I think we have a winner here. Check out this link.

BlackBerry 10 is Poised to Take on Nintendo Wii U, XBox 720 and PlayStation 4 | The Gadget Masters

Lets go developers and the kids in all of us will follow.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-22-13 12:24 AM
    I personally think this is huge. Great potential for this. I would love to start seeing more multiplayer games on BB as well. BB has a real opportunity to take advantage of this especially coupled with scoreloop.

They do need to somehow get this to support a PS3 controller though. Hopefully that comes along soon...
    bdguru and Savior4Life like this.
    02-22-13 12:30 AM
    I smell a gaming phone coming out for the Holiday shopping season. The developers should have enough time to make some A++ games.
    02-22-13 12:41 AM
    I can't see it. It's another hugely competitive market and bb10 with it's userbase starting at 0 won't attract big time developers without huge monetary expenditures, which they cant afford right now. Nor does it fit in with the business angle they are trying to target- though there efforts seem so unfocused I don't think that excludes anything .

Actually the whole thing seems a bit odd to me... I agree physical controls are much preferable... Having said that, im not sure many people want to carry around gamepads just to play on their tiny phone! Even more... While phones certainly compete with and may have knocked out the portable consoles, it's hard to imagine them cutting into console sales. Pretty fanboyish fantasy speculation i think.
    02-22-13 12:44 AM
    HAHAHAHAHA. I am eager an excated to get my hands on BB10, but in no way is it possible for a phone, any phone to beat a console. I don't care how many copy's angry birds sells, cell phone games will never be better then console/pc games like Skyrim or shooters Like CoD of Battlefield.
    NdBlu14 and vegetto_456 like this.
    02-22-13 01:01 AM
    Its fun to watch the "Tools not toys" folks come over to the darkside....
    richardat and vegetto_456 like this.
    02-22-13 07:36 AM
    HAHAHAHAHA. I am eager an excated to get my hands on BB10, but in no way is it possible for a phone, any phone to beat a console. I don't care how many copy's angry birds sells, cell phone games will never be better then console/pc games like Skyrim or shooters Like CoD of Battlefield.
    Phones do have one advantage: ubiquitous portability. NBA2k13 won't feel as cool on a phone as it would on a "real" console, but portability (and relative cheapness) make handheld gaming attractive.

Its fun to watch the "Tools not toys" folks come over to the darkside....
    LOL.
    02-22-13 07:40 AM
    I agree with Rello. We need a controller. When BB10 is on the PlayBook we will really need an easy to use external controller.
    02-22-13 07:48 AM
    Don't get what all the excitement is about...

The game Shadowgun is running on the Z10 (below the TV). The player is playing the game using a gamepad, which is connected to the Z10 via Bluetooth.
    Android phones have allowed this for ages now, pairing a Bluetooth PS3 controller and playing GTA on their phones via hdmi.

Blackberry doesn't even have GTA lol if you search Blackberry World for it, it comes up with 1 result... a cheat sheet or something

So yeh, android has had this for a while and its not taken market share away from the consoles, as for this article, yes, in a way the BB10 is a gaming machine, but so are other phones.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-22-13 07:50 AM
    Talking about mobile in general, I'm very interested to see what happens to the next generation of dedicated consoles. Mobile devices get more and more powerful by the day and yet mobile apps are much cheaper.

I realized the other day that I play games on my PlayBook and iPod all the time ... yet almost never turn my consoles on anymore.

Will be interesting to see what Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony do. I'm sure there will always be some people that want consoles, but mobile devices are a disruptive force. I remember the first time I downloaded DEAD SPACE on the PlayBook and plugged the tablet into my TV. It obliterated the same DEAD SPACE EXTRACTION game I had on my Wii, and cost like six bucks.

No wonder the console markers are worried about Apple devices ...

Not sure if I'd go so far as to make it sound like BlackBerry is suddenly poised to obliterate Nintendo and Sony in this area, but the BlackBerry 10 devices and the Playbook stepped up gaming on BlackBerry about 50 notches compared to where it was before. And mobile devices in general have got to be terrifying to those guys.
    02-22-13 08:05 AM
    I agree with Rello. We need a controller. When BB10 is on the PlayBook we will really need an easy to use external controller.
    Yes this. The games look so nice on a big screen but it sucks to hold onto the PlayBook to control. Bluetooth would be great.
    02-22-13 08:10 AM
    Thanks, I needed a good laugh to lighten up my morning.
    02-22-13 08:13 AM
    I don't see the big deal. ShadowRun wasn't even any good.
    02-22-13 08:14 AM
    ShadowRun wasn't even any good.
    Well, you didn't like it.
    02-22-13 08:33 AM
    Bb10 definitely has the potential to join in on some great and exciting mobile gaming that's currently taking place, but for many reasons I have my doubts that it will even get close to leading that race.

Let's be absolutely honest here, as far as game developer support, ios and android lead that race by a substantial margin. For bb it's hard for them to get even normal developer support let alone decent game support. Almost not a single title I play or am interested in is available or in development for bb10 at all. That includes all the good console ports or great indie titles that have been flooding other platforms recently. Not even the most mainstream popular stuff has an eta from what I understand either.

Edit: Glad it has been announced that bb10 has some good game pad support. That is a must have In the mobile gaming space. Right now android definitely takes the cake in that department though.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/40...android-or-ios

I personally use a powera moga controller when playing some higher end titles and is really a great addition to have. Having controller support definitely lends itself well to being a great gaming platform. At this current time I would likely have to crown android the best mobile gaming platform simply because of the library of titles, open source ability for pretty much use any controller you want and fantastic selection of emulators. I would hope that if I do ever truly transition back to bb it would be on par gaming wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ynomrah; 02-22-13 at 08:48 AM.
    02-22-13 08:37 AM
    The Android powered Project Shield Project Shield Specs & Latest News | Nvidia | The Verge and the $99 OUYA console Ouya Specs & Latest News | Boxer8 | The Verge will be here in June. They are at least two years ahead of Blackberry in this space, assuming Blackberry even wants to compete in this space which is very unlikely.
    02-22-13 08:57 AM
    The Android powered Project Shield Project Shield Specs & Latest News | Nvidia | The Verge and the $99 OUYA console Ouya Specs & Latest News | Boxer8 | The Verge will be here in June. They are at least two years ahead of Blackberry in this space, assuming Blackberry even wants to compete in this space which is very unlikely.
    Having a mobile gaming experience would be better, IMO, on any mobile computing device.

I remember someone mentioned Blackberry teaming up with Nintendo as a strategic partnership a couple of months ago on these forums. Obviously a very farfetched idea but, not so much anymore. Its a stretch by any means but a true possibility from what I've seen in this video.
    02-22-13 09:30 AM
    This is exactly how I play Modern Combat on my iPhone/iPad with a DuoGamer controller streamed to my TV via airplay. It's a pretty good setup but hardly a console alternative.
    mikeo007 and jdhooghe like this.
    02-22-13 09:34 AM
    Having a mobile gaming experience would be better, IMO, on any mobile computing device.

I remember someone mentioned Blackberry teaming up with Nintendo as a strategic partnership a couple of months ago on these forums. Obviously a very farfetched idea but, not so much anymore. Its a stretch by any means but a true possibility from what I've seen in this video.
    what does that even mean? having mobile gaming on mobile computing device? what exactly is mobile computing? is that specific for bb10?
    02-22-13 10:01 AM
    This is exactly how I play Modern Combat on my iPhone/iPad with a DuoGamer controller streamed to my TV via airplay. It's a pretty good setup but hardly a console alternative.
    Out of curiosity, what doesn't it do for you that you'd look to do on a console? Not challenging - just asking. I find this subject interesting even if the original article does the whole "___ is poised to fight ____" thing. Guess it's not enough that BlackBerry now has a gaming platform that's orders of magnitude better than what they had before ... it's all gotta be about 'winning', 'defeating' and 'being better' for some.
    DragonFlyer and CrackedBarry like this.
    02-22-13 10:32 AM
    Garbage. It's a phone that can play games, not a gaming machine that makes phone calls. Let me know when your precious phone can compete with my PC in gaming. How do I define gaming? Outside of graphics, which no console or any other device can compete with a PC, I am looking for perfect precision in movement/targeting (which a keyboard/mouse combination hands down wins IMO), massive multiplayer maps, excellent sound, and pure speed.

Doesn't matter which platform it is (iOS, BB10, Android), the phones will never ever be a gaming machine. When a phone/tablet can run CryEngine 3 efficiently, then I'll be impressed.

But the more important question is..........can it run Crysis 3? lol
    02-22-13 10:33 AM
    But the more important question is..........can it run Crysis 3? lol
    OnLive for iOS will I assume. With their controller too I assume.
    02-22-13 10:38 AM
    Steam for iOS will I assume. With their controller too I assume.
    Not even close. It's just not possible at this time. Besides, it's an Origin game, not Steam.
    02-22-13 10:40 AM
    Not even close. It's just not possible at this time. Besides, it's an Origin game, not Steam.
    OnLive I meant. Cloud gaming I think.
    02-22-13 10:43 AM
    Garbage. It's a phone that can play games, not a gaming machine that makes phone calls. Let me know when your precious phone can compete with my PC in gaming. How do I define gaming? Outside of graphics, which no console or any other device can compete with a PC, I am looking for perfect precision in movement/targeting (which a keyboard/mouse combination hands down wins IMO), massive multiplayer maps, excellent sound, and pure speed.
    You would be defined as an extreme hardcore gamer, a subset of the market. And you're right - no console or phone will compete with an equipped PC to meet your specific needs.

Doesn't matter which platform it is (iOS, BB10, Android), the phones will never ever be a gaming machine.
    But not all people that play video games are like you specifically either. My friends wife has a Wii and an XBox 360 and two computers. She prefers to play games on her iPad. To her, it is a video game machine.

Love your avatar. Fracken NES games. I have more problems with them than any of the other consoles I own.
    02-22-13 10:53 AM
76 123 ...