So i was thinking maybe RIM plans to release the Z10 in Canada first? Seems like Canadian retailers are the only ones taking actual pre orders right now, first rogers then future shop and best buy and now walmart? Most of these are American chains but only seem to offer the pre orders in Canada. Also the release day leaks we saw for TELUS and bell were both earlier then tmobile, what do you guys think? Maybe RIM is showing Canada some love lol or wishful thinking on my part.
    01-15-13 10:39 PM
    Honestly, RIM only has so much control over actual, in-the-hand release dates.

All it can do is make shipping commitments to the carriers. It's the carriers who get the handsets out to customers.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-15-13 10:44 PM
    Unless its due to the carriers or supply issues, this would be a big mistake. BB10 is hot in America right now. They need to release it ASAP here. Americans are not forgiving to snubs. Rim can't make Americans wait or people will move on.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-15-13 10:47 PM
    I agree it wouldn't be a good plan on rims part at all but just speculation based on the information im seeing right now. I guess we will find out in 2 weeks! This wait is killing me!
    01-15-13 10:56 PM
    I'm good with it. Canadians deserve first dibs on a product of their own design. They've had to take the back seat many times before.
    01-15-13 11:26 PM
    Unless its due to the carriers or supply issues, this would be a big mistake. BB10 is hot in America right now. They need to release it ASAP here. Americans are not forgiving to snubs. Rim can't make Americans wait or people will move on.
    But America has been snubbing RIM for the last couple years while others markets have been much more loyal.
    Not directed at you personally, but it's an arrogant attitude for Americans to feel entitled to get first dibs just because they are jumping back on the band wagon now.

Unfortunately I'm sure RIM (as most companies have in the past) will cater to this attitude just because of the large consumer market in the US. The downside is that smaller, more loyal markets, will likely get pushed back.
    01-15-13 11:48 PM
    At the risk of sounding like an arrogant American.

Consumer product + largest consumer market seems to be a wise business decision to me.
    Drew808, alan510 and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-16-13 12:07 AM
    I suspect if RIM had its way, the product would be launched world-wide at the same time. I am sure they do not want to hold anyone back from owning the device. AS was said many times, it is all in the carrier's hands. If you are feeling left out, call your carrier and demand faster action. If I remember correctly, the main 50 carriers in N. America and Europe were given the devices for carrier testing at the same time.
    01-16-13 01:48 AM

Consumer product + largest consumer market seems to be a wise business decision to me.
    Uhmmm, yeah maybe in 2009. Nowadays it's China and their trade relationship with ASEAN. While the US may still have the top spot as far as countries go, individual countries no longer make up economic blocks, it's NAFTA, EUFTA, ACFTA. China and Asian markets destroy the North American ones. Dude, it's not even close.
    mark37724 likes this.
    01-16-13 01:56 AM

I'm pretty sure that the US will be in phase 1 of the launch.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-16-13 04:28 AM
    I'm pretty sure that the US will be in phase 1 of the launch.
    Odds are that they will lag behind the rest of the wave 1 carrier such as those in Canada due to the slowness of the American carriers rather than Rim delaying things.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-16-13 09:36 AM
    Uhmmm, yeah maybe in 2009. Nowadays it's China and their trade relationship with ASEAN. While the US may still have the top spot as far as countries go, individual countries no longer make up economic blocks, it's NAFTA, EUFTA, ACFTA. China and Asian markets destroy the North American ones. Dude, it's not even close.
    Fully agree. I was making reference to the previous post. There really are no single nation distinct economies any more. After all does Canada really make RIM products? The only aspects that linger are national government controls. I'm in the int'l air cargo business and have seen the global economy mature. Not that I think its a badge of honor, but when it comes to consumerism, we Americans have been the best at it. Its our culture. We devote a month long holiday to it.
    01-16-13 09:55 AM
    I'm good with it. Canadians deserve first dibs on a product of their own design. They've had to take the back seat many times before.
    It was probably designed by a bunch of young, cool, immigrant Chinese kids (former UW students) now working at RIM. Who knows? It doesn't matter.
    It's only logical to launch it where it could sell the quickest and the most.
    01-16-13 09:58 AM

If you ignore India, sure
    01-16-13 01:43 PM
    FWIW:

If this release is in phases, the USA will not be first. The will go to where demand is greatest for blackberries. India, UK, Canada, etc.

USA is easily second to those places.

Having said that, it better be available no more than 2 weeks later in the USA. If they make us (I'm a USA looser) wait more than a month, it will not go over well.
    01-16-13 01:46 PM
    FWIW:

If this release is in phases, the USA will not be first. The will go to where demand is greatest for blackberries. India, UK, Canada, etc.

USA is easily second to those places.

Having said that, it better be available no more than 2 weeks later in the USA. If they make us (I'm a USA looser) wait more than a month, it will not go over well.
    I don't think so.
    Even with the lower ratio of BB users to other brands in the USA, it still has more BB users than Canada. Not sure about the UK and India.
    01-16-13 02:34 PM
    Within 2 weeks of lauch would seem so critical to the success. Not ony in North America but anywhere they plan on introducing BB10. I don't see any other gangbuster launches on the horizon so its perfect to launch with out othe noise from other new products. Just put it out and sell it.
    01-16-13 03:20 PM
    It'll be launched in Asia, Africa & South America first... You just watch...

Remember where you heard it first...
    01-16-13 04:34 PM
    I imagine RIM will try to get the product in all primary markets as quickly as they can.

No need for respective 'represent-our-country' pissing matches.
    01-16-13 04:39 PM
    There will be many "first" countries included. Canada will be one of them, yes, but not the only "first" country.
    pmccartney and peter9477 like this.
    01-16-13 05:07 PM
    Not sure why anyone would think Canada will get it first because of RIM, even if it happens to launch in Canada first. I mean, that's pure speculation, and entirely baseless. Correlation does not imply causation, so seeing it launch in Canada first (if it does) tells you nothing about the reason why it launched there first.

Far more likely that the carriers in Canada are more willing to jump in with both feet and ship on the earliest date possible. I expect you'll find the same in one or two other countries, but if not in the US then I don't think you should blame RIM for that. Talk to your slightly skittish carrier if it comes to that....
    cjcampbell and pmccartney like this.
    01-16-13 05:51 PM
    At this point, actual "in-hand" dates are out of RIM's control. Unfortunately, RIM"s credibility (like it or not, the public will see it this way) is going to depend entirely on the competency of the carriers. RIM is launching their platform on January 30th as planned. They provided the devices to carriers months ago to finish testing and be ready to go as soon as possible. I believe that once we hit the 30th, RIM has done their part and it's up to the carriers to hold their's. I highly doubt RIM is going to hold back devices in certain regions, especially in the larger markets like U.S. and others.

However, I'm pretty sure we'll see devices launch in the U.S. within two weeks of the 30th. RIM chose that date after carriers had expressed their interests and carrier testing was on-going. RIM knows what's at stake and I'm sure they chose that date knowing that devices would be in customers' hands soon after the event. It makes no sense otherwise. If not all U.S. carriers, at least Verizon and AT&T (because Sprint and T-Mobile have already stated later in the year) will most likely have the device very soon after launch as I can bet that RIM would have made sure to get the two largest American carriers on board sooner than the others in the country.
    01-16-13 06:11 PM
    For what its worth (not much) I'm at conestoga mall right now. The guy at the rogers kiosk said they have been told to expect (but not specific date) the device a week after launch. He clearly knew what the launch was and was able to seperate the rogers release date from it by a week from what he was told. Take it for what it is, not much but hope. He was not a brainless front line he knew launch, z10, the expected specs,etc so I don't think he's confusing it with anything else.
    pmccartney and cjcampbell like this.
    01-16-13 06:27 PM
    For what its worth (not much) I'm at conestoga mall right now. The guy at the rogers kiosk said they have been told to expect (but not specific date) the device a week after launch. He clearly knew what the launch was and was able to seperate the rogers release date from it by a week from what he was told. Take it for what it is, not much but hope. He was not a brainless front line he knew launch, z10, the expected specs,etc so I don't think he's confusing it with anything else.
    Actually, given the location of the store and town he's in, that guy probably knows more about it than anyone here in the forums, so I'm gonna go with what he said.
    01-16-13 07:43 PM
    Actually, given the location of the store and town he's in, that guy probably knows more about it than anyone here in the forums, so I'm gonna go with what he said.
    I live much closer to RIM HQ than that kiosk in Conestoga mall, I follow CrackBerry, know the rumoured Z10 spec and know many people at RIM. Based on this, should I have an idea when it will be released, because I honestly don't have a clue. j/k

please vote http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...1/#post7861444
    01-17-13 07:55 AM
43 12