Will RIM ever install atleast 1gb of space on the BB? Its sad but I think my 9700 might be my last BB. I just need more internal space for emails and need to be able to receive full emails and not have the truncated, large attachements, and more freak'n app space. its so frustrated at times. For a business phone its a pain in the a$$ sometimes to really do business tasks. RIM really needs to do something fast about the lack of internal memory or atleast allow the memory card to be used.
    04-07-10 11:15 AM
    I agree with you completely, I got that truncated line on an email today and was like, wtf? The good thing is there is browser based mobile email for the huge ones but, we need much more storage space.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 11:52 AM
    The new bold 9650(tour 2) will have 2gb of internal memory.
    Check out the video at 3:58

blackberry Essex Bold 9650 (Tour 2) | The Tech And Gadget Blog
    04-07-10 12:05 PM

Does it allow memory cards? is the 2gb taking the place of the memory card slot? also still less that 140mb of app space. so nothing has changed email and app space is still limited.
    04-07-10 01:41 PM
    The 2gb is the actual phones internal memory(where emails, sms, etc. is stored) and there is still an expandable microSD card slot. Eventually RIM will start putting more app memory on the phone than just 256mb I hope.
    04-07-10 02:13 PM
    The 2gb is the actual phones internal memory(where emails, sms, etc. is stored) and there is still an expandable microSD card slot. Eventually RIM will start putting more app memory on the phone than just 256mb I hope.
    "Eventually RIM will start putting more app memory on the phone than just 256mb I hope." - as we all do!
    04-07-10 02:38 PM
    Will RIM ever install atleast 1gb of space on the BB? Its sad but I think my 9700 might be my last BB. I just need more internal space for emails and need to be able to receive full emails and not have the truncated, large attachements, and more freak'n app space. its so frustrated at times. For a business phone its a pain in the a$$ sometimes to really do business tasks. RIM really needs to do something fast about the lack of internal memory or atleast allow the memory card to be used.
    The truncation is a separate issue from device storage.

What do you fill the memory with and how much is left?
    04-07-10 02:50 PM
    I guess it depends on how many apps you have, and how you use your phone. I've never run into a space issue, even with my install-an-app-to-try-and-forget-about-it thing I seem to do Any file storage can be done with a memory card, and after popping a 16GB MicroSD into my 9700, I've had all the room I could want.

That said, flash is pretty cheap, and I don't know why they don't include at least 1GB on the phone.
    04-07-10 03:10 PM
    The truncation is a separate issue from device storage.

What do you fill the memory with and how much is left?
    My apps are, Yahoo, Facebk, Twitter, LinkedIn, BBmsg, AP Mobile News, BeWeather, TeleMap, B of A, Discover, Paypal, Ebay, App World, OnMyWay, Bing, Flixster/Movies, Google Voice, Wifi Transfer, PhotoNote, Blink, Google Mobile App, Speedtest, SpoofApp, ZonaSnap, QuickLaunch, Yelp, Tripcase, Aloqa, Ing Direct, BerryMail, iLock, BBSSH, Loopt, FileScout, Chess, Next Dual Pack, Reversi...

I have 8 email accounts on my phone. I do a lot of emailing and sms'ing and I need to save majority of the emails for reference as well as sms'. I have text messages as far back as 10/2009 since its threaded I can also reference back.

right now i have around 88mb free. I just went through an deleted a bunch of emails and sms. I would of liked to of kept but my space was getting too low. it's 2010 I shouldn't have to think about space like this when phone's are being shipped with 32gb of space on them. there is really no excuse for 256mb with 120-140mb free for the user. thats the type of space you would expect on a Motorola Razr flip phone not a business phone.
    04-07-10 04:24 PM
    I guess it depends on how many apps you have, and how you use your phone. I've never run into a space issue, even with my install-an-app-to-try-and-forget-about-it thing I seem to do Any file storage can be done with a memory card, and after popping a 16GB MicroSD into my 9700, I've had all the room I could want.

That said, flash is pretty cheap, and I don't know why they don't include at least 1GB on the phone.
    i have a 4gb card, with about 2gb free... I'm using the phone how its ment to be used, for business reasons. i'm just being limited as to how much info i can carry. I know i'm going to run into a big problem when my new member site opens and support emails start coming in. I'll have to limit the my use and delete emails more often till I decide if I really want to stick with the BB or not. Its a great phone but this device space is getting annoying.
    04-07-10 04:32 PM

That's an old video from before the original essex got pulled.

Plus, it still has 256MB RAM (128MB was still available for installing apps), and 2MB storage space (for media: pics, music...). You can't install apps in the 2GB area. If it's built like the Storm2, then yes, you can still install a microSD card.
    04-08-10 06:38 AM
    That's an old video from before the original essex got pulled.

Plus, it still has 256MB RAM (128MB was still available for installing apps), and 2MB storage space (for media: pics, music...). You can't install apps in the 2GB area. If it's built like the Storm2, then yes, you can still install a microSD card.
    And further correct misinformation in this thread...you can't store messages calendar items etc on the internal storage. RIM only uses internal storage for media (pics, music, etc.). So the 256 mb of ram is for the OS, apps, log files, and all the OS databases including messages and calendar items.

It would have been smart for RIM to go 512 on the 9650 since the 9630 has 256. Only change here is WiFi and trackpad.

04-08-10 07:08 AM
    i have a 4gb card, with about 2gb free... I'm using the phone how its ment to be used, for business reasons. i'm just being limited as to how much info i can carry. I know i'm going to run into a big problem when my new member site opens and support emails start coming in. I'll have to limit the my use and delete emails more often till I decide if I really want to stick with the BB or not. Its a great phone but this device space is getting annoying.
    That's not only wrong, but a stupid opinion. BlackBerry's are most definably not only business phones... that is very evident by RIM's marketing approach. There is absolutely no excuse for their flagship products to be carrying 256MB of memory and a 5 year old processor.
    04-08-10 09:20 AM
    That's not only wrong, but a stupid opinion. BlackBerry's are most definably not only business phones... that is very evident by RIM's marketing approach. There is absolutely no excuse for their flagship products to be carrying 256MB of memory and a 5 year old processor.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and take the unpopular position of defending RIM here.

The cpu in the 9700 is plenty fast enough for me. If the cpu is older, then it's likely cost effective tried-and-true refined technology instead of expensive bleeding edge. Still not convinced? Okay, they probably chose it because it stomps everything out there in terms of battery life. You can't have everything, and I personally (like most business users) prefer that my BlackBerry last days without charging than having it be some iPhone-like gaming platform which I'm lucky to get 24 hours out of.

I agree they should have more internal flash memory, but for all we know, the entire OS's memory management routines would have to be rewritten to accommodate a larger sized OS partition. And seriously, emails? How much space do they take up? Unless they each have 2MB attachments, you'll need an awful lot of them to "fill up" your 9700. Yes, 'some' phones are shipping with tons more memory, but they fail in several ways that RIM excels in. Like everything else, it's a trade-off.
    04-08-10 09:48 AM
    Ah, but having a multi-gigabyte label brings street cred and kudos from peers even if the memory is never used. It's probably a smartphone version of male genital enhancement by bigger car.
    04-08-10 09:54 AM
    Ah, but having a multi-gigabyte label brings street cred and kudos from peers even if the memory is never used. It's probably a smartphone version of male genital enhancement by bigger car.
    LOL... I think you've hit on it exactly
    04-08-10 10:03 AM
    My apps are, Yahoo, Facebk, Twitter, LinkedIn, BBmsg, AP Mobile News, BeWeather, TeleMap, B of A, Discover, Paypal, Ebay, App World, OnMyWay, Bing, Flixster/Movies, Google Voice, Wifi Transfer, PhotoNote, Blink, Google Mobile App, Speedtest, SpoofApp, ZonaSnap, QuickLaunch, Yelp, Tripcase, Aloqa, Ing Direct, BerryMail, iLock, BBSSH, Loopt, FileScout, Chess, Next Dual Pack, Reversi...

I have 8 email accounts on my phone. I do a lot of emailing and sms'ing and I need to save majority of the emails for reference as well as sms'. I have text messages as far back as 10/2009 since its threaded I can also reference back.

right now i have around 88mb free. I just went through an deleted a bunch of emails and sms. I would of liked to of kept but my space was getting too low. it's 2010 I shouldn't have to think about space like this when phone's are being shipped with 32gb of space on them. there is really no excuse for 256mb with 120-140mb free for the user. thats the type of space you would expect on a Motorola Razr flip phone not a business phone.
    Okay 1) 88mb is way more than enough to store insane amounts of emails and SMS. as in thousands, maybe even tens of thousands. Talk to a Storm user and say "I ONLY had 88mb free." They'd probably slap you.

2) I'm all for moving ahead into the future (bring on at least 1gb of flash space!), but for the time being 256 should be more than enough. I have 20+ applications and 6 themes and still have 108 mb free, with about 3,000 emails (never empty my inboxes since I got the phone 6 months ago) and I don't even know how many SMS messages because of the threading, but a lot. If you have 88mb free, there's absolutely no reason you should be deleting messages. I don't know what made you think you should be, but just forget that.

3) When apps only weigh 2-3 mb at most, 256 mb is a fair bit of space. Most utility applications are a few hundred KB! I think you need to do a little more research on how the flash memory works..or get a different phone and wait for emails.
    04-08-10 10:14 AM
    I'm going to go out on a limb and take the unpopular position of defending RIM here.

The cpu in the 9700 is plenty fast enough for me. If the cpu is older, then it's likely cost effective tried-and-true refined technology instead of expensive bleeding edge. Still not convinced? Okay, they probably chose it because it stomps everything out there in terms of battery life. You can't have everything, and I personally (like most business users) prefer that my BlackBerry last days without charging than having it be some iPhone-like gaming platform which I'm lucky to get 24 hours out of.

I agree they should have more internal flash memory, but for all we know, the entire OS's memory management routines would have to be rewritten to accommodate a larger sized OS partition. And seriously, emails? How much space do they take up? Unless they each have 2MB attachments, you'll need an awful lot of them to "fill up" your 9700. Yes, 'some' phones are shipping with tons more memory, but they fail in several ways that RIM excels in. Like everything else, it's a trade-off.
    I don't buy it. Newer processors aren't just faster, they are significantly more energy efficient. I am pretty certain RIM could use the SnapDragon processor and downclock it to 500Mhz. It would be faster and use a lot less power.

If they phone costs the same as the Droid or iPhone is should be equipped the same.
    04-08-10 01:22 PM
    No. Now leave us alone.

Sincerely,
    RIM
    04-08-10 02:55 PM
    Ah, but having a multi-gigabyte label brings street cred and kudos from peers even if the memory is never used. Its probably a smartphone version to male genital enhancement by bigger car.

That statement is silly at best. If you want to look at it like a car - why does anyone need more than a Yugo? It does everything a car is suppossed to do. Why do you need more than a 386sx computer? It was good enough to get me through law school. Heck, I have a partner in my firm - all he had was a Brother word processor.

It's time to stop burrying our head's in the ground when it comes to RIM. It doesn't take a genius to see that a vast majority of BB users also carry a some type of I-pod/touch as well (Even our beloved Kevin). People want a rich media experience. Doesn't matter if you don't. People do. The people who buy the cr*p out of Android, I-Phone and Windows Mobile. They like big, fast touchscreens and flashy OSes with lots of big fat applications. It doesn't matter what you or I personally like, that is the smartphone market's direction. Look at the expansion of the application market place for Android. Google and/or Apple is going to shortly have a 256bit secure push e-mail system able to wireless synch. It is going to happen. And then what? You think all the young urban professionals who carry I-phones and HTCs wont be screaming to dump there BBs, what about all the young hip staffers on the Hill, and their counterparts at the Pentagon? The dominoes will fall quickly. As it stands, developers find RIM's Java platform difficult to work with. They must do less, take more time and sell far less applications. It's not just Skyfire. Take a look at the game development for the S2. Even though Open GL ES is active it is virtually crippled from a sound perspective and most of 1.1 is not even available from a visual perspective, even if the hardware could handle it. Oh, and 'Snapdragons' are relatively inexpensive as is Flash memory.

But why have a 1Gig hard drive on the computer? It could never be filled? I heard that said a million times. If you develop the hardware the software will follow. The Need for Speed Shift game is 2-300 megs on other platforms, but only 2-3 megs total on BB. I love it. But what I think doesn't matter to the millions of consumers shaping the future of the marketplace.

BBs still truncate a ton of corporate e-mails (there are often long threads that are necessary to an understanding of a certain matter). BBs still limit downloads to 3 megs. Good luck opening up a large .pdf or structure charts to edit. BBs still can not play ring tones and alerts through the headphones or blue tooth devices. If really you think I want this stuff fixed because somehow I'm concerned about my ***** size or sexuality you might want to consider a seeing eye dog or in the very least a toe rope.
    04-08-10 03:28 PM
    T
    It's time to stop burrying our head's in the ground when it comes to RIM. It doesn't take a genius to see that a vast majority of BB users also carry a some type of I-pod/touch as well (Even our beloved Kevin). People want a rich media experience. Doesn't matter if you don't. People do. The people who buy the cr*p out of Android, I-Phone and Windows Mobile. They like big, fast touchscreens and flashy OSes with lots of big fat applications. It doesn't matter what you or I personally like, that is the smartphone market's direction. Look at the expansion of the application market place for Android. Google and/or Apple is going to shortly have a 256bit secure push e-mail system able to wireless synch. It is going to happen. And then what? You think all the young urban professionals who carry I-phones and HTCs wont be screaming to dump there BBs, what about all the young hip staffers on the Hill, and their counterparts at the Pentagon? The dominoes will fall quickly. As it stands, developers find RIM's Java platform difficult to work with. They must do less, take more time and sell far less applications. It's not just Skyfire. Take a look at the game development for the S2. Even though Open GL ES is active it is virtually crippled from a sound perspective and most of 1.1 is not even available from a visual perspective, even if the hardware could handle it. Oh, and 'Snapdragons' are relatively inexpensive as is Flash memory.
    But BlackBerries work well for many people, who are you to tell everyone they must change and accept new devices from RIM? Everyone is free to buy Android or iPhone. What is this, "you have to accept change and adapt", just go buy something else.
    04-08-10 03:37 PM
    apps memory hasnt been uploaded yet...
    still 256 MB...after installing OS..you have 128 MB for apps..
    if we think apps 1MB...you can set 128 apps up..
    that's enough but not expected ....
    i don't care 2GB internal memory..
    i still can buy 32GB SD card for my media files..
    04-08-10 03:48 PM
    I'm on BB because like millions of others in Defense, law, goverment, etc.. it is required that I have a BB. Since it is required, (at least for now) I want to see development keep up with the rest of the marketplace. If I could put an HTC on my server I would do it in a heartbeat.

Memory like other hardware resources are quickly utilized by software developers to make better and better programing. BB applications aren't so small because they don't need to be bigger, they're small because they have no chooice. If there was 2 gigs just for applications, as opposed to generally less than 100 megs, developers would develop to that size.

But don't turn this on its head and say I'm forcing anything. It is by far and overwhelmingly true that those who are Berried By Force of Profession that want to see these changes. Others will and have just left the platform. I want to know why if I can't or shouldn't be able to have a 1ghz snapdragon BB with 32gigs of space allocated for apps and media? Is the 9700 that much cheaper than the HTC HD2 or 3GS? No - its not. Why shouldn't we push for non-truncated e-mail? I'm sure it's good enough for you, but if you take a front page poll on it, I bet most want it changed. 3 meg download limit? Why is this necessary. Because you personally are scared ****less of change? Alerts through the headphones or bluetooth? Is it a moral or religous objection to my push here? More open APIs? Look if you don't want to download games or appliocations - then don't. I swear on the life of my children I will never force you to download a game or any application for that matter. But why do you want to stop so many others from having a rich multimedia experience? Or are you just a real ***** and want to argue. Because I don't get why anyone would object to something they claim to like/love being better. Atari was a great platform, CRTs had the best color reproduction, analog tv was sufficient, and the Motorala Razor was a fine phone and my 386sx had enough RAM to run Windows 98 which could do word processing and surf the internet. Fighting those of us who routinely call out RIM for not moving forward helps no one, and least of all RIM or those who want to have a BB into the future.
    04-08-10 04:01 PM
    I'm on BB because like millions of others in Defense, law, goverment, etc.. it is required that I have a BB. Since it is required, (at least for now) I want to see development keep up with the rest of the marketplace. If I could put an HTC on my server I would do it in a heartbeat.
    Then go convincing your company but don't force your agenda on others. BlackBerries are popular for certain reasons, including efficiency, manageability and price. And for many users, even those who own them as a personal device, these count the most.

Companies don't care about keeping up with specs and paying top dollar every year when a new model comes out, and so are many users of BlackBerries.

No one is preventing you from buying a personal device of your choosing. Be happy with what you get for free from your company or buy your own.
    04-08-10 04:06 PM
    But BlackBerries work well for many people, who are you to tell everyone they must change and accept new devices from RIM? Everyone is free to buy Android or iPhone. What is this, "you have to accept change and adapt", just go buy something else.
    Synth- he is just making an observation as to the direction of the smartphone market and industry. And he is right. You love your 9700 so why do you care if OS6 on RIM looks like sense UI? Keep using that 9700. You don't have to change. Everything else just has a way of doing that around you.

04-08-10 04:16 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD