My home WiFi network uses WEP, and I have no issues using it with my BB. The question that I have is if I upgrade my security to WPA, or WPA2, will my BB be able to use the WiFi?
    03-27-08 10:55 AM
    Yes, I experimented with several security setting and they all worked correctly.
    03-28-08 03:12 PM
    I have WEP security too on my home network and I was wondering if I have to enter the whole key every time or is there a way to save it and just log in as I do with my laptop?
    03-29-08 09:11 AM
    Mine saved the connection including the key, getting a connections was automatic.

I would delete that connection and start fresh. When you have located and logged on, you should be prompted to "Save" the connection.
    03-29-08 12:31 PM
    Yeah the other ones work just fine with blackberry. everyone should be using wpa or wpa2 because wep is very easy to hack. Ur average ***** can watch a youtube video and learn to hack ur wep. Using wpa2 doesn't slow down anything, it just protects ur network better. U might wanna also look at not broadcasting ur ssid. That's another good way of protecting urself. if ur ssid is not broadcasted then when people scan for networks urs wont show up. it doesnt mean its not there, its just u have to enter the ssid manually and only u know the ssid. mac filtering is also another step that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by avmsam; 04-07-08 at 05:04 AM.
    emam likes this.
    04-05-08 02:54 AM
    Ive tried all of the above. If anyone can guide me let me know. I am now using WPA and a Dlink router DIR628...Help
    11-27-08 12:12 PM
    Oh yeah was working perfectly before. Help.
    11-27-08 12:13 PM
    if you change to WEP the BB will work every time. With WPA or WPA-2 it works sometimes. I think it depends on the router -- tech support for my router insisted that the only way BB works is WEP ("we get lots of calls about this") (Trendnet wi-n). But BB allows for WPA/WPA-2 in the settings so it seems like it "should" work. I suspect eventually BB will patch or update software to alleviate this problem. Meantime if you are one of us, seems like you have to go WEP. For the rest of you, the problem really does exist, we're not complete fools (well, mostly).
    03-17-09 10:44 AM
    Yeah, I agree, WEP seems to work more consistently than WPA. I was able to connect to my work's WPA-Enterprise connection before, but now, I can't. A few other people at work, all Blacbkerry users also can no longer connect, however, those with iToys (iPhone, iTouch) can still connect
    03-17-09 09:46 PM
    WPA-PSK is working great for me. My history with WIFI.
    I went with WIFI because the cell phone reception in my older home is extremely bad. On one side of my house my WIFI was flawless. I could talk 30 minutes or more and never have a dropped call. The other side of my house I would get dropped calls after four minutes. I was dropping calls because the ify EDGE signal was slightly higher than the WIFI signal but not strong enough to handle the handover. Thinking it was the access point of my router (love that site survey option on the 8900) I followed one of the suggestions on this forum to purchase a WRE54G Range Expander. This worked great for the laptops but it was no help to the UMA with my router, even after the firmware upgrade as suggested in the forum. (The Expander is now for sale on a local classified website as a restock fee of $15 would be charged for returning.)

I am using 2wire 2701HG-D as a router from Qwest. I started researching my router on line. A Qwest tech suggested I change the NETWORK NAME, Recommended WPA-PSK, recommended changing the channel and increasing the power to a 10.

With these changes I am on a constant UMA now through out my entire house. Using the survey site I have walked all areas and the dbm does not go lower than -68 dbm. I am now a happy UMA caller.
    03-18-09 05:20 PM
    I am experiencing this problem now with a new playbook. At a certain point the playbook gives me an error (3001).
    So yes, the problem does exist.. Very frustrating.
    My next step is to use a WEP connection.
    12-08-12 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD