I'm planning to buy my first BB soon.

Is it true that I wont be able to surf internet/instant msg on my BB using Wifi unless i get a Data Plan activated through my service provider??

Pls advice.
    06-08-12 07:25 AM
    You can use the internet via Wifi on a Blackberry the same way you would use it on any other smartphone. The only thing you won't be able to use is Blackberry Messenger which requires a data plan.

Last year I got my nephew a Blackberry with a Social media plan. The plan allows him to use BBM, facebook and twitter but he still browses the internet and watches youtube videos via wifi.

The only reason i think someone wouldn't be able to access wifi on their BB is if they had one of those older models that don't have the wifi feature.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Jberry32; 06-08-12 at 07:36 AM.
    06-08-12 07:32 AM
    Oh thanks.

Actually i read about this is many forum threads that to surf internet with wifi one needs to have a plan activated. And by default BB uses that data plan to connect to the internet even if one attempts to surf using wifi. So to surf using wifi, one has to disable the service providers signal (in which case u cant receive/make calls or send/receive texts) and keep only the wifi switched on.

Sorry if i didnt make any sense here but i really need to be sure before i buy my first BB.
    06-08-12 08:12 AM
    This might answer some of your questions - What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

Your blackberry will use wifi over your carriers data if it is connected so no need to disable your mobile signal to surf via wifi
    06-08-12 08:26 AM
    Also I think you may need to put opera mini or? on it also. I think I've read the BB browser won't work, they may have changed that.
    06-08-12 08:46 AM
    Oh thanks.

Actually i read about this is many forum threads that to surf internet with wifi one needs to have a plan activated. And by default BB uses that data plan to connect to the internet even if one attempts to surf using wifi. So to surf using wifi, one has to disable the service providers signal (in which case u cant receive/make calls or send/receive texts) and keep only the wifi switched on.

Sorry if i didnt make any sense here but i really need to be sure before i buy my first BB.
    The part about turning off the mobile signal is absolutely not the case. A BB will connect to wifi automatically if an open access point or hot spot is available (well, you tell it to connect, or log in if a password is needed, but it will remember that one from then on).

You have to remember that there are different data plans as they relate to the BB. The normal carrier mobile data plan, and BlackBerry BIS data.

I'm on this forum's mobile site so I don't know of you listed where you're from in you profile, but in North America, any time you get a BB on contract, you get the carrier data plan and the BB BIS data plan together at no additional cost. In other parts of the world, the BIS plan is extra, and sometimes you might get different levels of BIS service - like only email and BBM or internet access and BBM, or any other combination or all of those. Different carriers have different options. But you have to have BIS access to use the phone's native data features (browser, email, App World, BBM...).

Wifi simply gives you another route to the BIS servers. You are still using BIS data, except that it's running over wifi and not over your carrier's mobile data (and you don't get ping'ed against your mobile data usage if you have a capped plan). But, the switch is automatic. You don't have to do anything. Pretty much the same as with any other phone in that regard.
    06-08-12 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD