1. Your Friendly Neighbourhood Interac Guy's Avatar
    Hey CrackBerry!

Looong time BlackBerry user here since 2000. 15 years! I'm one of the lucky guys who works for a company who adopted BlackBerry early on coming from Motorola pagers, and I get a paid company BlackBerry . LOVE IT!

I have been the "CrackBerry " guy in my family and have been trying to get my family and friends to either stay on BlackBerry or switch back.

My wife, who has never owned a cell phone in her life, is FINALLY ready to join the 21st century. She knows how much I love BlackBerry and laughs why a guy who doesn't get paid to promote BlackBerry, loves BlackBerry so much and pushes for it every chance he gets.

Anyhow, she has been leaning towards the iPhone 6, and I have been urging her to come up with good reasons why to go with an Apple as opposed to BlackBerry. Everything iPhone 6 does, the Z30 or Passport can do.

She doesn't have any really good reasons to go with the iPhone 6, and I'm running out of ways to persuade her to become a proud BlackBerry user.

Anyone else have the same spousal issues? Have you been able to get your loved ones to go with BlackBerry? If so, what was the tipping point?

I really want her to go with BlackBerry because she wants to, not because I want her to.

Please help!

Cheers,

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Interac Guy

Posted via CB10

EDIT:

Wow, CrackBerry Nation! You don't disappoint!!!
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least.

I think the common theme below seems to be to let her choose her own device. I couldn't agree more.

I'll give a little inside look at her tech habits. She gave up her old Dell laptop two years ago for a BlackBerry PlayBook and keyboard. She hasn't brought her laptop into work for that long! It hasn't disappointed until the last 6 months or so. So, we're probably looking into some tablet / laptop replacements soon as well ( .

She is a young medical professional who balances multiple email clients, and social media accounts. The hub was built specifically for someone like her, yet ironically she sees her own family using Apple products and thinks perhaps this is the way to go for a 1st time smartphone owner. Or perhaps this is a spously tease knowing how much I love BlackBerry.

My wife is not one for gaming or necessarily tons of apps, and long as she can achieve what she needs to get done: email, social media, surfing the Web, texting, and phone calls. Hello?! BlackBerry?!!!

She is open to BlackBerry, but I have a feeling doesn't necessarily want to be the odd one out with one. I personally love the exclusivity of it, and the genius behind our beloved 10.3.1, not to mention the beautiful builds and design of the Z10, Z30 and Passport.

We have gone to the phone shops and have compared the different platforms. I, of course, highlight all of BlackBerry's best and brightest features. I just needed that extra insensitive to get her on BB10.

In the end, I will be leaving the ultimate decision up to her, all while giving my thoughts and tips.

I really appreciate all the advice from everyone!This thread will also be added to my toolbag of pros of going BlackBerry. There is tons of love and help from the CrackBerry community.

Cheers y'all!

Keep your fingers crossed!

Sincerely,

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Interac Guy
    Last edited by Your Friendly Neighbourhood Interac Guy; 02-26-15 at 03:13 PM.
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    02-24-15 01:37 PM
    Advice? Let her have what she wants. Even if it's not a BlackBerry. Happy wife. Happy life.
    02-24-15 01:40 PM
  3. Your Friendly Neighbourhood Interac Guy's Avatar
    LOL, that's definitely good advice!

Posted via CB10
    GodGibson likes this.
    02-24-15 01:43 PM
    I got my wife a Z30 and the things she likes are the BBM features. Video chat, Glymps,etc. Stuff she can keep track of me with )

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    02-24-15 01:48 PM
    Happy Life = Happy Wife = iOS.

Reason being is simple. She's going to see apps that she wants to try and there is a good chance they are not on BlackBerry. Do you really want to explain to her to get apps you have to go to 2 different app stores, and maybe find what she's looking for. And don't forget to tell her that in order to purchase music/media you need yet another 3rd party app that she has to hunt down.

Don't forget the iPhone camera that is unmatched by anything BlackBerry can offer.

Happy Life = Happy Wife = iOS
    Last edited by GoJaysGo; 02-24-15 at 02:08 PM.
    02-24-15 01:51 PM
    My thought is that if she's interested in the iPhone, let her get one. You cannot forcibly 'convert' someone, they have to want to use BB10 by their own choice. If she isn't convinced about BB10 even after you've talked to her so much about it, then she doesn't want it.

My advice: let her get the iPhone.
    02-24-15 01:52 PM
    I "talked" my daughter into BB10... eight months later I let my wife get an iPhone to go with her iPad.

I'm afraid that "everything" an iPhone can do a BB10 device can do, isn't really true. My daughter runs into all kinds of limitations with BB10 when compared with her iPad or my wife's iPhone. Yes some of them could be overcome if I wanted to try and install Cobalts patches... but that is more maintenance then I want for my device, much less someone elses. And who know what Google or Amazon will do in six months that might change the whole user experience. A BB10 device can be very useful and can meet the needs of a particular group. Only you and your wife can decided if BB10 is for her - but if she is just now getting her first cell phone.... an iPhone is as about as simple and easy to use device as you could hope for.
    Umaima_B_Dia and AndyYNWA like this.
    02-24-15 01:53 PM
    Big difference between a $750 phone and a $250 phone. She could buy an unlocked Z30 and save $20 a month in carrier costs. If $ is not an issue, the iPhone is best for consumers. Apps and third party accessories are not in the BlackBerry's vocabulary.

Actually using a Classic keyboard vs the iPhone keyboard might convince someone who has no smartphone experience. The Passport is too wide for most users. The iPhone has the best camera.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    02-24-15 01:55 PM
    Big difference between a $750 phone and a $250 phone.
    Not sure where you're getting your prices from but an off contract Z30 is $599 at Rogers in Canada, iPhone 6 starts at $749 a little off on your numbers. I got a little chuckle out of the word "apps" under the Passport...

BB10 vs iOS for my wife-screen-shot-2015-02-24-3.11.10-pm.png

BB10 vs iOS for my wife-screen-shot-2015-02-24-3.13.20-pm.png
    NYTOC83 likes this.
    02-24-15 02:14 PM
    BBM video is a good one I think

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 02:17 PM
    Hey CrackBerry!

Looong time BlackBerry user here since 2000. 15 years! I'm one of the lucky guys who works for a company who adopted BlackBerry early on coming from Motorola pagers, and I get a paid company BlackBerry . LOVE IT!

I have been the "CrackBerry " guy in my family and have been trying to get my family and friends to either stay on BlackBerry or switch back.

My wife, who has never owned a cell phone in her life, is FINALLY ready to join the 21st century. She knows how much I love BlackBerry and laughs why a guy who doesn't get paid to promote BlackBerry, loves BlackBerry so much and pushes for it every chance he gets.

Anyhow, she has been leaning towards the iPhone 6, and I have been urging her to come up with good reasons why to go with an Apple as opposed to BlackBerry. Everything iPhone 6 does, the Z30 or Passport can do.

She doesn't have any really good reasons to go with the iPhone 6, and I'm running out of ways to persuade her to become a proud BlackBerry user.

Anyone else have the same spousal issues? Have you been able to get your loved ones to go with BlackBerry? If so, what was the tipping point?

I really want her to go with BlackBerry because she wants to, not because I want her to.

Please help!

Cheers,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Interac Guy

Posted via CB10
    Expandable memory and the micro HDMI port are two major reasons that I prefer my BlackBerry to an iPhone. If you side load Snap she'll have access to the Google Play store so I don't really buy the argument -- at least since the improved Android emulator on 10.3.1 -- that users who choose BlackBerry will suffer with fewer apps. Using Snap is as easy as BlackBerry world and I haven't recently had any of the sizing issues on my Q10 that plagued BlackBerry Android support in the early days.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 02:26 PM
    Ditch the wife she obviously not loyal or understanding. Lots of fish in the sea.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 02:32 PM
    Tell her you'll only message her using BBM tho.
    q649 and blusls like this.
    02-24-15 02:32 PM
    iOS... iOS... iOS...,

oh wait we are in CRACKBerry...
    BB10... BB10... BB10!!!
    02-24-15 02:35 PM
    I told mine that I couldn't help her with it and that I know BB10 inside out. She took the Z10 and is extremely happy with it. She'd like a Classic now. Apps are not an issue.

Posted via CB10
    Fronzcamino likes this.
    02-24-15 02:44 PM
    My wife has a iPhone 6 and I have a Passport for pretty much the reasons other people has said.

All I asked is for her to install BBM.
    RigoMonster likes this.
    02-24-15 03:13 PM
    Sorry USA prices 649 vs 250 and Canada 749 vs 329. You can buy the Z30 at Shop Blackberry Canada. I did not have the problems that others have had. Mind you I did not opt for quick delivery or attempt to return it. The carriers BlackBerry price is too expensive. Apparently you can buy a Z10 at some Canadian Staples stores for 199.97. A great phone now that battery issue has been resolved after the latest OS update (from my experience) . They also show a Z30 at selected stores for $349 CDN.

Regarding apps, I seriously doubt that OP would be installing Snap but yes for now Snap does resolve most of the app issues.
    Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 03:13 PM
    To best answer the question, you need to have her answer a few questions as well. ie.. What does she intend to do with a smartphone (beyond phone calls and messaging). Does she want it to "just work" no matter what she's trying to do? What do the majority of her friends/contacts use to correspond? How much effort is she willing to learn the OS inside and out to ensure she can handle any possible issues that may come up? How frustrated will she be if you are her only resource to resolve issues?

Sometimes it's just easier to let them start on the easier path, and then migrate over. And how much will you cringe should the occasional "Why isn't that app available for my phone?" question comes up. Despite the Android solutions available, unless you're dedicated to the BB brand, that can be a real turnoff to the amateur smartphone user.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 02-24-15 at 03:33 PM.
    02-24-15 03:22 PM
    Until she actually uses a smartphone, she might not appreciate BB. My first smarty phone was a BB, and it was a steep learning curve. I didn't really like it for about a month. Of course now I can't use anything else as happily, but at first iOS is easier to grasp I am told by friends.
    02-24-15 03:23 PM
    My wife moved from iPhone to Blackberry Z30 because I told her we can have Video Screen Sharing live when she is on the trip with her sisters without posting in Social Network or texting pictures. While she on the trip, we have video screen sharing every time she has more pictures or video to show while resting in hotel. Both of her sisters are using iPhone 6 and 6+ and not able to do video Screen Sharing live with their spouses. They only can do FaceTime and texting the images. My wife asked both of her sisters why they bought an iPhone, they said because most of the people at their work have an iPhone, so they want to belong with them.
    02-24-15 03:42 PM
    With wives, follow the path of least resistance to ensure good night sleep
    02-24-15 03:54 PM
    The reasons to have Blackberry are the following:
    BBM groups and shared calendard and to do lists and of course video chats all around the workl ( I travel a lot).
    Transfering files via NFC/Bluetooth. (Apple only works with Apple... )
    Easy access and intergration with cloud based Box, dropbox... for sharing big files and other.
    Hell imagine your wife wants to forward you a Calendar invite it is too complicated to do on iphone and almost impossible if she is not the organizer of the meeting. ( this can be a meeting with a doctor, a vaccination clinic anything that the couple will do) Frankly iphone calendar sucks in that department !
    02-24-15 04:22 PM
    I had this issue years ago and my wife go a BB because I could assist her the best when we had the same phone. Now, I would have to say the path of least resistance, iphone. (I can't believe I'm saying that).
    revtech likes this.
    02-24-15 04:29 PM
    My wife and I have Z30's, she loves games, so Amazon and 1 Mobile Market suits her needs. I hate the proprietary nature of Ios, BlackBerry let's me customize and load leaks( geeky) , it's my phone. We love BBM, video, clear voice calls, sharing screens. Our adult children have BBM on the IPhones.
    02-24-15 04:32 PM
    Not sure where you're getting your prices from but an off contract Z30 is $599 at Rogers in Canada, iPhone 6 starts at $749 a little off on your numbers. I got a little chuckle out of the word "apps" under the Passport...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 3.11.10 PM.png 
Views:	2333 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	336601

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 3.13.20 PM.png 
Views:	2331 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	336602
    Unlocked Z30 currently on for $329 CA on shopblackberry.ca.
    Regular price is $399. I believe the $250 referred to is the US price on sale.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 04:40 PM
141 123 ...