Please let me know if this should be in another thread/forum...

Bought my first BlackBerry this month, a curve 8330.

I'm looking for the capability to call up the date planner and contact list on my laptop or desktop.

Using Palm Pilots in the past, was able to take a club or work schedule or extensive contact list, type it into an app on my computer and then synch the desktop and handheld.

I'm looking for the capability to do the same between my laptop or desktop and my handheld BlackBerry.

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably-priced app and steer me away from the junk?

Thanks in advance.
    11-07-09 01:29 PM
    Yes, it's called Microsoft Outlook.

Alternately, you can use Google Sync.
    11-07-09 01:38 PM
    Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably-priced app and steer me away from the junk?
    Motorcycle Mama's recommendation is exactly right. Microsoft Outlook is your best bet. Alternatively, you can use Google Sync. Just pick one or the other.

I STRONGLY recommend that you do NOT try using both at the same time. When I tried Google Sync with my Outlook, it completely scrambled my Outlook.

Franklin Covey has 3rd-party planner apps but I don't really think they add anything and are a wasre of time. My recommendation is to go with Outlook.
    11-07-09 02:18 PM
    Thanks for the response and recommendations on MS Outlook. The challenge I've had with Outlook in the past was downloading email onto my desktop and then making it inaccessible for me while mobile or on another computer w/Internet access - sometimes across the country or even overseas.

I had a sys admin tell me he would change the settings so the emails would not be removed from the email server by Outlook, but it hasn't worked properly (yet?).

Can I use Outlook as a planner without using email, or can I change the "download" setting myself?

Or...should I go with Google Sync instead?

Thanks in advance.
    11-09-09 10:05 AM
    Google Sync is nice. It works flawlessly for now with one way sync integration. But with OS 5 for all devices, it will be two way.

Too bad yahoo dropped out of this. They had two way for a while.
    11-09-09 10:09 AM
    Can I use Outlook as a planner without using email, or can I change the "download" setting myself?
    Yes you can but you wouldn't be able to send out calendar invite.

It is a very easy setting to change.

For Outlook 2007
    Go to your account settings (it is in the Tools menu)
    Select the email account and click change
    Go to More Settings
    Go to the Advanced Tab
    Check the Leave Messages on the Server
    You can also set the two items below it. Personally I have it remove after 15 days so I'm not clogging my email server unnecessarily. (I do weekly backups so that would give me two chances for a restore before I start to lose those emails.) I also have it remove when deleted from the Deleted Folder.
    11-11-09 09:22 AM
    You can also do it with Groupwise from Novell, but the whole platform with that program generally sucks. We use it at work and it syncs just fine but the user interface and functionality are a joke. Then again, our IT dept is a joke so why shouldn't the e-mail server be the same.
    11-11-09 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD