Hey guys, due to my tight college budget I do not have a data plan. I have T-mobile with the "myFaves 300" and "1000 anytime messages" which totals me around $50 a month, which to be honest I can't afford much more. It wasn't a problem until recently as I had an iPod touch I would use everything besides calls and texts, however after a recent swim in the washing machine it seems to be done. So now I need to basically take advantage of whatever I can on my BB. Im gonna get a 16gb microSD mostly for music (again, ipod is gone) but I also want to take advantage of what I can on my BB as its going to be my all-in-one. Without a data plan it seems BBM doesn't work... or google mobile... or any cool apps, which is why I come to you guys. Any advice or possible cheap alternatives you guys can come up with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
    10-16-09 01:28 PM
    Yikes! Sorry to hear about the iPod Touch! That's a real bummer!

If I were you, I would try to get a CHEAP data plan like 5.99 Tzones. Maybe you could reduce your messaging bundle some to afford it. Because when you have Tzones, you can use some apps and the internet.

If this isn't an option for you...then try Wi-Fi. You also have the Pearl Flip which does have Wi-Fi, so you can use Wifi on your campus for free to get apps and whatnot. There are tons of IM apps that will work on wifi, like Palringo, which is free.
    10-16-09 01:36 PM
    I'd just spring for the BIS internet plan. I know, I know, you're on a tight budget because of college, and I applaud you for sticking with school, wish I had done the same... ANYWAYS, from what I understand T-Mobile's BlackBerry Internet Service plan is only around $20.00 per month, and it's really the only way that you're going to get full functionality out of your BB, and I think that it'll be worth it for you. You will be able to setup your school e-mail, download multiple apps to help keep you organized with your schoolwork and stuff, etc. The thing about it is WiFi will only take you so far... sure, youl'll be able to do some browsing and such, but there are a fair ammount of apps that require a data plan to run...

Downgrade your beer purchases and upgrade to a BIS plan. I reccomend Keystone Light, it's pretty decent for a cheap price!
    10-16-09 01:41 PM
    I'd like to reiterate that you shouldn't feel pressured to get a data plan. I'm a college student too and I have a BIS plan but I've made sacrifices so I can get it.

However, I know that some people just CAN'T afford it. It's still costly and you can't just "cut back on beer" to pay for it. I know when my father went to school, he had to pay his whole way through (no parental help). He saved all his minimum wage money for food, books, and tuition. He had NO money for beer, girls..let alone a data plan, haha.

having a BB plan is great but it's not worth starving over.

You may also look into getting a different phone. You could sell the Flip and get a dumbphone with smartphone features. There's a plan available for those phones that is 19.99 for UNLIMITED text and data. It could really save you money.
    10-16-09 02:07 PM
    I'd like to reiterate that you shouldn't feel pressured to get a data plan. I'm a college student too and I have a BIS plan but I've made sacrifices so I can get it.

However, I know that some people just CAN'T afford it. It's still costly and you can't just "cut back on beer" to pay for it.
    I agree, and I want to re-iterate that I'm not condoning pressure to get the BIS data plan. For some people, it is an option that they feel is necessary and are willing to make the sacrifices to have it. I don't make the most money, I live on my own (with GF) and I make certain sacrifices so that I can enjoy my BB the way that I want to. Make sure that what ever you do you are comfortable with the decision that you make. It is not for me, or anyone else to say what you should or shouldn't do, I simply made my assessment of the situation... Didn't want to give the wrong impression, and tried to draw a little humor out of the situation (thus the beer comment)...

Anyways, like Artemis said, you may want to look into getting a "dumbphone" with some smart phone options, such as a data plan and a decent browser, or some kind of internet package for said phone. If you go to T-Mobile and explain your situation, I have a feeling that they will be able to tailor something for your needs.

That way you can keep drinking the higher priced brew!
    10-16-09 02:22 PM
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses guys! Honestly I could spring a little , especially once my financial aid gets straightened out (currently receiving $0 a semester where as last semester I received over $3K with a 100% scholarship). Later on (christmas) I was planning on upgrading to a more powerful device anyway, and want to be able to do the same stuff I used to do with the touch. Maybe switching carriers would save me money? So many possibilities I can think of but Im new to all this and don't know where to start.

Also Keystone is okay, but the best way to go is to get Natural Light and some fresh limes, combine both and you got a party
    10-16-09 04:06 PM
    Try going to Billshrink.com to see if you'd do better with a different TMo plan. Do you really use all your minutes and your texts, or do you have some left over?
    10-16-09 04:15 PM
    T-mo is notorious for "working" with you to lower your bill. call them up and tell them the truth.. you're a college student that is having trouble paying the bills. i bet you dollars to donuts they'll help you out and at least give you some good ideas.
    10-16-09 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD