And it's swiping.
    The premise was that nobody has it apart from BlackBerry.
    This is not correct.

If 4 fingers are too much or not, isn't important for saying that the premise was completely wrong.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, it's like being proven wrong and then throwing something else out to try and not admit one is wrong.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-02-13 08:04 PM
    Look I am. Not so good in terms etc but what I do with my q10 is I turn the music player on. Then I open my favorite app star tracker. In the mean time I download a movie from YouTube and Becouse I am driving I hear the voice of the navigation from the boxes of the car via bluetooth... an I read my messages and reply them with a touch.. and I am smoking a sigaret after I take a nip from my coffe
    That's what they mean with multitasking I guess.. can't do that with an I phone.. or android.. but!! There are so many annoying bugs.. sensor issues etc.. not complete..

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 08:38 PM
    In my experience, my Windows Phone 8 receives emails after my Z10 and both are linked to same addresses! I am using Outlook Web App on the pc, but that ought not to make a difference. I can't understand why - WP8 ought to win hands down, no questions. Mine doesn't though...
    It depends on what is included in 'better integration' meaning.
    We know that Google is an advertising provider, BB develops communication devices.

BB uses gmail to its full messaging potential - in my tests it properly shows international characters and receives gmail messages almost instantly (droids delay up to 13 minutes).
    At the same time, I see that android web browser displays more ads on a google search page; meaning BB not fully utilizes the ads stream.

So, if you think better integration is to support main google business model, then android integrates better.
    If you want gmail as a communication tool, then BB wins.
    Last edited by vrud; 12-02-13 at 09:32 PM.
    12-02-13 09:13 PM
    You forgot the part where you have to steal and install a leaked operating system. That's a pretty important step don't you think?
    So just wait till official 10.2.1. What's the big deal?

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 09:15 PM
    Can u please add me on bbm I got a question for u, pin:2AF32A23

BB702
    Just added you bro!

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 09:31 PM
    A 13 min delay in delivery is not acceptable... Which "Droid" phone was this? All my emails on both accounts are instant.
    12-02-13 09:32 PM
    Well, having used both, I can state a few facts:

1) Personally, I greatly prefer BB10. This may not be true for everyone, but I believe it would be true for most if only they knew.
    2) Android is a very capable OS. It can do almost everything BB10 can do, and even a few things BB10 can't. Those things are mainly gimmicks though. I hated that stupid eye scrolling thing. Creepy.
    3) (This admittedly gets into opinion, but...) Android doesn't do the core things -- calls, messaging, calendar, networking, file management -- as well. It just doesn't, and it's pretty bad at multitasking. What I mean is, it takes longer to get from one active process to the next, and if you push it, it does lag up, crash, and freeze, even on top-notch hardware. In my experience, Android on a high end device is pretty solid for a few weeks, but as you install more stuff and demand more of it, it becomes unstable. I have not experienced any instability in BB10. Granted, it's only been a month so we'll see. I guess to be fair the jury is still out but so far BB10 wins by a mile in terms of smoothness and stability.
    4) Android is more customizable in some ways, less so in others, overall more so, but meh. I'm not a UX designer and prefer to have that stuff done for me. I can see the appeal for a certain kind of user, though.

That's just my experience, but it is based in fact.

Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by BobWalker; 12-02-13 at 09:52 PM.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    12-02-13 09:41 PM

1) Personally, I greatly prefer BB10. This may not be true for everyone, but I believe it would be true for most if only they knew.
    2) Android is a very capable OS. It can do almost everything BB10 can do, and even a few things BB10 can't. Those things are mainly gimmicks though. I hated that stupid eye scrolling thing. Creepy.
    3) (This admittedly gets into opinion, but...) Android doesn't do the core things -- calls, emails, calendar -- as well. It just doesn't, and it's pretty bad at multitasking. What I mean is, it takes longer to get from one active process to the next, and if you push it, it does lag up, crash, and freeze, even on top-notch hardware. In my experience, Android on a high end device is pretty solid for a few weeks, but as you install more stuff and demand more of it, it becomes unstable. I have not experienced any instability in BB10. Granted, it's only been a month so we'll see. I guess to be fair the jury is still out but so far BB10 wins by a mile in terms of smoothness and stability.
    4) Android is more customizable in some ways, less so in others, overall more so, but meh. I'm not a UX designer and prefer to have that stuff done for me. I can see the appeal for a certain kind of user, though.

Sorry for the long post.
    Well said

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 09:47 PM
    A 13 min delay in delivery is not acceptable... Which "Droid" phone was this? All my emails on both accounts are instant.
    Samsung S3 borrowed from a friend.
    I added account in device settings in the Email section, not Google account.
    No other settings were changed (similar applies to BB10).

I have an older Sammy GT-I9000 with CyanogenMod and it showed a delay too (and issues with characters).
    12-02-13 09:50 PM
    What I find a tad humorous is the grief you took for refusing to use illicit sources. The very thing that every smart Android user does by default (using only reputable sources) gets completely ignored and pretty much mocked.

Lot's of bad stuff out there. I wouldn't dream of downloading apks from some of these sources. Maybe its because I'm quaking with fear from all the random malware that all Android users have.

I don't see it ending well. Bad folks are watching. What did Thunderbuck call it? Unprotected sex with strangers? Toss in drugs, alcohol and a trailer park, and we got this situation down pat.
    This absolutely boggles my mind that people are recommending to do this. All you ever hear in here is blackberry for security, security security security. And now it's being recommended that we install apps from some unknown source and that's ok because it gives us apps that so many in here claimed we never needed in the first place. Still scratching my head over this and it blows mind that this is being touted as a great feature to use.
    12-02-13 09:54 PM
    Look I am. Not so good in terms etc but what I do with my q10 is I turn the music player on. Then I open my favorite app star tracker. In the mean time I download a movie from YouTube and Becouse I am driving I hear the voice of the navigation from the boxes of the car via bluetooth... an I read my messages and reply them with a touch.. and I am smoking a sigaret after I take a nip from my coffe
    That's what they mean with multitasking I guess.. can't do that with an I phone.. or android.. but!! There are so many annoying bugs.. sensor issues etc.. not complete..

Posted via CB10
    Again if you are doing any if that while you are driving you should be arrested.
    12-02-13 09:55 PM
    Moving on, productivity in terms of instant messaging with the apps that are currently available - this goes to BlackBerry 10 hands down. Show me another phone in which I can respond to my SMS while still in WhatsApp or my BBM while in SMS. I was shocked (in a good way) when I saw that third party apps could take advantage of the ability to reply through toast notifications or instant preview (not sure which one it is)
    Android has messaging apps that allow you to reply to text messages from anywhere in the system using popup boxs. WhatsApp has its own built in pop up preview that allows you to reply from anywhere.

If you want to push it even further, some custom ROMs have a setting called Halo that allows you to reply or navigate any notification you have by opening up another window onto top of what you are doing, again, from absolutely anywhere in the system.

Obviously the second one is a root feature which most are not going to do but the option is there. More choice is obviously better.
    Berry_Pink likes this.
    12-03-13 01:23 AM
    So just wait till official 10.2.1
    Exactly, so why try the hard sell on a feature that won't officially be available for months? And BBRY better hope the bugs are worked out and that Android apps work perfectly or this could backfire in a BIG way.
    12-03-13 07:00 AM
    It depends on what is included in 'better integration' meaning.
    We know that Google is an advertising provider, BB develops communication devices.

BB uses gmail to its full messaging potential - in my tests it properly shows international characters and receives gmail messages almost instantly (droids delay up to 13 minutes).
    At the same time, I see that android web browser displays more ads on a google search page; meaning BB not fully utilizes the ads stream.

So, if you think better integration is to support main google business model, then android integrates better.
    If you want gmail as a communication tool, then BB wins.
    Interesting to hear the results of your tests, thank you.

My comment was a simple one to a previous comment (which I might have misread), to do with the differing speeds at which some phones receive the same email. I don't know how BRRY use Google.

I was testing both phones (Z10 & WP8) together to receive an email sent to a non-Gmail account. The BRRY was almost instant. The message was sent from a Nexus 5 on a Gmail account, so that might explain it?

I still notice though that the WP8 phone will receive emails later (sometimes minutes later) than the desk top shows it in my Inbox (MS account)...
    12-03-13 07:35 AM
    I don't buy image.

I buy dependability, ecosystem, build quality, support, met expectations of upgrades, met expectations of enhancements, lack of negative unexpected surprises.

And apps built for the platform, supported by devs who submitted their apps to that platform.

In the case of BlackBerry I buy SECURITY OF MY DATA above everything else. And I will not compromise that.

You see, I'm of an age and of a mindset that I don't let image rule my decisions. Nor my cadre of anti fans.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    As much as I respect your post and your opinion I am quite sure that both of us would agree with the fact that most people do buy image and brand name. Furthermore, as much as you may disagree, brand name and image just consciously or subconsciously affect your decisions, even if not in smartphones or other devices. This primarily applies to departments that you are not very familiar with, for example, clothes.

However, I would like to also say that I too opt for the actual quality of the product as opposed to any name or gimmicks that may be thrown at me. However, your statement about "age and mindset" ruling decisions is partially false as I have seen older folk fall for image, such as my Dad who only bought a BlackBerry because it was cheaper up front: He often says "everyone owns Samsungs and other Androids" and that he should therefore pick one up too. He also comments on how amazing they are, having never used one. I am only 16 and I prefer to make my own judgements.

Anyway I'm not trying to really disagree with you or anything all I really want to do is point out a few things and wanted to emphasise the fact that MOST people don't even think about what they're going to use the phone for. They don't think about which one can multitask better. They don't care about the security of BlackBerry. They don't care about the simplicity of iOS. They don't care about the customisation that Android has to offer. They just buy it because of image, trends and the marketing of new (gimmicky) "features" that most would never use. Prime example: Record footage underwater with the Xperia Z1. (As shown in their advert)

Thank you for taking the time out to read this post.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 08:50 AM
    As much as I respect your post and your opinion I am quite sure that both of us would agree with the fact that most people do buy image and brand name.
    To an extent, sure. Example, I buy Honda cars because they have proven to be indestructible for my use. I buy Nikon because I already have the body and already have several lenses. I buy Land's End because the quality and the sizing works for me. I buy Nutella because I like the taste. I buy Post Wheat Squares because my ma loves them and she turned me on to them. In other words, I buy brands I have tried and I like.

Furthermore, as much as you may disagree, brand name and image just consciously or subconsciously affect your decisions, even if not in smartphones or other devices.
    I started out buying Nokia, then Motorola, then Nokia, then Motorola, then Audiovox, then Siemens, then HTC, then BlackBerry, then iPhone, then Motorola, then Samsung. So....no, I buy what turns my head. If I like it I buy it again....example: the Playbook....I didn't like it so I returned it and got the iPad. So....I buy what interests me. I sometimes buy Eddie Bauer boots then I buy Land's End then I buy LL Bean. Whatever turns my head and once I find something that works for me I continue to use it until something else appeals to me.

This primarily applies to departments that you are not very familiar with, for example, clothes.
    I am a rare animal. I'm a woman who's into utilitarian clothes for running around in the back country. I wear classic styles mainly in shades of black, white, and gray. I like men's style clothes. No ruffles, no frills, no girly girl stuff....I'm as nonsense in my style of clothes as I am in my communication style. Some might call me masculine. So again, I like *my* style, and I cannot remember the last time I ever bought Vogue magazine. So....no.

However, I would like to also say that I too opt for the actual quality of the product as opposed to any name or gimmicks that may be thrown at me. However, your statement about "age and mindset" ruling decisions is partially false as I have seen older folk fall for image, such as my Dad who only bought a BlackBerry because it was cheaper up front: He often says "everyone owns Samsungs and other Androids" and that he should therefore pick one up too. He also comments on how amazing they are, having never used one. I am only 16 and I prefer to make my own judgements.
    OK, so you're young and therefore I'll tone down a bit.

Let me explain why I use the iPhone. Back when I had my BlackBerry 8310 I HATED the browser. It was horrible. So I bought the iPhone 3GS. Had nothing to do with style or fashion or what was cool it had to do with the fact that I hated the browser on the 8310 and I tried the browser on the 3GS and it was like another world. Also, I do a lot of dog training. There is a forum app that is available exclusively to the iPhone, so I use that app to communicate and to track training for my dogs. In addition, I am active in church and the choir. My church has an app to track our activities, our rehearsals, our music, etc. Again, the iPhone has something I need and I use it because of that.

Now let's talk about Android. I HATED Android with the hatred of a million burning suns. Android users in this forum might remember me fighting with them tooth and nail about how horrible Android was. Then one day on a whim I went out and got the Motorola Atrix. And my thinking did a 180. Then I got my first Samsung and I was absolutely hooked. I loved being able to turn my phone into *my* phone, exactly as I wanted and exactly as I liked.

So....again, no image. Rather curiosity and need. Image played absolutely no bearing into it.

Anyway I'm not trying to really disagree with you or anything all I really want to do is point out a few things and wanted to emphasise the fact that MOST people don't even think about what they're going to use the phone for. They don't think about which one can multitask better. They don't care about the security of BlackBerry. They don't care about the simplicity of iOS. They don't care about the customisation that Android has to offer. They just buy it because of image, trends and the marketing of new (gimmicky) "features" that most would never use. Prime example: Record footage underwater with the Xperia Z1. (As shown in their advert)

Thank you for taking the time out to read this post.

Posted via CB10
    What I have learned in my life is to not presume to know why anyone does anything. I also stay away from generalisations. I only give my reasons. Multitasking has never been a consideration except to really dislike the 8 app limit on BB10. I am around tech enough to know that different programs have different approaches and I don't have an aneurysm if there are differences.

As far as "gimicky" features, who is anyone to decide whether a feature is gimicky or not? Example: I might have a pool in my house. I might go river rafting a lot. I might engage in outdoor activities that include animals. I might have children in the house who might spill drinks. I might have dropped my phone down the toilet one too many times. I might like to take the phone in the bubble bath with me. I might live in Florida and might go to the beach eleven months out of the year. Just because some might not find a need for a feature does not make the feature a gimmick.

Enjoy your device and do with it as you feel is right. But also allow others full enjoyment of their devices without resorting to calling those devices gimmicks or assuming that they buy them for image. That is judging. And none of us has the right to judge how someone else uses a device he/she bought with his/her money.

I have reasons for each device I buy, even if the reason is as frivolous as I just decided I wanted to try it. But I can guarantee you that I don't buy a device because my BFF has that device.
    12-03-13 10:52 AM
    Again if you are doing any if that while you are driving you should be arrested.
    Gee... I wonder if he was kidding...
    :>)
    12-03-13 11:38 AM
    To an extent, sure. Example, I buy Honda cars because they have proven to be indestructible for my use. I buy Nikon because I already have the body and already have several lenses. I buy Land's End because the quality and the sizing works for me. I buy Nutella because I like the taste. I buy Post Wheat Squares because my ma loves them and she turned me on to them. In other words, I buy brands I have tried and I like.

I started out buying Nokia, then Motorola, then Nokia, then Motorola, then Audiovox, then Siemens, then HTC, then BlackBerry, then iPhone, then Motorola, then Samsung. So....no, I buy what turns my head. If I like it I buy it again....example: the Playbook....I didn't like it so I returned it and got the iPad. So....I buy what interests me. I sometimes buy Eddie Bauer boots then I buy Land's End then I buy LL Bean. Whatever turns my head and once I find something that works for me I continue to use it until something else appeals to me.

I am a rare animal. I'm a woman who's into utilitarian clothes for running around in the back country. I wear classic styles mainly in shades of black, white, and gray. I like men's style clothes. No ruffles, no frills, no girly girl stuff....I'm as nonsense in my style of clothes as I am in my communication style. Some might call me masculine. So again, I like *my* style, and I cannot remember the last time I ever bought Vogue magazine. So....no.

OK, so you're young and therefore I'll tone down a bit.

Let me explain why I use the iPhone. Back when I had my BlackBerry 8310 I HATED the browser. It was horrible. So I bought the iPhone 3GS. Had nothing to do with style or fashion or what was cool it had to do with the fact that I hated the browser on the 8310 and I tried the browser on the 3GS and it was like another world. Also, I do a lot of dog training. There is a forum app that is available exclusively to the iPhone, so I use that app to communicate and to track training for my dogs. In addition, I am active in church and the choir. My church has an app to track our activities, our rehearsals, our music, etc. Again, the iPhone has something I need and I use it because of that.

Now let's talk about Android. I HATED Android with the hatred of a million burning suns. Android users in this forum might remember me fighting with them tooth and nail about how horrible Android was. Then one day on a whim I went out and got the Motorola Atrix. And my thinking did a 180. Then I got my first Samsung and I was absolutely hooked. I loved being able to turn my phone into *my* phone, exactly as I wanted and exactly as I liked.

So....again, no image. Rather curiosity and need. Image played absolutely no bearing into it.

What I have learned in my life is to not presume to know why anyone does anything. I also stay away from generalisations. I only give my reasons. Multitasking has never been a consideration except to really dislike the 8 app limit on BB10. I am around tech enough to know that different programs have different approaches and I don't have an aneurysm if there are differences.

As far as "gimicky" features, who is anyone to decide whether a feature is gimicky or not? Example: I might have a pool in my house. I might go river rafting a lot. I might engage in outdoor activities that include animals. I might have children in the house who might spill drinks. I might have dropped my phone down the toilet one too many times. I might like to take the phone in the bubble bath with me. I might live in Florida and might go to the beach eleven months out of the year. Just because some might not find a need for a feature does not make the feature a gimmick.

Enjoy your device and do with it as you feel is right. But also allow others full enjoyment of their devices without resorting to calling those devices gimmicks or assuming that they buy them for image. That is judging. And none of us has the right to judge how someone else uses a device he/she bought with his/her money.

I have reasons for each device I buy, even if the reason is as frivolous as I just decided I wanted to try it. But I can guarantee you that I don't buy a device because my BFF has that device.
    I see you missed out on when I was trying to say that most people buy devices without actually doing their thorough homework. I was not referring to you, and as I can see, you look into stuff before making decisions and I admire the fact that you do so, as well as I admire the fact that you reply in a calm and respectful manner, therefore respect to you

Now, as for the generalisation bit... I would ASSUME it's safe to say that certain features ARE indeed gimmicky. A lot of people I know would never use a phone again if it dropped down the toilet. Swimming pool point, yes, that makes sense. Maybe my example was not so obvious. It is useful to have a water proof phone but I do not believe that should be the main/only selling point. As for what you about deciding what a gimmicky feature is, with reference to the water proof feature, point taken, yes, I was wrong in that case. Getting back to my previous point, some features can safely be classified as gimmicks like scrolling with your eyes. Anyone who can open up a Web page by clicking on icons can use their finger to scroll, and while I have not personally tested the feature I ASSUME it would not be flawless due to viewing angles and just looking away and stuff. I should have a look into that.

Anyway thanks for a great argument.

Lastly, to that guy talking about Android's features of having little boxes with chats to reply from anywhere. That doesn't apply to new notifications to people that you weren't speaking to, right? It also might be more convenient to just reply as they come along especially if chatting with several people. I also love the way it can be integrated with 3rd party messaging apps although I want to see BBM replacing all of them Currently WhatsApp is better on iOS in my opinion. Not gonna go into that, but yeah.

One last thing: Everyone judges. We use our JUDGEment every day so you can't really tell someone to "not judge". You could tell that my judgement does not have substantial information or that my argument could be proved wrong but asking someone to not judge is overused and goes contradicts what the person who is asking is doing in the first place, making a judgement about the other person's statement :P

Btw, loving this convo. Mad respect.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 05:24 PM
    Two different phones, two different OS. I think BB does communication better than any other OS.
    12-03-13 08:50 PM

3) (This admittedly gets into opinion, but...) Android doesn't do the core things -- calls, messaging, calendar, networking, file management -- as well. It just doesn't, and it's pretty bad at multitasking. What I mean is, it takes longer to get from one active process to the next, and if you push it, it does lag up, crash, and freeze, even on top-notch hardware. In my experience, Android on a high end device is pretty solid for a few weeks, but as you install more stuff and demand more of it, it becomes unstable. I have not experienced any instability in BB10. Granted, it's only been a month so we'll see. I guess to be fair the jury is still out but so far BB10 wins by a mile in terms of smoothness and stability.

Sorry for the long post.
    Nothing you wrote is factual.
    bp3dots likes this.
    12-03-13 08:59 PM

Posted via Z10 featuring Channel C0031BD24 (UTB Subscribed)
    12-03-13 11:28 PM

Posted via Z10 featuring Channel C0031BD24 (UTB Subscribed)
    Everything you wrote is true.
    12-03-13 11:54 PM
    Everything you wrote is true.
    But sadly everything you wrote was false...

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and Berry_Pink like this.
    12-04-13 01:01 AM
    Gee... I wonder if he was kidding...
    unfortunately it is very common to see people juggling several activities while driving....even at the risk of a ticket or find

12-04-13 01:09 AM
    That's a little bit of an exaggeration. I mean he did have some facts in there

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 01:24 AM
436 ... 15161718