05-26-09 04:37 PM
    I'm only 2 pages in and I've already wanted to yell at this guy like 10 times...he's just an iphone lover who didn't bother to learn how to use his bb efficiently.
    05-26-09 05:21 PM
    I'm only 2 pages in and I've already wanted to yell at this guy like 10 times...he's just an iphone lover who didn't bother to learn how to use his bb efficiently.
    Have you ever used an iPhone? Not just touched it and clicked a few buttons, but actually used it as your main phone?
    05-26-09 05:28 PM
    Have you ever used an iPhone? Not just touched it and clicked a few buttons, but actually used it as your main phone?
    I can say that I have not, but I also didn't write an extensive article for pcworld claiming that it was time to bury the iphone, as he suggested we do with the blackberry. I don't love apple, I admit it, but a lot of the negative things this guy is talking about are not common problems. Or his assertion that document editing it limited by the keyboard and trackball, which is just a preference. I hate touch screens and like normal keyboards. I also don't need a giant screen to be able to read.

So to clarify, I'm not hating on the iphone, I'm hating on this guy that is writing an article based on an opinion he most likely had before he started his test. And even if it wasn't a previously held opinion, his bad experience doesn't exactly qualify as reason for everyone to use iphones for business and ditch bb.
    05-26-09 05:36 PM
    The iPhone is not my choice, however, there is only one thing in
    the article I disagree with. BlacBerry will always win out in the
    E-Mail arena to me.

Aside from that I see no bashing of the BlackBerry. Just one
    reviewers objective opinion.
    05-26-09 05:38 PM
    Yeah, and reviewers are a dime-a-dozen.
    05-26-09 05:41 PM
    Yeah, and reviewers are a dime-a-dozen.
    As are some of the the blind, Kool-Aid sipping opinions found here.
    The article is not a bash.
    05-26-09 05:44 PM
    The iPhone is not my choice, however, there is only one thing in
    the article I disagree with. BlacBerry will always win out in the
    E-Mail arena to me.

Aside from that I see no bashing of the BlackBerry. Just one
    reviewers objective opinion.
    The iPhone and BB offer fundamentally different email solutions.

The Blackberry syncs through a BES which exchanges UDP pings through their Exchange(or other servers). When a email comes in to the Exchange mailbox, the E3/E7 server sends the BES a ping, if the BES responds, email is delivered. It's pretty close to real-time, and as soon as you get a new email flag in your BB, your BB has that new email, instantly.

The iPhone uses push notifications and syncs via ActiveSync through OWA. When a email arrives, all that changes is the red dot above email.. that's IT. If you lose connectivity, you wont see those new emails. You also need to open "Mail" for it to download those emails.. It doesn't pre-download them like Blackberry's do.

If you can't get over that hump of how it syncs, you wont ever like the email. With that being said, the "email" device called BlackBerry, does HTML email horribly.

Thankfully, I rely on, as well as hate email.. so it doesn't bother me because truely, I dont want to receive emails. =P
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-26-09 at 05:49 PM.
    05-26-09 05:46 PM
    Well he compares using a blackberry to torture on numerous occasions, calls it inferiour, and says rim should be ashamed. If it's not a bash it at least plays the part well.
    05-26-09 05:52 PM
    Well he compares using a blackberry to torture on numerous occasions, calls it inferiour, and says rim should be ashamed. If it's not a bash it at least plays the part well.
    He also bashes the iPhone. one negative to another cancels itself out.
    05-26-09 05:55 PM
    He also bashes the iPhone. one negative to another cancels itself out.
    Fair enough :-)

But I have a feeling he was a bit harder on the bb.
    05-26-09 06:00 PM
    Fair enough :-)

But I have a feeling he was a bit harder on the bb.
    I think what, at the end of the day, he's referring to is the fact that RIM has been making the Blackberry and OS alot longer than Apple has been making the iPhone and OS.. yet he points to that some things on the iPhone are just plain and simply easier.

Yet, the matured OS on the Blackberry, it's still kind of difficult/tedious to do basic things..

I think that is ultimately what he's pointing to in the article.
    05-26-09 06:06 PM
    Wow, the only point I agree on is the terrible BB UI. Thats it. The Curve also beat the iPhone as the best selling smartphone last quarter didn't it?
    05-26-09 06:11 PM
    Wow, the only point I agree on is the terrible BB UI. Thats it. The Curve also beat the iPhone as the best selling smartphone last quarter didn't it?
    That's because it was a buy-one-get-one free deal.
    05-26-09 06:20 PM
    One thing he didn't mention was the iPhone's lack of a universal inbox for all email. I have 5 email accounts. When I get an email, I don't know which inbox it is in. So I have to search for my own email. No notification profiles. Oh no search feature yet. The UI although pretty and elegant, is not meant for power users who need to send rapid emails and texts. My iPhone often gets a backlog of emails that haven't been sent.

One thing that was a complete false statement is app organization. I have 7 pages of apps on my iphone. Finding a particular app can be a bear. The bb has something called folders in the homescreen which allows somethig called organization. BB also allows the use of hotkeys. Push "T" and you go to tasks etc. He made a few valid points. Mostly it was just a big apple love fest.
    05-26-09 06:26 PM
    One thing he didn't mention was the iPhone's lack of a universal inbox for all email. I have 5 email accounts. When I get an email, I don't know which inbox it is in. So I have to search for my own email. No notification profiles. Oh no search feature yet. The UI although pretty and elegant, is not meant for power users who need to send rapid emails and texts. My iPhone often gets a backlog of emails that haven't been sent.

One thing that was a complete false statement is app organization. I have 7 pages of apps on my iphone. Finding a particular app can be a bear. The bb has something called folders in the homescreen which allows somethig called organization. BB also allows the use of hotkeys. Push "T" and you go to tasks etc. He made a few valid points. Mostly it was just a big apple love fest.
    having used a Iphone for a long time myself. I can say that some of the things he states are true..

however the iPhone is way stronger in the multimedia portion but doesn't come anywhere close in terms of business uses emailing and such.

Third party apps were never a big deal for me on the iPhone. I mean I had a few and only one of them I actually miss.

really its a personal preference but iPhone does not stand a chance in the emailing ability no way no how..
    05-26-09 08:01 PM
    Another fact he mentioned but glossed over was the fact the iPhone is tied to AT&T (and possibly moving to Verizon). For those who travel, that can be a huge deal killer. No matter what AT&T advertises, when I go head-to-head against an AT&T phone with my TMo in Europe or Asia, I know I'm going to be able to connect. Can't tell you how many long-time AT&T subscribers I've moved to TMo for that one reason. And if you need a phone with PDA/Email, and you're not in the US, AT&T devices just don't cut it the same way.

Also wondered why he got hung up about Google Maps. I have them on my 8900. Are they not available on the Bold?
    05-26-09 08:32 PM
    I had an iPhone when I lived in Japan and the email thing bugged me, even though I was and still am a die hard BB fan I think the only thing that the iPhone has over the BB is apps. PERIOD.
    05-26-09 08:36 PM
    I am strongly in favor of upgrading to a Blackberry in a few months when it comes time to renew my contract. The only thing that iPhone has going for it is it's music player. I wouldn't care to have to send it in with $100 when the battery dies.
    05-26-09 09:14 PM
    I am strongly in favor of upgrading to a Blackberry in a few months when it comes time to renew my contract. The only thing that iPhone has going for it is it's music player. I wouldn't care to have to send it in with $100 when the battery dies.
    The battery is a weak point of the iPhone everywhere you look. And you can't carry a spare because it's built-in. Carry charger and hope you can use it. It is what it is, and it's not battery friendly at all.
    05-26-09 09:21 PM
    Also wondered why he got hung up about Google Maps. I have them on my 8900. Are they not available on the Bold?
    Yes they're available for the bold he just ignored that and used the most popular one on app world. Blatantly ignoring useful info to further his pro iphone agenda
    05-26-09 10:45 PM
    oh, and I don't mind the bb music player either, sure it's not pretty, but it sounds fine. and i might be mistaken but doesn't bb support more types of media?
    05-26-09 10:48 PM
    oh, and I don't mind the bb music player either, sure it's not pretty, but it sounds fine. and i might be mistaken but doesn't bb support more types of media?

Yes it does and this is the one case where more is less. The media player on
    every BlackBerry is an abysmal failure when compared to the iPhone, or for that
    matter the cheapest standalone media player. And that is not simply a matter
    of aesthetics but in quality of sound, regardless of if the sound is played via
    the on-board speaker or a good set of headphones or speakers.
    05-26-09 10:56 PM
    I guess the reviewer should have compared the Storm to the iPhone, as comparing a physical keyboard smartphone with a touchscreen one seems a bit uneven to me. I also wonder how a comparison between the iPhone and the G1 (post-Cupcake possibly?) would result.

I guess the iPhone "wow factor" had a bit of a major role in this article that I posted.
    05-27-09 12:01 AM
    I'm dissapointed in this bias article straight in this dude is bashing our BB. I also never see the iphone taking over corp. 100%. I like apple in certain areas but BB vs. Iphone? Please! Why are they still writing about it. BB's kick a** all iphone has is a sweet app worl(no denying that 1)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 06:06 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD