RIM will need to make a little fun of itself in the marketing of the new devices. Blackberry's are viewed as corporate only messaging devices that your made to carry, not that you want to carry. So I think that a part of RIM's marketing of the phones needs to show that they will do everything that the old Blackberry's did, plus all of the games/apps/media/internet/etc that people buy iOS and Android for. Maybe have an "evil boss/CIO" at desk with fire behind maniacally saying that people can carry a Blackberry, or locked down iPhone or Android that you can't do anything on, then show a Blackberry 10 device doing things that locked down competition can't do, then end "BB10. Not your boss's Blackberry!" Just a piece of the marketing campaign as they will also have to go after not only there own image, but also after iOS and Android.

For Android show some nerdy looking person getting the latest Android device and then some other nerdy person coming up to that person saying they just released a new phone with another core and different skin. Then show a sharp GQ guy with a BB10 device laughing and doing everything the Android can do and more, plus even use Android apps.

For Apple, go along with the Samsung ads making fun of the hipsters and coffee shop workers waiting in lines, camping, etc, and the control that Apple has.

I want to see aggressive marketing when these phones get released, not the lame a$$ marketing that RIM always does. If I see something equivalently lame as a glowing bicycle, buyer for chef's, or some little known DJ for BB10 advertising I just might pull an Elvis on my TV . RIM don't make me pull an Elvis on my TV!

Feel free to add your own ideas to this list, lord knows that RIM needs any and all idea's that it can get because the marketing department sucks!
    02-26-12 02:42 PM
    Agreed, half the people who say BlackBerry is dead are still using BB OS 5. RIM's problem is that they built their devices too well and don't need to be upgraded on a yearly interval like Apple or Android phones, this means there are a lot of OS 5 and 6 devices in the wild painting what it means to be a BlackBerry.
    02-26-12 02:57 PM
    BlackBerry Balance could be huge for RIM and the companies that support BYOD. It needs to be advertised to the general public not just the corperate decision makers.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    02-26-12 06:26 PM
    Marketing isn't just advertising, it's building products that people want.
    02-26-12 06:55 PM
    Your idea reminds me of the campaign that Domino's Pizza did to revive their company. They were brutally honest about customer's perceptions of their product. Of course, they DID have an inedible product, but they made major changes and would seem to be doing better now.
    I'm not saying RIM put out a bad product (although it too is inedible) but that approach mixed with a healthy dose of self-directed humor might raise customer's awareness of what their new and improved phones can do.
    02-26-12 07:09 PM
    Agree with the OP. Biggest problem for RIM is how to show off everything a BlackBerry can do in a 30 sec add. A series of adds tying into each other might be the way. When you do that you have to pour money into it for the repeat (carpet booming) campaign.
    02-26-12 10:10 PM
    Heres a new commercial I like

I personally like most of RIMs advertising the little that they seem to do, but it's never had a huge effect on my opinon of them.

I think they should use this song, especially starting at 39 seconds in,

And show stuff like multi-tasking, notifications, streaming video, playing games, listening to music, bridging to the PB, emailing, editing a document, opening apps, minimizing apps. All those things could be shown quickly in a montage of someone starting theird day, going to work, then meeting up with friends after work.
    02-27-12 12:24 AM
    For Android show some nerdy looking person getting the latest Android device and then some other nerdy person coming up to that person saying they just released a new phone with another core and different skin. Then show a sharp GQ guy with a BB10 device laughing and doing everything the Android can do and more, plus even use Android apps.

For Apple, go along with the Samsung ads making fun of the hipsters and coffee shop workers waiting in lines, camping, etc, and the control that Apple has.
    I think RIM should stick to not making fun of the users of these devices. These are their potential customers. Making fun of them might make these users give a bigger "f you" to RIM than they already are. Not too mention the media.

I think RIM should show what these devices can do, and show how it does it faster and more efficiently (BB10). Show how BB10 is up to date and competitive. Show the app support. Show the games. Show the power. Making fun of people usually doesn't make them like you.

Not to mention that stereotyping is completely ignorant. The vast majority of Android users are not nerds, and the majority of Apple users are most likely not hipsters. Samsungs commercial is funny, but the amount of people who line up for Apple events is probably less than 10% of their users. I don't know anyone who ditched their iPhone because of that commercial. It just provides a good laugh.
    Last edited by avt123; 02-27-12 at 12:39 AM.
    02-27-12 12:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD