Do most customers (USA?) buy phones outright? Maybe someone could educate me on this...I typically go with a contract or the pay-per-month model. Priv pricing is right in line with other top spec devices.

My other comment is, I think BlackBerry would like to own the niche for keyboard users who would like a normal, modern cell (for today's standard with apps). A full touch slab does not differentiate themselves. Can their full touch Android really out hustle SamSung? Whereas, an Android with a PKB is incredibly unique, if only a small percentage (I estimate less than 5%) would consider it.

Posted via CB10
    Probably less of a market share than Microsoft has now. The problem is in execution and in particular the battery and OS issues.
    The high price is a big issue as well.

As far as not making an all touch... Well without one in their line up by 2017, they should just quit making phones.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-07-16 02:29 AM
    Do most customers (USA?) buy phones outright? Maybe someone could educate me on this...I typically go with a contract or the pay-per-month model. Priv pricing is right in line with other top spec devices.

My other comment is, I think BlackBerry would like to own the niche for keyboard users who would like a normal, modern cell (for today's standard with apps). A full touch slab does not differentiate themselves. Can their full touch Android really out hustle SamSung? Whereas, an Android with a PKB is incredibly unique, if only a small percentage (I estimate less than 5%) would consider it.

Posted via CB10
    I thought the fact that it had "BlackBerry" written on it and it was more secure was what differentiated it. After all, it's called the Priv.
    02-07-16 07:59 AM
    That is a piece of software which can easily be developed and sold separately via Google Play to users of other Android devices.
    I agree, but it's not available yet.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-07-16 08:09 AM
    Currently, no other Android has the Blackberry Hub, which is at the center of the unique BlackBerry workflow. So, until the Blackberry Productivity Suite comes to Android, it's still differentiated.

I used a Priv for several hours, without the PKB, and the experience for multiple email accounts and messaging was not at all the same as with stock Android.

Posted via CB10
    The Priv Hub isn't the BlackBerry Hub. So no Android has the BlackBerry hub. Only a BB10 device has a Hub.
    02-07-16 09:01 AM
    Do most customers (USA?) buy phones outright? Maybe someone could educate me on this...I typically go with a contract or the pay-per-month model.
    I would guess that only around 20% of Americans buy their phones outright - and the vast majority of those are entry-level phones from pre-paid service providers. Likely only 1-2% buy flagship or near-flagship phones outright; the vast majority of flagship phones are bought on contract (or, now, on lease or financed) from a carrier.
    02-07-16 02:41 PM
    I would guess that only around 20% of Americans buy their phones outright - and the vast majority of those are entry-level phones from pre-paid service providers. Likely only 1-2% buy flagship or near-flagship phones outright; the vast majority of flagship phones are bought on contract (or, now, on lease or financed) from a carrier.
    Technically, most US consumers purchase their devices outright. It's just not readily apparent since the devices aren't actually subsidized as many are led to believe. They're actually just financed, with the monthly installments being buried in a fixed monthly payment plan. VZW, who holds a 44% marketshare in the US only recently made it transparent by now only selling phones at retail price. Granted the customer has the option to finance the purchase over 24 months, the total/retail cost of the device will now be a significant consideration to the customer. While the customer doesn't have to plunk down the purchase price up front and has the option to finance the purchase, they're still purchasing it outright.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-07-16 03:41 PM
    Of course that's the truth (something I've been explaining to people for years - people who actually believed that their $200 down-payment was "what they paid for their phone") - but when I say "outright", I meant "in full, up-front." That's not something most people in the US do.

Having said that, I'm very happy that John Legere of T-Mobile finally brought the transparency in real phone costs to the US, starting the trend that has finally been adopted by all the other carriers.
    02-08-16 01:07 AM
    Ahah people addressing Chen the decision to go Android.

Chen doesnt know a f..k about OSes (he called 'Google' the Android OS), that was Louks' idea and it was easy to convince Chen about cutting costs.

Chen says a thing and does another.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 05:35 AM
158 ... 567