The best mobile OS in the world that almost nobody knew

https://www.gsmarena.com/flashback_b...news-41415.php

Posted via Classic
    Last edited by D BB; 02-11-20 at 05:03 PM.
    02-11-20 04:04 AM
    The best mobile SO in the world that almost nobody knew

Posted via Classic
    No, it was good, but way far from being the best.
    02-11-20 04:44 AM
    It's almost like that advertisement for BB10 was designed for them to fail smh.

It was a great OS though especially for hub.
    02-11-20 07:47 AM
    It had a lot of potential.... few years of optimization and full development would have made it something.

Especially once the need for the Android Runtime had been overcome and apps were all native... and they all worked the same.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    02-11-20 07:55 AM
    It was a mess when it first came out. A lot of basic features that BBOS had was missing. Lots of complaints because the BB10 team purposely worked in a vacuum, ignoring much of what made BBOS so good.

Then, they spent the next two years shoe horning many of those features back in - bedside mode, custom LED colors, custom notification/ringer volume per app or per account, things like that.

It was much better by 10.3.2.

All I wished for by then was a better laid out "Settings" for all that stuff.

All 10.3.3 really added was the long promised NIAP certification.
    ppeters914 and Eumaeus like this.
    02-11-20 10:07 AM
    It was a mess when it first came out. A lot of basic features that BBOS had was missing. Lots of complaints because the BB10 team purposely worked in a vacuum, ignoring much of what made BBOS so good.

Then, they spent the next two years shoe horning many of those features back in - bedside mode, custom LED colors, custom notification/ringer volume per app or per account, things like that.

Almost all of the post-launch BB10 development happened within the first year. 10.3 beta was available in March of 2014.

It would have been interesting to see it today had it kept going at that initial pace.
    02-11-20 10:10 AM
    Almost all of the post-launch BB10 development happened within the first year. 10.3 beta was available in March of 2014.

It would have been interesting to see it today had it kept going at that initial pace.
    There were a few minor items tossed in by 10.3.1 or .2... I forget now what it was, but I do recall commenting about it on the old - now defunct - BlackBerry support forum.

But, yeah, most of it did happen that first year. I do forget how quickly that all occurred.
    02-11-20 10:26 AM

Even then.... they still had 100's of developers on BB10 in maintenance mode after the end of 2014. DonHB just can't see to understand how complex software development on product like this was.
    02-11-20 10:43 AM
    DonHB just can't see to understand how complex software development on product like this was.
    ....or that it will cost money that no one will invest. That's real money not pocket change from a bunch of fanboys.

Oh, well, don't want to encourage him. It's all been discussed many times.... *SO* many times.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-11-20 11:05 AM
    Had it had app support it was and is to this day superior to the latest Android or iOS version. Android and iOS are really just annual iterations of old operating systems. BlackBerry 10 was the most modern. Windows also had a lot of potential that was wasted due to developers swooned by Apple, Google and the carrier agreements. Money talks and BS walks..
    02-11-20 11:56 AM

Come on we all know BlackBerry 10 would have been amazing with app developer support. Had the BlackBerry 10 devices even launched with 10.2.1 it could have been different. I despise AT&T for their complete and utter botch of now releasing that update OTA immediately.
    02-11-20 11:59 AM
    Come on we all know BlackBerry 10 would have been amazing with app developer support. Had the BlackBerry 10 devices even launched with 10.2.1 it could have been different. I despise AT&T for their complete and utter botch of now releasing that update OTA immediately.
    BlackBerry had already set the ball in motion to leave handsets well before 10.2.1 was first released.

Nothing mattered with respect to devices after August of 2013 when the company went up for sale.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and ppeters914 like this.
    02-11-20 12:01 PM
    BlackBerry had already set the ball in motion to leave handsets well before 10.2.1 was first released.

Nothing mattered with respect to devices after August of 2013 when the company went up for sale.
    And yet they released the Passport, Classic, Q5 and Leap all after August of '13 and up until '15 while the Android Priv was in development and until the Priv came out that November of '15. And since then there has been a "BlackBerry" branded device produced and for sale. Now BlackBerry is at another crossroads. What's next nobody knows. Certainly the manufacturing of devices has changed drastically and is far less than it was even 4-5 years ago. Also seems to be a lot more partnerships than prior.
    02-11-20 12:45 PM

Posted via Classic
    2013 devices that still look great. 😎
    mundo472 and merlin29 like this.
    02-11-20 12:47 PM
    And yet they released the Passport, Classic, Q5 and Leap all after August of '13 and up until '15 while the Android Priv was in development and until the Priv came out that November of '15. And since then there has been a "BlackBerry" branded device produced and for sale. Now BlackBerry is at another crossroads. What's next nobody knows. Certainly the manufacturing of devices has changed drastically and is far less than it was even 4-5 years ago. Also seems to be a lot more partnerships than prior.
    Yes. They had millions of dollars of supplier commitments to burn through. They also had to keep the wheels turning until the software side was built up.

This is all public, well-documented history.
    02-11-20 01:32 PM

If that had happened it would be an Apple killer...........but then again.
    02-11-20 02:23 PM
    If that had happened it would be an Apple killer...........but then again.
    I seriously doubt that, but still a player? Maybe, and then I'd probably still be rocking a BlackBerry.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.......
    02-11-20 02:34 PM

BB10 was really only usable for the maases with the release of BB10 2.1. If I remember correctly it took almost 1 year for this update to be widely available. Before this you had to be a true BlackBerry fan to work around many different issues.
    Too late in the game for most former BlackBerry corporate buyers evaluating the OS for their company. In the Tech world it is very hard to get the opportunity for a second impression.
    02-11-20 03:18 PM
    Ultimately the only thing that mattered is that it needed to be released no later than early 2009 in order to survive. By 2013 there was nothing that they could have released that would have saved BB10.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-11-20 03:18 PM

Posted via Classic
    I still don’t know your Significant Other, mobile or not
    02-11-20 03:29 PM
    2013 devices that still look great. 😎
    My next BB will be the Classic for replace my Classic when it's broken

Posted via Classic
    merlin29 likes this.
    02-11-20 05:07 PM
    I still don’t know your Significant Other, mobile or not
    Ups I'm Portuguese and used to "SO" (sistema operativo) )

Posted via Classic
    bh7171 likes this.
    02-11-20 05:12 PM
    Does it support html 5?
    Cough cough..
    cribble2k likes this.
    02-11-20 05:18 PM
    Ups I'm Portuguese and used to "SO" (sistema operativo) )

Posted via Classic
    As long as you consider where and who the comment was from...
    02-11-20 05:25 PM
    Does it support html 5?
    Cough cough..
    Without supporting Lithuanian nor featuring Dark Mode, it was doomed to fail.
    JeepBB and PantherBlitz like this.
    02-11-20 05:54 PM
82 123 ...