Android runtime - same game apple tried as far back as the late 90's when MS was kicking thier ***.
    If you have to have an emulator - How well does it work? Is it processor and memory intensive?
    I imagine it is - and would then make your experience with android apps dismal in some cases...
    why have that phone at all?
    12-02-13 10:52 AM
    Android runtime - same game apple tried as far back as the late 90's when MS was kicking thier ***.
    If you have to have an emulator - How well does it work? Is it processor and memory intensive?
    I imagine it is - and would then make your experience with android apps dismal in some cases...
    why have that phone at all?
    Android apps run on a VM... its the same thing on BlackBerry 10 with missing apis and hardware acceleration. if you noticed Google isn't pleased with app performance on android so they are rewriting the VM and it's called ART

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-02-13 10:57 AM
    I suppose it depends on what you define as malware. The way I see it anything that requires permissions beyond what is clearly needed for the function of the app would be malware as it is sending your data to their mothership.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 Vs Android: The Facts-screenshot_2013-12-02-17-59-13.png

That must mean BBM is malware?

All apps request data, just depends what data it needs or what it's using it for. Does BBM really need my location or to read and modify my contacts (esp when it doesn't actually use contacts to add new people)?

There was two other options below that, record voice using microphone and post notification.
    12-02-13 12:05 PM
    I tried your instructions and it says "unable to open the file"
    You need to be on 10.2.1

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 12:26 PM
    Lol that's why I said many pages back that the swipe gestures in BB10 are NOT revolutionary. U can argue evolutionary but people need to be aware that BlackBerry was DEFINITELY not the first company to do this. They just improved on it but I personally still think the PlayBook has a edge when it comes to multitasking

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 12:29 PM
    Lol that's why I said many pages back that the swipe gestures in BB10 are NOT revolutionary. U can argue evolutionary but people need to be aware that BlackBerry was DEFINITELY not the first company to do this. They just improved on it but I personally still think the PlayBook has a edge when it comes to multitasking

Posted via CB10
    Everything is iteration based on previous iterations in software... of course it's been done before.. but this is done better.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1803
    12-02-13 12:34 PM
    Hey I agree with u Dave lol but that's why I say evolutionary. I'm not gonna say I think it's the best way to multi task/navigate because that's just opinion, but I do believe thato BlackBerry took it to another level and I can say I love using the gestures in BB10

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 12:41 PM
    I'm going to stand corrected on the 95% statement. It was a shot from the hip remark, hyperbole if you will. Basically my point was that so many of the apps monetize the consumers personal information without them being aware of how it is being done or worse.

As far as the Native apps being superior they just are. The hub is a far superior form of communication. If you can't see that you haven't used it. BlackBerry remember is far superior to any notes or memos app that comes on board IOS and android. Even the phone app is better because you can take notes while on a call, also in email you can flag to remember or calendar. It integrates with outlook better and more seamlessly than any other os. You can pull data from the device and the cloud as if they were all connected and in one place without hunting and pecking through a series of apps.

I will be honest that I am no IOS or android expert but everyone I have shown these features to IOS or android users they were very clear that these are things they cannot do, or are too cumbersome to do on their phone.
    The things you are talking about are OS features and not native apps. A native app is an app from App World designed specifically for blackberry as opposed to using an Android app. I'm not disputing the great features that you mentioned but none of the native apps for Blackberry are superior to their counterparts on iOS or Android.
    Rello likes this.
    12-02-13 12:44 PM
    You forgot the part where you have to steal and install a leaked operating system. That's a pretty important step don't you think?

Much easier than downloading a program on a pc. Blackberry is claiming after all bb10 is a mobile computer

NO MORE SIDE LOADING!!!!!

Step 1) Google app store

Attachment 225729

Step 2) select app store and click install

Attachment 225731

Step 3) save and open file

Attachment 225732

Step 4)install and open app

Attachment 225733

Very simple execution that even a novice would have no difficulty obtaining a 3rd party app store.

I felt I would show just how easily it is to execute a simple function on bb10. Very easy and effortless

Just pointing out how simple it is to those that don't own a bb10 device and are commenting on the hassle. It really is this easy.

Hope it helps those new to installing app stores

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 225735
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-02-13 12:53 PM
    The things you are talking about are OS features and not native apps. A native app is an app from App World designed specifically for blackberry as opposed to using an Android app. I'm not disputing the great features that you mentioned but none of the native apps for Blackberry are superior to their counterparts on iOS or Android.
    I agree with this. I thought he was talking about BB10 apps compared to IOS and android ones.

BlackBerry does make some great first party apps and I'm hoping that will continue but the quality of third party apps when compared to IOS and android is a different story

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    12-02-13 01:01 PM
    You forgot the part where you have to steal and install a leaked operating system. That's a pretty important step don't you think?
    Yup.

I hate the continuing insistence in how easy it is, ignoring the fact that some may not care about the ease of it and choose not to do it for other reasons.

Like.....choosing not to go to risky third party stores.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-02-13 01:53 PM
    Yup.

I hate the continuing insistence in how easy it is, ignoring the fact that some may not care about the ease of it and choose not to do it for other reasons.

Like.....choosing not to go to risky third party stores.

What I find a tad humorous is the grief you took for refusing to use illicit sources. The very thing that every smart Android user does by default (using only reputable sources) gets completely ignored and pretty much mocked.

Lot's of bad stuff out there. I wouldn't dream of downloading apks from some of these sources. Maybe its because I'm quaking with fear from all the random malware that all Android users have.

I don't see it ending well. Bad folks are watching. What did Thunderbuck call it? Unprotected sex with strangers? Toss in drugs, alcohol and a trailer park, and we got this situation down pat.
    TgeekB and BlackBerry Guy like this.
    12-02-13 02:03 PM
    What I find a tad humorous is the grief you took for refusing to use illicit sources. The very thing that every smart Android user does by default (using only reputable sources) gets completely ignored and pretty much mocked.

Lot's of bad stuff out there. I wouldn't dream of downloading apks from some of these sources. Maybe its because I'm quaking with fear from all the random malware that all Android users have.

I don't see it ending well. Bad folks are watching. What did Thunderbuck call it? Unprotected sex with strangers? Toss in drugs, alcohol and a trailer park, and we got this situation down pat.

I KNOW!!!! It's a risk I'm just not willing to take.

Wait....wait....BlackBerry is a tool not a toy for getting things done for professionals. Part of being a professional is being responsible and weighing all possible consequences for all actions. The integrity of data goes along with professionalism.

But....I'm tar and feathered for refusing to take steps that I feel are risky to the integrity of my most secure device that protects my most sensitive data???? Contacts, pictures, banking information????? For what????? FOR A GAME?????? For Instagram which is an app that only teenage girls use to take duck face selfies and pictures of their food????? For THAT I'm supposed to either risk the integrity of my device or stop complaining that there are no banking apps????

Yah.....I am staying away from funny brownies and risky practices.....I've got a tool not a toy, right? Why risk its integrity?

Oh and WAIT!!!! FOR ANDROID APPS FROM A THIRD PARTY SITE!!!! so you've got "the most malware infested platform" and use APK grabbers with who knows what source packaging and THAT'S OK?!?!?!!

jesusmaryandjoseph
    12-02-13 02:29 PM
    As someone who has been using Android for the first time for the last month (purchased the nexus 5) I find the OS capable but not flowing like BB10. I do like the hardware esp the screen size and clarity, but I don't find it as comfortable to use as my Z10. I actually wish I could have BB10 on this device, I really miss all the swipe navigation, especially the waking of the device.
    Camera is better on the Z10 (MUCH faster), integration with my bluetooth BB peripherals is better with the Z10.

I'm primarily a Business user. I use Twitter, and the odd game for entertainment; which I can More than find in BBWorld.

I can see a Z30 in my future.....
    12-02-13 02:31 PM
    I see lots people posting about commercial status, company profits, tech specs, etc... I know for a fact that be it Android or bb, it's a matter of preference!!?

Posted with my BBZ10 Superphone via CB10 app
    12-02-13 02:51 PM
    I see lots people posting about commercial status, company profits, tech specs, etc... I know for a fact that be it Android or bb, it's a matter of preference!!?

Posted with my BBZ10 Superphone via CB10 app
    ...and each person is an individual and will choose according to his/her preferences.....

That simple.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    12-02-13 02:55 PM
    Okay so as everyone's already stated, Android has many (many) more apps than BlackBerry 10 has to offer. A small percentage of the BlackBerry 10 user base knows how to install leaks, out of which not everyone is on 10.2.1.

Let's leave that aside for now. I do believe that the UI of built for BlackBerry apps is "better" than that of Android. Subjective statement you say? Well let's make it factual. Bfb apps allow you to swipe down from the top of the screen to reveal this kind of menu which gives immediate access to help and settings, if available. This shows consistency in the interface. Such a feature is not available on Android. Such consistency is only seen by the use of Cascades in BlackBerry 10, therefore I believe it is, to an extent, factual. Some people may not prefer the consistency.

Moving on, productivity in terms of instant messaging with the apps that are currently available - this goes to BlackBerry 10 hands down. Show me another phone in which I can respond to my SMS while still in WhatsApp or my BBM while in SMS. I was shocked (in a good way) when I saw that third party apps could take advantage of the ability to reply through toast notifications or instant preview (not sure which one it is) Active frames also contribute to the productivity of the OS, providing useful information to the user while he is not in the app. Again, this may be compared to widgets however, widgets work in a completely different way and are entirely different to active frames. Anyone who thinks they can be compared has not used Android and BlackBerry 10 properly.

Notification Centre vs Hub. Hub.

Html5 and JavaScript - BlackBerry.

Micro HDMI vs... Oh wait never mind You don't have the ability to output video onto a TV (with the exception of like Airplay by Apple which is only compatible with the $100 Apple TV)

I honestly don't get why people don't buy this phone when it beats the others by quite a bit. And it's not the apps, even though they really lack. It's just the image and people just don't wanna buy a "BlackBerry" anymore. I guess nothing can fix that I'd rather have the company live on downscaled with a small user base of true, informed fans than have everyone carry a BlackBerry 10 device without knowing sh*t about it. However, I don't get why people trash talk it when they know absolutely nothing about it.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    12-02-13 03:11 PM
    Okay so as everyone's already stated, Android has many (many) more apps than BlackBerry 10 has to offer. A small percentage of the BlackBerry 10 user base knows how to install leaks, out of which not everyone is on 10.2.1.

Let's leave that aside for now. I do believe that the UI of built for BlackBerry apps is "better" than that of Android. Subjective statement you say? Well let's make it factual. Bfb apps allow you to swipe down from the top of the screen to reveal this kind of menu which gives immediate access to help and settings, if available. This shows consistency in the interface. Such a feature is not available on Android. Such consistency is only seen by the use of Cascades in BlackBerry 10, therefore I believe it is, to an extent, factual. Some people may not prefer the consistency.

Moving on, productivity in terms of instant messaging with the apps that are currently available - this goes to BlackBerry 10 hands down. Show me another phone in which I can respond to my SMS while still in WhatsApp or my BBM while in SMS. I was shocked (in a good way) when I saw that third party apps could take advantage of the ability to reply through toast notifications or instant preview (not sure which one it is) Active frames also contribute to the productivity of the OS, providing useful information to the user while he is not in the app. Again, this may be compared to widgets however, widgets work in a completely different way and are entirely different to active frames. Anyone who thinks they can be compared has not used Android and BlackBerry 10 properly.

Micro HDMI vs... Oh wait never mind You don't have the ability to output video onto a TV (with the exception of like Airplay by Apple which is only compatible with the $100 Apple TV)

I honestly don't get why people don't buy this phone when it beats the others by quite a bit. And it's not the apps, even though they really lack. It's just the image and people just don't wanna buy a "BlackBerry" anymore. I guess nothing can fix that I'd rather have the company live on downscaled with a small user base of true, informed fans than have everyone carry a BlackBerry 10 device without knowing sh*t about it. However, I don't get why people trash talk it when they know absolutely nothing about it.

Posted via CB10
    I don't buy image.

I buy dependability, ecosystem, build quality, support, met expectations of upgrades, met expectations of enhancements, lack of negative unexpected surprises.

And apps built for the platform, supported by devs who submitted their apps to that platform.

In the case of BlackBerry I buy SECURITY OF MY DATA above everything else. And I will not compromise that.

You see, I'm of an age and of a mindset that I don't let image rule my decisions. Nor my cadre of anti fans.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    TgeekB and acovey like this.
    12-02-13 03:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    I still don't get why folks here think the HDMI port is a positive thing on BlackBerry. Have you ever noticed that none of the well known smartphone manufactures do that anymore? The only devices you see with a HDMI port are super, super cheap generic, no brand Android devices that were made in China and BlackBerry devices. Isn't that kinda odd? The Nabi 2 tablets I just bought for my kids has a HDMI port, it will never be used, but hey, its there because it seems like a requirement on any cheap Android device.

Do you really think manufactures like Samsung, Motorola, HTC and LG simply aren't able to put a HDMI port on their phones? Like it is something difficult to accomplish? Sure, those manufactures use top of the line hardware all the time in their phones, but they got cheap and left out the HDMI port?

Nah, that isn't it. See, most of the world realizes how redundant a dedicated HDMI port is. Why would I want a second port on my phone when the USB port that is already there can be used for outputting video to a TV? Technology has advanced to the point where there is no need for a second port.

I never used that stupid HDMI port on any of my BlackBerry 10 devices anyway, yet I mistakenly tried to plug the charger into it almost every single night. To each their own but in my opinion, the HDMI port is a bad thing. It is ghettorific to put a HDMI port on a mobile device these days because much better alternatives exist.
    12-02-13 05:25 PM
    I still don't get why folks here think the HDMI port is a positive thing on BlackBerry. Have you ever noticed that none of the well known smartphone manufactures do that anymore? The only devices you see with a HDMI port are super, super cheap generic, no brand Android devices that were made in China and BlackBerry devices. Isn't that kinda odd? The Nabi 2 tablets I just bought for my kids has a HDMI port, it will never be used, but hey, its there because it seems like a requirement on any cheap Android device.

Do you really think manufactures like Samsung, Motorola, HTC and LG simply aren't able to put a HDMI port on their phones? Like it is something difficult to accomplish? Sure, those manufactures use top of the line hardware all the time in their phones, but they got cheap and left out the HDMI port?

Nah, that isn't it. See, most of the world realizes how redundant a dedicated HDMI port is. Why would I want a second port on my phone when the USB port that is already there can be used for outputting video to a TV? Technology has advanced to the point where there is no need for a second port.

I never used that stupid HDMI port on any of my BlackBerry 10 devices anyway, yet I mistakenly tried to plug the charger into it almost every single night. To each their own but in my opinion, the HDMI port is a bad thing. It is ghettorific to put a HDMI port on a mobile device these days because much better alternatives exist.
    Interesting. Don't you think it is better to get HDMI quality for videos, versus something less?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    12-02-13 05:31 PM
    Interesting. Don't you think it is better to get HDMI quality for videos, versus something less?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    From everything I've ever heard, the quality from Slimport is just as good. Good enough that you won't be able to tell the difference. But I haven't tried it myself. I have no need to output video from my phone to a TV anyway. So why would I care about a difference in quality? Like I said, all the HDMI port ever did on BB10 devices was irritate me while plugging the phone in at night. I think I'd rather use Slimport and maybe have a slight loss in quality on the rare occurrence that I output video then deal with having two similarly sized ports in the same location.

We plug our phones in all the time. You'll never accidentally stick your charger cable into the wrong port if your phone has a Slimport.
    12-02-13 05:47 PM
    It falls back to the first rule of CrackBerry - "If BlackBerry ain't got it, we don't need it!"

The moment BlackBerry gets it - "this is the greatest thing evar!", "better Android than Android", "look at the launcher I'm running, isn't it cool?"

The same people who made the above comments used to say they didn't need apps. Lol
    Wow. Very similar to the 'there's nothing wrong with having a home button ' and 'not having a home button doesn't make Bb10 better'

Edited to add: and let's not forget 'we don't need an hdmi port '

Of course, because if android doesn't have it, it can't be any good right?

Pot meet kettle.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    12-02-13 05:51 PM
    I must disagree with you on this one. Having a HDMI port makes life so much easier. I can connect to my TV or Projector in seconds.

Posted via CB10
    12-02-13 06:40 PM
    Hey I agree with u Dave lol but that's why I say evolutionary. I'm not gonna say I think it's the best way to multi task/navigate because that's just opinion, but I do believe thato BlackBerry took it to another level and I can say I love using the gestures in BB10

Posted via CB10
    Perfectly said, especially admitting it is your opinion. Thank you for not stating it is the best for everyone.
    Rello likes this.
    12-02-13 07:48 PM
    Much easier than downloading a program on a pc. Blackberry is claiming after all bb10 is a mobile computer

NO MORE SIDE LOADING!!!!!

Step 1) Google app store

Attachment 225729

Step 2) select app store and click install

Attachment 225731

Step 3) save and open file

Attachment 225732

Step 4)install and open app

Attachment 225733

Very simple execution that even a novice would have no difficulty obtaining a 3rd party app store.

I felt I would show just how easily it is to execute a simple function on bb10. Very easy and effortless

Just pointing out how simple it is to those that don't own a bb10 device and are commenting on the hassle. It really is this easy.

Hope it helps those new to installing app stores

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 225735
    Can
    Last edited by mario jr; 12-04-13 at 03:55 PM.
    12-02-13 07:52 PM
436 ... 1415161718