tech, the day you buy it, it is outdated already or will be soon. So yeah go ahead and call me/us all blacksheep with no i.
    05-09-12 08:25 PM
    isheep! Ive never heard that one! have i been under a rock?!! lol!! LOVE it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-09-12 08:34 PM
271 ... 7891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD