I'd just like to point out one thing about the headphone jack on the BB10 devices, specifically for the full-touch 'London' device. I've been reading in a lot of the BB10 blog post's comments and it seems that people really want the headphone jack to be on the bottom because it's "more natural" to grab a phone out of a pocket and have it oriented in the proper way.

What I would like to point out is that BB10 will not have physical buttons like Android/iOS does. So what does it really matter what orientation the device is when you remove it from your pocket unless you're going to make a call?

When you remove the device from your pocket, regardless of orientation, it will auto-correct itself anyways and you wont need to turn it around just to use the button(s) properly
    09-22-12 01:09 AM
    What controversy? I think some people are just being picky. There's advantages and disadvantages for any spot you place the headphone jack.

On top, the cord is more out of the way when you're actually operating the phone and won't get in the way of your hands as much. On the bottom, it goes into your pocket more naturally. On the side, it's easier to pull out of your pocket and helps to prevent you from dropping the phone as well. Not to mention there's about an equal number of headphones with a straight or angled plug.

Quite frankly, if it's that big of a deal, there's always the option of using a wireless headset.
    09-22-12 01:56 AM
    I prefer the wire to come out the top. If you have it in your pocket you're not bending the wire and putting strain on the jack with it coming out the bottom.

But with the jack on the bottom it could make docking easier. Or harder depending on how the audio features through a dock will be implemented.

The phone is too big to keep comfortably in your pocket anyway.
    09-22-12 02:19 AM
    I'd just like to point out one thing about the headphone jack on the BB10 devices, specifically for the full-touch 'London' device. I've been reading in a lot of the BB10 blog post's comments and it seems that people really want the headphone jack to be on the bottom because it's "more natural" to grab a phone out of a pocket and have it oriented in the proper way.
    I would like to see all the plugs on the same side - to make way for some usable docking stations...

another solution is of course - if chargeport and hdmi is on the same side at least - so docking stations can tap audio from the hdmi port....

but I also believe that we will see more and more bluetooth enabled solutions to avoid all the wires...
    09-22-12 10:07 AM
    Bluetooth is too slow.
    09-22-12 10:24 AM
    Bluetooth is too slow.
    to slow for audio?

Bluetooth 4 - bases it's high speed on WiFi .. and should be more than sufficient for audio and perhaps also microphone input... - so we can stop using the Jac - and reduce device size even more
    09-22-12 10:27 AM
    I would like to see all the plugs on the same side - to make way for some usable docking stations...

another solution is of course - if chargeport and hdmi is on the same side at least - so docking stations can tap audio from the hdmi port...
    Awkward for lefties' or righties' one-handed use, depending on which side. Top and bottom are the best options. As for which is better � that's the "how do you install your toilet paper?" dilemma.
    09-22-12 10:32 AM
    I think for docking you should just go ahead and get the BB Music gateway...BT FTW! Haha
    09-22-12 10:33 AM
    Awkward for lefties' or righties' one-handed use, depending on which side. Top and bottom are the best options. As for which is better � that's the "how do you install your toilet paper?" dilemma.
    A tip around toilet paper - let the roll be loose - so you can hold it in either hands - or even change hands if one get tired... ha ha... put it on the shelf when done.

about phone... what difference does it make if you are lefty - and the plugs are on one side or the other? you just plug it in.. thats all.. - and since the screen will rotate - it does not really matter - does it? I also like phone devices in Portrait mode - and tablets in Landscape .. but - doesn't really matter much when it comes to docking...
    09-22-12 10:35 AM
    I think for docking you should just go ahead and get the BB Music gateway...BT FTW! Haha
    The new Music Gateway is great - I use it home and office - and it don't skip more beats than the plugged-in plug does... does not drain that much more battery either...
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    09-22-12 10:36 AM
    to slow for audio?

Bluetooth 4 - bases it's high speed on WiFi .. and should be more than sufficient for audio and perhaps also microphone input... - so we can stop using the Jac - and reduce device size even more
    I just hope BB10 utilizes apt-X, which allows for CD quality music streaming with a compatible bluetooth headset.
    09-22-12 12:53 PM
    i prefer the top... works better with a holster
    Jake Storm likes this.
    09-22-12 06:23 PM
    Pics of BB10 do show buttons for play/pause ffwd and reverse so it should have those. But really any cord it awkward.
    09-22-12 07:02 PM
    Top or Bottom as long as it does not interfere with the USB cord to charge the phone.

With the 9900 having to charge the phone while listening to music with headphones and texting is a pain and so I am so Against the jack being on the side.
    09-22-12 08:23 PM
    1st of all I would like to say I prefer the jack on the top, or even the side will do, the only place I don't like it is on the bottom.

That being said, I'm more interested on where this "controversy" came from. For years iPhones didn't have the jack on the bottom, and now that the iPhone 5 does there's suddenly a controversy on where the jack should be.
    09-22-12 10:11 PM
    the current layout of the buttons on the 9900 is PERFECT

Sent from da BOLD or maybe mi PlayBook
    09-22-12 10:19 PM
    I like it on the side where my Torch has it. I only use it in the car so it sits in the cupholder nicely and the wire sticks out the side. Perfect.
    09-22-12 10:57 PM
    Bluetooth is too slow.
    I disagree with this. I use Bluetooth for bridging to my PlayBook all the time and it's just fine. Also I use Bluetooth in my truck for audio and phone calls with no problem.

On a different note when I do use headphones I normally have the phone in it's holster so the jack on the bottom is inconvenient.

But I suppose if Apple says it's better on the bottom then it must be true.
    09-23-12 01:34 AM
    Bluetooth is too slow.
    High-speed Bluetooth will use 802.11g Wi-Fi to carry its signal and could offer ranges as far as 200 feet and transfer rates of 24MB/s

That's fast enouph for me....Maybe one day we will have Bluetooth 5.0 which uses 802.11n, but I doubt most people would notice a difference
    09-23-12 04:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD