With the risk of sounding like a real hater there's a flaw in the BB10 apps design or concept.

So we know thanks to QNX microkernel when an app misbehaves or crashes it doesn't take the whole OS with it which is very good. However, the app does not reset or repair itself when you shut it down so you will need to reboot the whole OS to get that app going again.

So assuming you were using that app because you need it then you still have to reboot the phone, just like with BBOS, to be able to use it. I don't see the progress here.

How do other platforms deal with this?
    04-13-13 12:34 PM
    04-13-13 12:37 PM
    I tried that and it didn't work. It closes it but it doesn't repair a crashed app. Not yet anyway.
    04-13-13 12:38 PM
    Hmm i'll have to keep an eye on that next time an app crashes on me..
    04-13-13 12:49 PM
    With the risk of sounding like a real hater there's a flaw in the BB10 apps design or concept.

So we know thanks to QNX microkernel when an app misbehaves or crashes it doesn't take the whole OS with it which is very good. However, the app does not reset or repair itself when you shut it down so you will need to reboot the whole OS to get that app going again.

So assuming you were using that app because you need it then you still have to reboot the phone, just like with BBOS, to be able to use it. I don't see the progress here.
    I'm not sure what you're seeing here, but generally once an app exits, for any reason, and maybe after a brief delay, it should be completely gone from memory and have released other resources.

Starting it up again should result in identical behaviour to what happened the previous time you started it, aside from any changes in "state" that might result from it having updated the files in its own "sandbox" data folder.

If you're seeing something different, it's worth reporting, maybe letting others know which app (since this shouldn't be at all widespread), and investigating, since it may reflect an obscure bug in the OS, or a problem with that app.

Mainly I want to say that I think there's no "flaw" in the concept or design here, though it's possible there's a flaw in the implementation. I suspect the flaw is more with whatever app you're talking about, but that's a debatable point (and one that could be answered with more investigation).
    a1s2d3f4g5 likes this.
    04-13-13 12:58 PM
    I'm not sure what you're seeing here, but generally once an app exits, for any reason, and maybe after a brief delay, it should be completely gone from memory and have released other resources.

Starting it up again should result in identical behaviour to what happened the previous time you started it, aside from any changes in "state" that might result from it having updated the files in its own "sandbox" data folder.

If you're seeing something different, it's worth reporting, maybe letting others know which app (since this shouldn't be at all widespread), and investigating, since it may reflect an obscure bug in the OS, or a problem with that app.

Mainly I want to say that I think there's no "flaw" in the concept or design here, though it's possible there's a flaw in the implementation. I suspect the flaw is more with whatever app you're talking about, but that's a debatable point (and one that could be answered with more investigation).
    The calling app forced me to do a few reboots and also notifications stuck on silent for example.
    04-13-13 02:23 PM
    Yeah, built-in apps such as the calling one are technically apps, but the reside partially as a system component
    04-14-13 01:53 AM
    I just want to know why jet pack joy ride randomly closes

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 03:34 AM
    I've had this happen with only one app. The phone app.
    If it gets stuck, you minimise and close it, but when you reopen it's stuck in it's old state.
    Only a reboot fixes this.
    Not sure if it's just this app but it certainly is a headache.
    04-14-13 03:39 AM
    Beginning to think Belfast has a dodgy z10. Seems to be reporting issues I have never seen. And then posting them as universal facts. Belfast, have you tried exchanging your handset? You have many issues with it.

Anyway. For an app that has frozen. I have been able to close it and reopen it again. But I have only had a couple of apps do that, and none of my stock apps have crashed. BlackBerry travel died once and wouldn't reboot. So I had to reboot the phone.

The progress there is that it look 1 minute to do so compared to the 3-5 of my legacy device

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    04-14-13 04:47 AM

This works great with 3rd party apps that you have installed. System Apps on the other hand, do not have the ability to be shutdown & restarted (except for the hub) without a reboot. Luckily it's a very stable OS so this isn't a common issue.....but it does happen
    04-14-13 04:48 AM
    Beginning to think Belfast has a dodgy z10. Seems to be reporting issues I have never seen. And then posting them as universal facts. Belfast, have you tried exchanging your handset? You have many issues with it.

Anyway. For an app that has frozen. I have been able to close it and reopen it again. But I have only had a couple of apps do that, and none of my stock apps have crashed. BlackBerry travel died once and wouldn't reboot. So I had to reboot the phone.

The progress there is that it look 1 minute to do so compared to the 3-5 of my legacy device

Posted via CB10
    If you read one post below yours you'll see it seems to be an issue with system apps. Like the phone app.
    I've had it happen to me as well.
    Needs a reboot if it gets messed up.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 07:30 AM
    If you read one post below yours you'll see it seems to be an issue with system apps. Like the phone app.
    I've had it happen to me as well.
    Needs a reboot if it gets messed up.

Posted via CB10
    Which could still mean a defective device.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 07:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's obviously a software problem, are you suggesting people should run and exchange their phones at every software fluke?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 07:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    It could except I've got the same issues.
    Many people have the same issues BC is describing.
    At what point does it stop being a defective device and start being an OS problem?

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 07:39 AM
    I've had it happen just a couple times, once with bb maps and strangely enough once with the settings menu. I couldn't scroll past a certain point and I needed to get down to the location services setting.

As far as other OSs, on Android when an app misbehaves you get a pop up asking if you want to wait or force close the app. If you hit force close you can go back to the app, relaunch it, and it'll be working.
    04-14-13 07:40 AM
    It could except I've got the same issues.
    Many people have the same issues BC is describing.
    At what point does it stop being a defective device and start being an OS problem?

Posted via CB10
    I'm going on all the other issues he has reported as well. Not just this particular one

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 08:40 AM
    This works great with 3rd party apps that you have installed. System Apps on the other hand, do not have the ability to be shutdown & restarted (except for the hub) without a reboot. Luckily it's a very stable OS so this isn't a common issue.....but it does happen
    Ah, the OP led me to think this was a general statement about a fundamental "defect" that affected all apps.

If it's only certain system apps, I would suggest the problem is not in the design of the OS, but in the way some of those system apps are implemented. Alternatively, if it's only certain system apps which are tied to background services (as the phone app surely is), then there may be current flaws in the design, and I'd point out that's one likely reason why the whole "headless apps" capability has not yet been exposed to third-party devs... it's still in beta. I don't see any reason to think this is an inherent design flaw (although on re-reading I see the OP never used that term either).
    04-14-13 09:14 AM
    I'm going on all the other issues he has reported as well. Not just this particular one

Posted via CB10
    Ah.
    Although loads of people have reported those as issues as well right? Email issues etc.
    Wish I could have seen the device BD saw at the Elite conference thingie though...
    04-14-13 09:26 AM
    Ah.
    Although loads of people have reported those as issues as well right? Email issues etc.
    Wish I could have seen the device BD saw at the Elite conference thingie though...
    I remember flicking to unlock the screen and it was instant, boom, on mine I flick up and it slowly unlocks, not the instant open I saw then.
    04-14-13 09:36 AM
    I remember flicking to unlock the screen and it was instant, boom, on mine I flick up and it slowly unlocks, not the instant open I saw then.
    Which thankfully mine is as instant as the one you saw by the sounds of things. Considering I'm in the same device it shouldn't be that different. Which lead be to believe there may be a defect

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 09:52 AM
    I've never had this problem as I've never had an app crash on me. Feel like such a minority. However, I do notice that if I close an active frame and quickly go back to the app page where that particular app is located, it will grey out for a bit before returning to its original form. So perhaps that in itself is the fix? You have to wait a few seconds to let it "properly close" before re-opening the app.
    04-14-13 10:12 AM
    I've never had this problem as I've never had an app crash on me. Feel like such a minority. However, I do notice that if I close an active frame and quickly go back to the app page where that particular app is located, it will grey out for a bit before returning to its original form. So perhaps that in itself is the fix? You have to wait a few seconds to let it "properly close" before re-opening the app.
    No that's not quite what we are talking about. Did you watch the Z10's BBM Stress Test live? If you had you would have saw a similar crash with the BBM Video. No matter what they did, BBM still showed them connected to the video call & wouldn't close. Sometimes the error isn't as noticeable as that, but it's still the same kinda issue. I agree with Peter9477
    if it's only certain system apps which are tied to background services (as the phone app surely is), then there may be current flaws in the design, and I'd point out that's one likely reason why the whole "headless apps" capability has not yet been exposed to third-party devs... it's still in beta.
    That would explain why they have not yet opened up the API's for background apps, because they have yet to come up with an easy way for people to find & close said apps when they are misbehaving. A quick/easy to pull up "Task Manager" with the ability to close or restart apps would do the job nicely. Or better yet, an invisible self diagnostic that runs in the background & constantly checks system apps, processes / services. When it finds an aren't app it would restart it........though then there would never be a reason to ever restart you phone lol
    04-14-13 11:55 AM