I disagree. I have an Instagram account (im 26) that I never use and rarely check. Its pointless to me. If I wanna share a pic I would tweet it using TwitPic or post it to Facebook. Instagram just seems extra to me. 90% of Instagram pics get tweeted anyway, so I just see no point.
    JR A likes this.
    03-04-13 08:15 PM
    I guess pre-orders even started yet so still weeks away..May be they are launching without pre-orders..does anyone know ?
    03-05-13 12:12 AM
    US carriers don't typically do pre-orders (except for the occasional iPhone launch). You simply sign up for availability information, and receive an e-mail when the device is available.
    03-05-13 12:24 AM
    In regards to Instagram, the only one of the 5 that use Instagram is the 19 year old girl with the iPhone. But, she admitted that she doesn't even use half the stuff she downloaded on her phone and that she surfs the web more than anything else.

I wouldn't go as far to say Instagram is the equivalent of Facebook and Twitter.

Instagram touts 100 million monthly users, but are those active users or just people that signed up for accounts. And according to the Google Play, Instagram app only has 3.4 million downloads, and I would assume iOS downloads are what, 5-10 times more, if that? Compared to Facebook with 1 Billion active users every month? Yeah, I don't think it's the same...

Man.

People talk to you A LOT.
    Pretty much.
    Last edited by JR A; 03-05-13 at 02:03 PM.
    03-05-13 01:52 PM
    JR, just out of curiosity, did #1, 2, 5 and 6 (post#8) say where they heard about BB10? I'm especially interested in the marketing that got to #1.
    03-05-13 02:29 PM
    JR, just out of curiosity, did #1, 2, 5 and 6 (post#8) say where they heard about BB10? I'm especially interested in the marketing that got to #1.

I believe all of them looked them up online or somehow stumbled upon BB10 online (YouTube, tech blogs, **** maybe even that NY Times thing they did on their front webpage...), except for my friend that used to work for AT&T, which I would assume he got some inside information from his friends and old coworkers.

I'm just not sure how they initially heard of BB10, I guess I should've asked. When I see these people again (with the exception of the 5th guy I talked to in Best Buy), I'll ask them. I see them at least on a once-a-week basis.
    raino likes this.
    03-05-13 02:31 PM
    It seems to me that the tech press is freaking out. They imagine themselves as kingmakers, and their predictions that RIM would go under in 2012 didn't pan out. Now that Z10 is selling well, they have to come up with some argument as to why BB cannot succeed with BB10... hence the "Instagram and Netflix are essential apps" argument. They made the same Instagram argument about WP8 as well, as though picture-sharing is some amazing proprietary thing that cannot be done with a dozen other apps (including Facebook itself).

Most ironically, the same people who wheedle that Netflix is essential will tell you that Microsoft Office is "easily replaced" by some half-assed Office knock-off. So funny!
    shemaree09 and JR A like this.
    03-05-13 03:35 PM
    I believe all of them looked them up online or somehow stumbled upon BB10 online (YouTube, tech blogs, **** maybe even that NY Times thing they did on their front webpage...), except for my friend that used to work for AT&T, which I would assume he got some inside information from his friends and old coworkers.

I'm just not sure how they initially heard of BB10, I guess I should've asked. When I see these people again (with the exception of the 5th guy I talked to in Best Buy), I'll ask them. I see them at least on a once-a-week basis.
    Thanks. Whatever got to them must have been positive (or good enough to counter the negative press), and, more importantly, relatively mainstream. So something IS working, and RIM needs to capitalize on it when the Z10 hits the carriers.
    JR A likes this.
    03-05-13 03:41 PM
    If your product is amazing, the word gets out. Some journalist or news outlet somewhere, plus thousands of delighted users, talk it up.
    JR A likes this.
    03-05-13 03:43 PM
    My sister in law has the Iphone 5 and can't text worth a damn on the screen. I told her "you couldn't wait a few more months for the Z10?" She said "no"...well anyway, maybe I will be able to actually convert her when I show off mine when it hits here end of the month.

Even word of mouth has come to the attention of my older half brother who asked me if I bought the new BlackBerry yet? lol.
    JR A likes this.
    03-05-13 04:37 PM
    Honestly, although there is a little bit of traction right now, i still think there needs to be an announcement in the next few days in order to really do well. Too many other phones are launching in the next couple of months for blackberry to have a legitimate chance unless they get it out now that the phones ARE coming.
    JR A likes this.
    03-05-13 04:47 PM
    While in the Verizon store i was talking to a few sales reps and the manager. The manager and i were mainly talking about the z10 and one of the Salesman said he was expecting a flop. The manager did seem excited and defended BlackBerry and stated they are coming back!

Go BlackBerry 10! Cant wait for the Z10

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    BlackBerry By Choice!
    JR A likes this.
    03-05-13 04:54 PM
    Nice to see a salesman who's only job is to make sales for his company feel a phone he hasn't even tried yet is going to be a flop.. It's those kinds of sales people that you don't need in a store.
    Prince_Poppycock and JR A like this.
    03-05-13 06:19 PM
    From what I've observed, the mainstream crowd hasn't actually gotten much of the negativity that us die-hards have gotten. It's not like these people, with the exception of my friend who used to work for AT&T, keep up with smartphone news and read tech blogs on a daily basis (or even weekly or monthly basis for that matter), so in what I've gathered is that in THEIR eyes, BlackBerry isn't "dead", they just haven't done much latey. And now they're excited that something new is coming along that isn't the status-quo.
    03-06-13 12:46 PM
    I know. Its almost sad. IMO....
    Almost....? It's truly sad. I still weep for the future...
    03-06-13 01:20 PM
    This is the most important comment on here, because this is exactly how it will happen with people my age and younger (I'm 25)..and older. But I think once you're past a certain age, unless you have kids or younger people that show you Instagram, you might not care and might also be one of the people that are fine using alternative apps with filters since you're not into the "social media" aspect of Instagram.

Not having Instagram is the equivalent of not having a Facebook app or a Twitter app. It's that simple. I don't have Facebook, but it's something I expect on every phone (even though I delete it immediately). Lots of people "don't get" the point of Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, and will write off their importance.

All BlackBerry needs is one solid commercial that shows people Skyping or using Instagram on their Z10, as well as all the other cool things it can do, and they can put the nail in the coffin of the OLD BlackBerry, once and for all.
    How many Instagram users are there compared to Facebook and Twitter?

I only know 1 person that uses Instagram (and I have a teenage son) but almost everyone that I know uses Facebook. (and to a lesser extent Twitter)

Posted via CB10
    JR A likes this.
    03-06-13 03:36 PM
    Duplicate post.
    03-06-13 03:38 PM
    @Dapper37, re: 5850 stores selling the Z10 between the UK and Canada, Average 28 days left in the 4th quarter.

Point taken -- but lest it lead to a misunderstanding of the numbers BlackBerry will report, when this was highlighted (March 3rd), BlackBerry's 4th quarter had just ended, I believe. They'll be reporting 4th quarter results at the end of March, which won't include most of March.
    03-06-13 04:13 PM
    I love all this buzz about the Z10 and to think about all the tech pundits trying to state that you buy into the Eco system far more than just the device. My experience with Eco systems and devices is most could care less about the Eco system as long as the handful of apps they feel are "must have" are available they will gladly re-purchase in the other eco system and be perfectly happy.
    JR A likes this.
    03-06-13 04:32 PM
    The only social media app I would *need* (and I use that term very, very loosely) is Facebook. Maybe Twitter, but I haven't used that in ages. Last time I tweeted something it was on my 9930 maybe 6 months ago.
    03-07-13 06:20 PM
    How many Instagram users are there compared to Facebook and Twitter?
    Facebook: 963.8 million (as of today) Facebook Statistics by Countries | Checkfacebook - Free FB Monitoring Tool

Twitter: between 200 million and 300 million (based on who you believe) Twitter On Track For 500 Million Total Users By March, 250 Million Active Users By End Of 2012 - AllTwitter

Instagram: 90 million accounts (according to a press release in February)... independent analysts claim it's only 40 million "active" users

Putting it in perspective, "irrelevant, doomed" BB had about 80 million active user accounts for BB 5/6/7, or about twice the number as "vital, important, indispensible and ubiquitous" Instagram.
    03-07-13 08:03 PM
    A few more iPhone users and previous BlackBerry users plan to come back to BlackBerry where i work. I have been pushing hard around here for people to check them out on youtube and here.

There has been alot of positive feedback. I am excited to get mine then truly demo the device to get people to switch. The only downside is for our work we do have a iOS and android app to assist us when we are working. But with the new OS they are confident they could care less about the app for a truly amazing device

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    BlackBerry By Choice!
    03-08-13 09:21 AM
47 12