Software Token:

BlackBerry Infrastructure
    Address Used:
    IP Used:
    Connecting: Error
    Authenticating router: N/A
    Authenticating server: N/A
    Last Contact At:

Okay I don't know if that helps, but I have tried a bunch of fixes, and nothing has worked. I can not get the wifi to work.
    Help?
    Last edited by emilysnake; 09-19-10 at 03:12 PM.
    09-16-10 03:37 AM
    Can u confirm if ur wireless router which is ur Gateway is correct?
    Gateway Address: 192.168.1.254

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 05:13 AM
    If you use MAC address filtering on your router have you added the address of the phone on to it?
    09-16-10 06:27 AM
    My modem/router says a different default gateway but I've tried to manually put all that into my phone, it didn't work.

I don't know if I have that... wouldn't know how to change it either.

And I don't know how to change it to a WPA.

I haven't messed around with routers or modems so I really have no knowledge of them, so that's probably why I can't get it to connect lol.
    09-16-10 01:14 PM
    Make sure you are running OS 714! its solves the issues with WiFi
    09-16-10 01:44 PM
    I had an issue when we bought a new router. Instead of allowing it to "auto" select the channel, I changed it to a fixed number...bam...hooked up and worked.
    09-16-10 01:49 PM
    Are you aware that when someone only allows certain MAC addresses, regardless of the OS you/they/we are using, it simply WILL NOT CONNECT... make you deal, next time you are in Cincinnati Ohio i want you connect to my mobile HotSpot.
    09-16-10 01:57 PM
    Do you know the password to access the router?

If you have access to the router, turn off the security, including MAC address filtering. First, make sure you can connect. Then, turn on security.
    If you have access to another wireless device, try to connect with them. If neither connects, the problem is probably something in the router, be it security or MAC filtering or bad password. If one connects and the other doesn't, it's probably the device.
    If you still can't connect, go to a local coffee shop that offers free wifi and try to connect there.

Notice I never suggested altering your installed OS........

09-16-10 02:38 PM
    At another computer connected to the same modem/router/ap try the following command within a DOS/shell session.

ping 192.168.1.254 {ENTER}

What response is generated? What is the IP address of the computer?

ipconfig {ENTER}
    09-16-10 02:46 PM
    Are you aware that when someone only allows certain MAC addresses, regardless of the OS you/they/we are using, it simply WILL NOT CONNECT... make you deal, next time you are in Cincinnati Ohio i want you connect to my mobile HotSpot.
    I'm pretty sure I don't have any mac address thing 2wire doesn't seem to have anything about that when I search it or looked in the settings

Also, Telus' highest version is v 5.0.0.442
    That is what I have

And yes I can get into my router/modem
    I know the passwords I can change anything to it

Also aslo
    I cannot connect ANYWHERE else
    I ALWAYS get a white slash
    I've tried at starbucks, safeway, my dads router....
    Last edited by emilysnake; 09-16-10 at 03:00 PM.
    09-16-10 02:56 PM
    I'm pretty sure I don't have any mac address thing 2wire doesn't seem to have anything about that when I search it or looked in the settings

Also, Telus' highest version is v 5.0.0.442
    That is what I have

And yes I can get into my router/modem
    I know the passwords I can change anything to it
    if you have other items connecting to the router i'm sure it's not a MAC address. but for someone to throw out there "USE OS XXX" that not the problem if you cannot even connect.
    09-16-10 03:00 PM
    I think I see the problem.. gateway.2wire.net

I have a few friends with 2wire Wireless Router/DSL modems and I've yet to get my BB to connect properly to any of them with WEP. I'm not sure what those devices do. And, it's not just my 9700, my 9000 would not connect and my Andriod (Archos) Internet Tablet will not connect.

Disable WEP, it works. (NOT RECOMMENDED!!)

I don't have a fix, but I can replicate the problem. My Best Friend and the Future Mrs both have these 2Wire Units and I can't get anyone's mobile devices to connect.

I can get my future step-daughter's iPad to connect with the WEP, but not her friends iPhone. ???

And, the 2Wire does have the MAC address filtering in the advanced settings.
    09-16-10 03:00 PM
    Oh, and if you google "Blackberry 2Wire WiFi" you'll find an overload of other people having this problem.

Wifi Problems - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

In one case, I just turned off the WiFi and router functions in the 2Wire (Set it to BRIDGED mode). Then, bought a cheap, Linksys wireless router, set it with the DSL's PPPoE log in info and BINGO, in business!
    09-16-10 03:04 PM
    I've seen some routers that come defaulted to 192.168.1.254 as their address, so this doesn't supprise me at all.

The fact your bb has an IP of 192.168.1.70, complete with a subnet, a gateway, and a DNS server listed shows that you are successfully connecting to the router.

One way you can test connectivity is instead of choosing the wifi diagnostics, choose the Ping utility, and have it ping 4.2.2.2 Do that with the cellular radio off, and the wifi only on. If it resolves then the issue isn't a connectivity issue per say. At that point for some reason it's not able to setup a VPN tunnel with the RIM servers. Dig around in your router and see if there is anything VPN related that might be blocking such a tunnel.
    09-16-10 03:06 PM
    I've seen some routers that come defaulted to 192.168.1.254 as their address, so this doesn't supprise me at all.

The fact your bb has an IP of 192.168.1.70, complete with a subnet, a gateway, and a DNS server listed shows that you are successfully connecting to the router.

One way you can test connectivity is instead of choosing the wifi diagnostics, choose the Ping utility, and have it ping 4.2.2.2 Do that with the cellular radio off, and the wifi only on. If it resolves then the issue isn't a connectivity issue per say. At that point for some reason it's not able to setup a VPN tunnel with the RIM servers. Dig around in your router and see if there is anything VPN related that might be blocking such a tunnel.
    I got ping success, alright I will look for VPN stuff now I guess.

ty
    09-16-10 03:23 PM
    I never thought about the BIS connection basically being a VPN tunnel.

I don't remember the 2Wire supporting VPN pass-through last time I was in the Advanced settings, but that's where it would be.

Maybe I can get the future Mrs to let me remote into her PC tonight so I can poke around in her 2Wire's settings... (Man, that sounds a little Kinky!! LOL!!)
    09-16-10 03:32 PM
    lol
    Yes does sound a bit... err..

Anyway, my telus support is a bit useless but I think I am getting it to work but I didn't change anything to do with VPN and it still has a white dash but I got on the hotspot browser with no mobile thing
    09-16-10 03:51 PM
    I called telus and all they told me to do was a clean reload which did nothing.

No one could tell me much about anything else grr :<

"When the Wi-Fi symbol is gray it means that the Blackberry can not connect with the RIM servers. The problem could be with your Blackberry, router, your ISP, the Internet or RIM. Usually if the problem isn't with your router there is someone else looking at it, so if the problem persists, I would suspect your router/Blackberry."
    Does that mean anything
    Last edited by emilysnake; 09-16-10 at 05:00 PM.
    09-16-10 04:54 PM
    lol man cmon now its getting a bit pathetic... all the problems people talk about you just have one solutio which is to reload OS c mon buddy ! Its fun @ times but when you just keep saying same thing over and over it becomes a bit annoying if you can not help. My advice would be to remain shut and google the problem and then help the person. If all issues are related to OS upgrades or downgrades then seriously i would be the first one ever to give away my BB and switch to some other phone..
    09-16-10 04:59 PM
    From what I have found, BlackBerry's connect to RIM's servers over port 443 which is an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) tunnel, and if UMA/GAN is involved, that uses a VPN tunnel over ports 500 and 4500. So I was right.......and wrong.

I don't have the time right now to search 2wire's documentation to see how it reacts to a constant SSL connection. But the address your blackberry is trying to connect to is na.blackberry.com:443. From your PC, open a command prompt and type "tracert na.blackberry.com" without the quotes and post what you get here. I'm currious.
    09-16-10 05:29 PM
    Now that it was mentioned, I got my wife's and my Berries to connect @ my parent's half a year ago, but I couldn't get my daughter's iPod Touch to connect more recently. They have a 2Wire router as well.

Hhhmmmmmmmmm............

09-16-10 05:36 PM
    From what I have found, BlackBerry's connect to RIM's servers over port 443 which is an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) tunnel, and if UMA/GAN is involved, that uses a VPN tunnel over ports 500 and 4500. So I was right.......and wrong.

I don't have the time right now to search 2wire's documentation to see how it reacts to a constant SSL connection. But the address your blackberry is trying to connect to is na.blackberry.com:443. From your PC, open a command prompt and type "tracert na.blackberry.com" without the quotes and post what you get here. I'm currious.

It starts something and suddenly closes
    09-16-10 08:35 PM
    Anyone figured anymore out?
    09-17-10 06:33 PM
    To run the trace route without it closing right out, click on start, go to run and type in CMD and press enter.

That will open the command prompt. Then run the tracrt command: "tracert na.blackberry.com"(without quotes)
    Get a print screen of that.
    Then, run the command again as ""tracert na.blackberry.com:443"and see if it connects on the SSL port.
    09-17-10 08:27 PM
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>tracert na.blackberry.com

Tracing route to a1325.b.akamai.net [208.38.45.166]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 4 ms 1 ms home [192.168.1.254]
    2 20 ms 15 ms 15 ms d75-155-136-254.bchsia.telus.net [75.155.136.254
    ]
    3 17 ms 17 ms 16 ms 173.182.196.34
    4 * * * Request timed out.
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 27 ms 27 ms 29 ms 154.11.10.186
    7 32 ms 25 ms 27 ms CLGRAB21DR02.bb.telus.com [208.38.16.146]
    8 27 ms 31 ms 33 ms clgrab31dr01.bb.telus.com [205.233.111.88]
    9 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms host97.24.38.208.in-addr.arpa [208.38.24.97]
    10 29 ms 33 ms 28 ms a208-38-45-166.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com [20
    8.38.45.166]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\User>tracert na.blackberry.com:443
    Unable to resolve target system name na.blackberry.com:443.

Second one didn't do anything as you can see
    09-18-10 01:28 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD