This isn't new or news but I stumbled on a video which compares the bb10 keyboard and the swiftkey 3 keyboard. Haven't seen it on Crackberry. if i missed it I apologise. found it interesting, and in my perosonal opinion the bb10 one looks very promising.

also worth noting is that bb10 will have the swipe back to delete a whole word or sentence. it did take him a few seconds to clear out the samsung text field.

Last edited by Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes; 11-08-12 at 05:42 PM.
    DJM626, bobauckland and lactose like this.
    11-08-12 05:30 PM
    good video. both keybords are good, googles new keyboard in 4.2 is also very good and takes cues from both the bb10 implementation and also swiftkey. I think it will come down to what the user is used to. All three can perform fast and precise once you know how to use them. They all come with a certain learning curve also.
    11-08-12 05:39 PM
    I have about a 50,000 word essay I'm working on and writing about keyboards... I almost think I'll have to do a dedicated hour podcast on it. It's not as clear cut as a this vs. that.

Is it about saving strokes? Or is it about typing fast and with rhythm and letting autocorrection do it's thing? Is about using it while sitting it still? Or while walking or in bumpy environments? One handed use? Or Two?

People talk about which keyboard they like best, but people rarely break it down into what actually makes for an amazing typing experience.

Stay tuned... One of these days (soon) I will unleash the beast that is CrackBerry Kevin's Hierarchy of Smartphone Typing Needs (or something like that).
    11-08-12 06:08 PM
    wow that is some project lol....cant wait to see it
    11-08-12 06:22 PM
    Just a point of order the Samsung has SwiftKey X not SwiftKey 3. X is the "previous generation" updated by 3 last June. It doesn't really change what you see above though IMHO for my usage 3 is better than X but they way they used it above I don't think it would have changed anything.
    11-08-12 06:51 PM
    and 3 has the feature you can run your thumb from right to left across the keyboard to wipe away a word
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    11-08-12 06:59 PM
    and 3 has the feature you can run your thumb from right to left across the keyboard to wipe away a word
    Yes, a feature which in fact I find extremely irritating, as I am forever unintentionally wiping out words I have just typed. Maybe I am just clumsy, but if I could turn off that feature I would like Swiftkey 3 even more. And it is a great keyboard. The way it changes languages mid-sentence without user intervention is fantastic.
    01-25-13 03:26 AM
    Yes, a feature which in fact I find extremely irritating, as I am forever unintentionally wiping out words I have just typed. Maybe I am just clumsy, but if I could turn off that feature I would like Swiftkey 3 even more. And it is a great keyboard. The way it changes languages mid-sentence without user intervention is fantastic.
    Thank you for that mention.
    01-25-13 04:45 AM
    The main things and the most important features that BB10 keyboard has over standard SwiftKey are this:

1. The contextual suggested words are placed within the keyboard so you never look away from it to the suggested words

2. The contextual suggested words are placed on the next letter your thumb moves to so you never lose eye contact with your keys.

3. It offers up to 6(as far as I can see) suggested words.
    01-25-13 04:52 AM
    The main things and the most important features that BB10 keyboard has over standard SwiftKey are this:

1. The contextual suggested words are placed within the keyboard so you never look away from it to the suggested words

2. The contextual suggested words are placed on the next letter your thumb moves to so you never lose eye contact with your keys.

3. It offers up to 6(as far as I can see) suggested words.
    So points 1 and 2 are basically the same right?
    Thats an advantage or disadvantage, depending on how you look at it.
    Personally, I prefer rapid typing, which means my thumbs are all over the keyboard, so I can't clearly see the keys.
    I like seeing a sentence take shape above my thumbs. I especially like hammering three to four words out without a space and then having the spaces auto inserted for me, something I wish my laptop would do as well.
    I read about this being on BB10's virtual keyboard but haven't seen it in practice.
    From what I've seen I very much doubt people with heavy text entry needs will stray from the keyboarded version, I'lll probably be going for that one as well. If they integrated some of this into the keyboarded version, like you could type away a few words on the proper X10 keyboard even without spaces and a predicted group of 3 or 4 words with spaces appears on the touch screen, well, that would just be awesome.
    01-25-13 06:01 AM
    Ok 2 things.

1) On the video. As he was showing you with the android the predictions show up above the kb. The same happens with the playbook. I find that when trying to use that method it actually slows me down. I say that because if I don't see the word after the 1st letter I then press the next and look up and then the next and look up. I do this by habit and it actually slows me down. I can type a full sentence out faster and check it for typos before I get done with a sentence using the predictions. This is where I think bb10 has a good idea not making you take your hands off the keyboard.

2) To kevins point and post about the possible blog post. Personally just like I do with my 9900 I like to type super fast. Saving swipes doesn't matter to me that much. One handed is a must but I don't have to be crazy fast at it. I always throw both hands on the 9900 when I want to hammer away quickly at a paragraph or sentence. If bb10 nails the 1 handed semi fast and 2 handed real fast mark with me I will be happy.

Sent from my game boy color
    01-25-13 06:37 AM
    So points 1 and 2 are basically the same right?
    Thats an advantage or disadvantage, depending on how you look at it.
    Personally, I prefer rapid typing, which means my thumbs are all over the keyboard, so I can't clearly see the keys.
    I like seeing a sentence take shape above my thumbs. I especially like hammering three to four words out without a space and then having the spaces auto inserted for me, something I wish my laptop would do as well.
    I read about this being on BB10's virtual keyboard but haven't seen it in practice.
    From what I've seen I very much doubt people with heavy text entry needs will stray from the keyboarded version, I'lll probably be going for that one as well. If they integrated some of this into the keyboarded version, like you could type away a few words on the proper X10 keyboard even without spaces and a predicted group of 3 or 4 words with spaces appears on the touch screen, well, that would just be awesome.
    Yes, it does that too but I only tried it on 2 words, can't speak for 3-4, I never thought of trying. This happens over the spacebar.

No, point one and two are not the same lol although the could be incorporated into one.
    01-25-13 07:14 AM
    Yes, it does that too but I only tried it on 2 words, can't speak for 3-4, I never thought of trying. This happens over the spacebar.

No, point one and two are not the same lol although the could be incorporated into one.
    Thats pretty cool and probably the best option for fast typists on a touch screen.
    Does that mean only one option comes up over the spacebar though? For a potential combination of words?
    01-25-13 07:17 AM
    Thats pretty cool and probably the best option for fast typists on a touch screen.
    Does that mean only one option comes up over the spacebar though? For a potential combination of words?
    I didn't pay that much attention to that, sorry.
    01-25-13 07:22 AM
    01-25-13 08:04 AM
    Ok 2 things.

1) On the video. As he was showing you with the android the predictions show up above the kb. The same happens with the playbook. I find that when trying to use that method it actually slows me down. I say that because if I don't see the word after the 1st letter I then press the next and look up and then the next and look up. I do this by habit and it actually slows me down. I can type a full sentence out faster and check it for typos before I get done with a sentence using the predictions. This is where I think bb10 has a good idea not making you take your hands off the keyboard.

2) To kevins point and post about the possible blog post. Personally just like I do with my 9900 I like to type super fast. Saving swipes doesn't matter to me that much. One handed is a must but I don't have to be crazy fast at it. I always throw both hands on the 9900 when I want to hammer away quickly at a paragraph or sentence. If bb10 nails the 1 handed semi fast and 2 handed real fast mark with me I will be happy.

Sent from my game boy color
    If it is anything like Swiftkey, you'll be able to type one handed. I prefer using Swype one-handed, and am fairly fast at it, but do use SwiftKey 3 occasionally. In landscape, with two thumbs, it is phenomenal. RIM couldn't have picked a better base, IMHO.
    01-25-13 08:09 AM
    one thing i like about BB10 that Swift Key 3 doesn't have is:

when you type a word and press space it does autocorrect the word for both keyboards (if u have that option turned on).. but lets say it's a word not in the learned dictionary.. such as "hahahaha" that you were trying to type and it autocorrected it to "happy". and your like DANG autocorrect... and u backspace to manually change it to "hahahaha"

on swift key 3 when u backspace u gotta delete "happy" completely and retype "hahahaha" and then select it from the top 3 options.

one BB10 when u back space to delete "happy", the moment u delete the "y" the word changes back to the original word u were typing, in this case "hahahaha"

no selecting words, no manually retyping it, it just remembers what u were typing and changes it back automatically.

hope this makes sense ; > but it save strokes and allows for faster learning.
    PJD642, bobauckland and lactose like this.
    01-25-13 08:10 AM
    The spacebar feature is available with Swiftkey 3 as well..and it is quite useful. As someone who's very fast typer (60-80wpm) sometimes I miss the spacebar and hit "N" instead, and it's nice that the software recognizes this and will insert it for me (as long as I don't bungle the word too badly lol).
    01-25-13 08:12 AM
    Will the new B10 devices allow for third-party keyboards? I assume it will...
    01-25-13 08:14 AM

when you type a word and press space it does autocorrect the word for both keyboards (if u have that option turned on).. but lets say it's a word not in the learned dictionary.. such as "hahahaha" that you were trying to type and it autocorrected it to "happy". and your like DANG autocorrect... and u backspace to manually change it to "hahahaha"

on swift key 3 when u backspace u gotta delete "happy" completely and retype "hahahaha" and then select it from the top 3 options.

one BB10 when u back space to delete "happy", the moment u delete the "y" the word changes back to the original word u were typing, in this case "hahahaha"

no selecting words, no manually retyping it, it just remembers what u were typing and changes it back automatically.

Ya that is an annoyance when you have to re-do the whole word. I thought an older version of Swiftkey did that, but perhaps it was on one of the other keyboards I used for a while. Either way..looking forward to trying it out!
    01-25-13 08:16 AM
    Will the new B10 devices allow for third-party keyboards? I assume it will...
    Good question. I assumed it wouldn't, as I thought Swiftkey was baked right in..but perhaps i'm wrong. Although the amount of people who'd prefer something else is probably slim, as Swiftkey is the #1 keyboard for Android..
    01-25-13 08:17 AM

Old BBs do tha too
    01-25-13 08:19 AM
    The word prediction thing will be of more use, and add greater speed, to one-handed typing. Two thumb typing quite possibly will benefit very little from the word prediction thing, as many two thumb typers are really fast. It's when you're walking down the corridor with a coffee in the other hand that the BB10 keyboard will shine. I do that quite a lot with my 9900 and just wish typing on it was slightly easier.

However when 2 thumbs are available, though, the physical keyboard really does excell.
    01-25-13 08:20 AM
    Old BBs do tha too
    maybe i never noticed hahaha i always turned off prediction cause i had the physical qwerty on my old BB's
    i just hate it on my nexus 4!
    01-25-13 08:22 AM
    Good question. I assumed it wouldn't, as I thought Swiftkey was baked right in..but perhaps i'm wrong. Although the amount of people who'd prefer something else is probably slim, as Swiftkey is the #1 keyboard for Android..
    Still quite a few that use Swype, and I think the Swiftkey folks recognize that with Flow. Would be nice to see options for keyboard.
    01-25-13 08:22 AM
31 12