04-09-10 06:21 AM
34 12
tools
    I'm on BB because like millions of others in Defense, law, goverment, etc.. it is required that I have a BB.
    ...and here we have the bottom line. You're forced to use a product you hate, so you're here to share that hate. However, most of us here don't hate BlackBerry devices. I get your frustration, I really do. RIM isn't perfect, and they haven't been overly innovative. Blame it on wanting to stay constant to business owners / workers (think of how many big three-letter corporations stuck with NT4, then Win2k, then XP when there were one or even two newer OS versions out); blame it on perfecting a design instead of totally redesigning; blame it on whatever you like. A lot of people would tell you that today's BlackBerry is the same concept they've always had and loved, but polished, improved. Whether it's improved enough is a judgment call.

But I don't think I agree with the idea that specs are everything. Case and point, netbooks. They sound like a huge step backwards- smaller screens? Slow, single-core cpu's? 2GB max of ram, and minuscule little 8GB hard drives? Seriously? Yet they sell like hotcakes. They even outsell the powerhouse desktop replacements with 1000X the specs. Sure, some of it is about price, but I doubt anyone ever chooses an Acer netbook over an Alienware on price alone. When it comes down to it, how much is needed? How much is overkill? Why do you need 500hp in your car, even if it is your daily commuter vehicle? Should Honda Civics stop being sold because we have Mustangs? Things can remain useful, functional, and even sought after while not racing everyone else in the advertising & spec department.
    04-08-10 04:23 PM
    I'm going to go out on a limb and take the unpopular position of defending RIM here.

The cpu in the 9700 is plenty fast enough for me. If the cpu is older, then it's likely cost effective tried-and-true refined technology instead of expensive bleeding edge. Still not convinced? Okay, they probably chose it because it stomps everything out there in terms of battery life. You can't have everything, and I personally (like most business users) prefer that my BlackBerry last days without charging than having it be some iPhone-like gaming platform which I'm lucky to get 24 hours out of.

I agree they should have more internal flash memory, but for all we know, the entire OS's memory management routines would have to be rewritten to accommodate a larger sized OS partition. And seriously, emails? How much space do they take up? Unless they each have 2MB attachments, you'll need an awful lot of them to "fill up" your 9700. Yes, 'some' phones are shipping with tons more memory, but they fail in several ways that RIM excels in. Like everything else, it's a trade-off.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Well said...well said!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 04:30 PM
    Synth- he is just making an observation as to the direction of the smartphone market and industry. And he is right. You love your 9700 so why do you care if OS6 on RIM looks like sense UI? Keep using that 9700. You don't have to change. Everything else just has a way of doing that around you.

Hey, I like my BlackBerry. You don't like yours and want something else. No one is stopping from buying something else, but you keep coming here to complain and promise me I'll soon see things running the way you want them to.
    04-08-10 04:35 PM
    Hey, I like my BlackBerry. You don't like yours and want something else. No one is stopping from buying something else, but you keep coming here to complain and promise me I'll soon see things running the way you want them to.
    Never said I don't like my BB. I just don't turn a blind eye to its shortcomings. I am just pointing out here that you are attacking someone who is just talking about the diection this market is moving. No one told you to adapt to change or anything like that. Relax. All that fretting over lost fractions of seconds due to UI animatitions has you stressed.

04-08-10 04:42 PM
    I believe I just heard the berry being compared to a honda civic....Um have you guys ever heard of the Civic Si? It's the sport version. So maybe RIM can have a sport version too...put a terrabyte in that thing and some chromed out spinners around the microphone...now we're talking!
    04-08-10 04:49 PM
    Why do you need more than a 386sx computer?
    The strange fact is that most people only need about 10% of the available resource for most of their computing.

It was good enough to get me through law school.
    With that simple admission all becomes clear. I now understand the background to your insults and condescending manner.

It is by far and overwhelmingly true that those who are Berried By Force of Profession that want to see these changes.
    (sic)
    Unfortunately your assertions don't seem to be supported by evidence or a valid statistical survey - but truth is often a casualty to oratory.

I accept my sample is no more likely than yours to be representative of the average BB user. However... The majority of professional and business users I encounter in my daily life see their smartphone as a communication tool which is used for phone, email, SMS and sometimes calendar, in that order (and often under duress for mail and calendar). They don't care about other applications, they have no wish to use them and if most of the email would please go away and let them get on with real work it would be greatly appreciated.

There you have it, another user's contrasting opinion.
    04-08-10 05:03 PM
    Interesting stuff.

I have almost completely run out of application space on my Bold 9000, and would dearly love to have even 1GB of space for app. I'm not wanting to play games, just be able to use my BlackBerry, which I love, more productively and imaginatively. I'm due to change 'phones in six months, and I dearly want to change to another BB, but we'll have to see what the deals and products are like at that time: there are some good/better products from other manufacturers, now.
    04-09-10 04:30 AM
    I have almost completely run out of application space on my Bold 9000, and would dearly love to have even 1GB of space for app. I'm not wanting to play games, just be able to use my BlackBerry, which I love, more productively and imaginatively. I'm due to change 'phones in six months, and I dearly want to change to another BB, but we'll have to see what the deals and products are like at that time: there are some good/better products from other manufacturers, now.
    You have the right attitude with looking at what is available on the day you select the new phone. So often with phones (and many other tech items) the market will completely change by the time you decide.

I would be interested to hear what kind of extra apps you are using - although the Bold 9000 had only 128M of runtime memory (not too bad when it was designed) it is unusual to find one which has reached the limit.
    04-09-10 04:44 AM
    Will RIM ever install atleast 1gb of space on the BB? Its sad but I think my 9700 might be my last BB. I just need more internal space for emails and need to be able to receive full emails and not have the truncated, large attachements, and more freak'n app space. its so frustrated at times. For a business phone its a pain in the a$$ sometimes to really do business tasks. RIM really needs to do something fast about the lack of internal memory or atleast allow the memory card to be used.
    To help clear some things up, I suggest you check your database sizes, and maybe post them so that we can see if you should be having email issues. I am on an 8330, and granted I don't have business emails coming to it, but I have 96MB of mem compared to your 256MB.

If it is the same as mine, you can check by doing the following:
    Options-->Status-->Menu-->Database Sizes
    If you want to you can also do this:
    Menu-->Copy Sizes
    Then you can paste it directly into the browser to make your post.
    04-09-10 06:21 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD