Just curious if anyone else here on the forum is a little weary of the whole "tile" theme on the upcoming BB10? I have an iPhone as well as a 9800 Torch and I have to tell you one of my favorite features is the track pad! I guess I'm in the minority but I think OS 6/7 is just a elegant "mature" OS. I'm due for a upgrade on 12/25 so I will have had a chance to play with iOS 6 and will definitely wait for BB10 but in the end I just might pick up a 9900. Just wanted to see what my BB peeps thoughts were on this.

Regards......Ed
    ritesh likes this.
    08-16-12 08:35 PM
    Sad to lose the trackpad.

Someone brought it to my attention this week that BB10 won't have one. (I forget their reason).

Having said that I'm sure it won't take too long to get used to a Blackberry without a trackpad.
    I'll still carry my 9900 along with a KB BB10 too anyway.
    08-16-12 09:09 PM
    Will the physical keyboard model have a track pad?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    08-16-12 09:11 PM
    Will the physical keyboard model have a track pad?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    A person implied none of them will because of cascades, I think their rationale was. Of course its not concrete yet.
    08-16-12 09:14 PM
    A person implied none of them will because of cascades, I think their rationale was. Of course its not concrete yet.
    I hope they keep the track pad I love my bold and how easy it is to navigate.
    08-16-12 09:17 PM
    I hope they keep the track pad I love my bold and how easy it is to navigate.
    I also hope they keep it.

Maybe if they do, bb10 keyboard phones will be slightly all round larger.
    08-16-12 09:22 PM
    I hope they at least keep the trackpad on the keyboard version of BB10. I like it best when it comes to navigation of my device.
    08-16-12 09:24 PM
    I think bb OS 7 devices will be around for a few more years along with bb10. The Bold is such a awesome device I think Rim needs to put the BB 10 OS in a bold.
    carullo likes this.
    08-16-12 09:25 PM
    Cascades is very touch centric. I don't think they will be keeping the trackpad, it wouldn't serve much of a function. It's also a pain for devs to have to take trackpad into account when designing a UI, it's much easier to just design for all touch, or no touch.
    08-16-12 09:48 PM
    I'm pretty sure RIM will keep the trackpad or think of something new to replace it... Blackberry would suck without a trackpad :/
    08-16-12 11:50 PM
    i thought it was already solidified from a Rim source that the trackpad is gone in bb10? Pretty sure i remember seeing something like that in one of the many interviews we've had this year. I distinctly remember hearing the 5 key setup will be abandoned in bb10.....or maybe im just imagining it.

As much as i like the trackpad and want to have one for precision navigation, i dont think rim will stick to it. But hey, how hard can it be to create an app for it? Im sure there someone on CB that could put out a simple trackpad app.
    08-17-12 12:27 AM
    i have never thought "hey playbook needs a trackpad"

bb10 without a trackpad is fine by me.
    08-17-12 12:30 AM
    I think the trackpad would be nice on the full qwerty BB10 device, since that device is pretty much going to be for us BlackBerry diehards who just won't give up the traditional form factor.

The trackpad would be pretty redundant on the full touchscreen BB10 phone though, if the UI is as smooth as we've been shown. I know that I feel no need for a trackpad on my PlayBook, because it really is meant to be touched and swiped. I really like OS 7.1, I find it smoother than iOS 5 and I think it is the perfect evolution of the original BlackBerry OS. (Maybe I really like it because I've been using it for so long?!)
    08-17-12 12:41 AM
    So here's question for you guys. Would you rather BB10 keep the 4 keys and trackpad, or have a larger display?
    08-17-12 09:29 AM
    So here's question for you guys. Would you rather BB10 keep the 4 keys and trackpad, or have a larger display?
    Keep 4 Keys and a trackpad 100%
    08-17-12 09:35 AM

The lack of the TrackPad is a reason I don't use my PlayBook as much as I would.

not having a curse sucks,

and the higher the PPI on the screen the MORE it sucks,
    jegs2 and sleepngbear like this.
    08-17-12 09:37 AM

A Playbook screen is a bit larger than a BB Bold screen. You might have microscopic fingers with a capability to place that cursor easily between letters in a word, but many of us do not.

And yes, I've connected a bluetooth mouse to my PB from time to time to make navigation during typing more precise.
    Last edited by jegs2; 08-17-12 at 09:43 AM.
    08-17-12 09:41 AM
    No trackpad could be enough reason for me to stay with BB7. Of course that does depend on how they end up addressing its current functionality. Forget about touch-screen typing -- I absolutely abhor touch-screen text editing (pinpointing a spot to insert, selecting a block to cut/copy/paste); so if there is to be no more trackpad, I sure hope they come up with something pretty phenomenal to replace it.

I'm not trying to be critical here, but there's a number of reasons why I greatly prefer BB over the alternatives. If BB10 cuts too deeply into those, I have no problem at all staying with BB7 as long as it's around.
    08-17-12 09:52 AM
    I am excited about BB10. I also, understand that I and most folks don't really know what to expect. I hope for a device with a keyboard and a track pad. I will not be one of those people that picks one up right away. I am out of my VZW contract and could get anything. Maybe June 2013 I will get a BB10 if it suits my needs. I am a HUGE fan of my 9930. It is fast, has the storage I need and applications I use. Sure, I would love some more great games but I did not get my 9930 for gaming. My 2cents. GO BOLD GO BlackBerry. Oh and GO CrackBerry.
    08-17-12 10:43 AM
    Remember the stylus? That was the cool little pen-like thing that allowed you to pinpoint edit stuff on your smartphone.

My Treo has one.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    08-17-12 11:43 AM
    I think the Bold 9930 would be perfect for me if the camera was world class. However, with the just O.K. camera it still comes out on top for me.
    I plan to get the BB10 device (with physical keyboard) largely because of the camera.
    08-17-12 11:51 AM
    I really don't care for having fingerprints all over my screen which is one reason I like the keyboard. I like the glass that the iPad has. Hope they put it on the BB10. For some reason it doesn't pick up fingerprints like the BB and PB.
    08-17-12 11:52 AM
    I think they will work hard to make sure the text editing is still easy, since they know we love that about our BlackBerry's.
    08-17-12 12:35 PM
    the track pad, rim wants to get into the year 2012!
    08-17-12 12:48 PM
    FWIW, I haven't felt the need for a trackpad since my MyTouch 4G. The 3.8in display was still small enough that I used it quite a bit. Then when I got into 4.3in and now my 4.8in screens, the edge of my thumb works just fine. And if it isn't EXACT, the cursor isn't just a straight line, there's a little "tab" at the bottom of it where you can put your finger and drag it to where it needs to be. I'm hoping the BB10 keyboard will implement these aspects. I plan on getting the full touch BB10 device, and as long as it has a 4.3in-ish display I won't lament the loss of the trackpad.
    08-17-12 01:23 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD