I bought a BB mainly because of battery life, which is very good compared to winmo and especially vs iphone. But now that I own one, I can say that the BB is hands down the best messaging platform there is. Both of those things were completely overlooked in the article. I guess nobody needs those things anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 09:16 AM
    REGARDLESS of what "some guy" says about it, i love my Blackberry Bold, i dont have any problems with e-mail and it works wonderfully as a phone....his opinion means nothing to me and i am in no way sour about his review....to each is own and i own Blackberry...i am not in anyway more impressed by the i-phone than my Bold, plus i HATE HATE HATE touch screen phones...a hybrid maybe, but i dont do all touch screen
    05-27-09 10:14 AM
    i HATE HATE HATE touch screen phones
    That is exactly why the iPhone could become the greatest phone ever known to man with blessings directly from the gods, and it will never completely replace the BlackBerry and other phones with actual keyboards. Too many people dislike touch-screen-only phones.
    05-27-09 10:28 AM
    iPhones can't multi-task.....

BB's are better for that reason alone.
    05-27-09 10:34 AM
    iPhones can't multi-task.....

BB's are better for that reason alone.
    Yes they can. People confuse that word "can't" like it's impossible, it's simply not capable of MT'ing. It can, and does it well if you jailbreak it.

Just because Apple chose performance over a feature doesn't mean it can't be done.

What happens to a BB when you run a few programs in the BG? a few hours go by and you have no memory, the constant hourglass, very sluggish speed and it requires a battery pull.

Those few reasons are why Apple chose to not include it outside of their apps.
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-27-09 at 11:00 AM.
    05-27-09 10:58 AM
    It can, and does it well if you jailbreak it.
    Yeah, but... most normal folk don't jailbreak their iPhones. From their point of view, for all intents and purposes, it doesn't multitask.

Look at it this way... say Joe Consumer goes down to their AT&T store and asks them if the iPhone multitasks. Are the AT&T employees going to say, "yes, but you have to jailbreak it first and install all these applications and stuff," or are they going to say, "Nope"? My bet's on something like the latter, and that's what the majority of iPhone users are going to take as gospel.
    05-27-09 11:30 AM
    Yeah, but... most normal folk don't jailbreak their iPhones. From their point of view, for all intents and purposes, it doesn't multitask.

Look at it this way... say Joe Consumer goes down to their AT&T store and asks them if the iPhone multitasks. Are the AT&T employees going to say, "yes, but you have to jailbreak it first and install all these applications and stuff," or are they going to say, "Nope"? My bet's on something like the latter, and that's what the majority of iPhone users are going to take as gospel.
    By your methodology, than normal people don't install leaked betas on their Blackberry.. yet there's 1.1 million of them on this site.
    05-27-09 11:34 AM
    By your methodology, than normal people don't install leaked betas on their Blackberry
    That is correct.

yet there's 1.1 million of them on this site.
    I can absolutely guarantee you that not all 1.1 million users on this site have leaked betas on their BBs. I can further guarantee you that the users on this site who do have leaked betas are a small percentage of the number of BB users out there, most of who do NOT have leaked betas on their devices.

EDIT: See this thread on this very site where the OP says, "I'm not someone that understands upgrading the OS and adding on tons of features and apps - or troubleshooting. I just want a phone that works seamlessly as it is."
    Last edited by iamtim; 05-27-09 at 11:53 AM.
    05-27-09 11:44 AM
    That thread has 4 replies.. not really a groundbreaking all-for-one thread..
    05-27-09 11:56 AM
    The article irritated me. Things the iPhone can do better than BlackBerry, and things that the BlackBerry Bold can do better than iPhone.

I don't like the iPhone. Never did. I have always found myself to be a person who likes to explore a phone, see what it can and handle with the complexities it comes with. It just makes me feel more at ease when I've been able to conquer my phone settings and know where things are.

With the iPhone, everything is in one place, with so many applications, I would'nt even use half of them. My brother has it, he loves it, but all he raves about is the applications. Applications? Really? That's it? Ok, not really impressed by just a phone with applications, as the only applications I use on my Bold are simplistic in thier own way, I don't need all the zazz in my phone. Some people like being wowed. I do, but not with a phone I intend to use for my business. I've always felt that if I had an iPhone, and still feel this way, that by owning one, your a total f*g. Why? Probably because you look ridiculous pressing on a screen with half a brain at trying to calculate a tip or finding a speed trap. I just laugh at that.

I like being able to use my scroll wheel. Have simple things on my Bold, and only because I don't use it as a toy or music player, or youtube 24/7. I'm getting older, I am not falling in love with something I have to touch the screen on every minute. I like my physical QWERTY, I like my push email, and I love my Bold and everything it comes with it.

Those are my two cents.
    05-27-09 11:58 AM
    What happens to a BB when you run a few programs in the BG? a few hours go by and you have no memory, the constant hourglass, very sluggish speed and it requires a battery pull.
    Yea no. I CONSTANTLY multitask on my phone, handles it fine.

Also, please keep the "well XX phone can do that but you have to jailbreak/install a leak" comments out of this. The fact of the matter is the BB can do, and is better at, certain things when compared to the iPhone, just like the iPhone can do, and is better at, certain things than BBs. There are millions of people out there who do not want to "hack" their phone to access certain features.

To the point, that article was stupid. I stopped reading shortly after the "seemingly endless pages of the email setup" retardation. It sounded like he just didn't want to take the time to properly learn to use either device, bias aside.

I do find it funny the reviewer whines about the BB not having good folder support in email, then slams its folder support for apps. I like the folders, keeps things neat, I hate the sea of icons on the iPhone.
    Last edited by Joel S.; 05-27-09 at 12:01 PM.
    05-27-09 11:58 AM
    That thread has 4 replies.. not really a groundbreaking all-for-one thread..
    I'm just saying... you can't assume that because the power elite here on forums like this find it easy and desirable to jailbreak their iPhones or install leaked betas on their BlackBerrys means that *everyone* does it.

The vast majority of iPhone/BlackBerry users out there just want their device to work. They don't care about jailbreaking or leaked betas.
    05-27-09 11:59 AM
    I'm just saying... you can't assume that because the power elite here on forums like this find it easy and desirable to jailbreak their iPhones or install leaked betas on their BlackBerrys means that *everyone* does it.

The vast majority of iPhone/BlackBerry users out there just want their device to work. They don't care about jailbreaking or leaked betas.
    Well, look at the threads with the leaked beta downloads.. they are always FULL of people wanting to install it on their phone.

I've been on this site for 2 years now, and it's always the same. A thread posts with a leaked beta, and the mass flocks to it. Just because someone doesn't post that they appreciate it/thanked the OP, doesn't mean they didn't click the DL and install it.
    05-27-09 12:04 PM
    Yea no. I CONSTANTLY multitask on my phone, handles it fine.

Also, please keep the "well XX phone can do that but you have to jailbreak/install a leak" comments out of this. The fact of the matter is the BB can do, and is better at, certain things when compared to the iPhone, just like the iPhone can do, and is better at, certain things than BBs. There are millions of people out there who do not want to "hack" their phone to access certain features.

To the point, that article was stupid. I stopped reading shortly after the "seemingly endless pages of the email setup" retardation. It sounded like he just didn't want to take the time to properly learn to use either device, bias aside.

I do find it funny the reviewer whines about the BB not having good folder support in email, then slams its folder support for apps. I like the folders, keeps things neat, I hate the sea of icons on the iPhone.
    Handles it fine? I also have a Storm, right infront of me. The only thing I run in the BG is Weatherbug and Forbes.. that's it.

Running 4.7.0.141, and it's fairly stable.. however, give it a day and I have to pull the battery. Also, tried AppWorld on the Storm much? My grandma in her walker can run a mile before I can download and install an app on there.. It's horrid. 3-4 links in, and the app icons no longer download, and it takes like 10 seconds for the menu to appear..
    05-27-09 12:07 PM
    Well, look at the threads with the leaked beta downloads.. they are always FULL of people wanting to install it on their phone.
    You've got to be kidding me, right? Do you honestly believe that this site is representative of the vast majority of BlackBerry and/or iPhone users?
    05-27-09 12:10 PM
    You've got to be kidding me, right? Do you honestly believe that this site is representative of the vast majority of BlackBerry and/or iPhone users?
    Of course.. but look at your post on the scale, than look at those.

Obviously the ones who install the leaked betas are vastly outweighing the ones who arent.

EDIT: I just posted a poll.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=235863
    Last edited by sniffs; 05-27-09 at 12:21 PM.
    05-27-09 12:16 PM
    Obviously the ones who install the leaked betas are vastly outweighing the ones who arent.
    In this little microcosm, of course. But my point is that these forums are not representative of the generic BlackBerry user base in toto.

Do you believe that everyone who uses a BlackBerry is signed up here?
    05-27-09 12:22 PM
    In this little microcosm, of course. But my point is that these forums are not representative of the generic BlackBerry user base in toto.

Do you believe that everyone who uses a BlackBerry is signed up here?
    No..but search for "blackberry" on google and Crackberry.com is the 7th page out of 109,000,000.
    05-27-09 12:29 PM
    No..but search for "blackberry" on google and Crackberry.com is the 7th page out of 109,000,000.
    That really has no bearing.

The bottom line is that even if every person on this site installed a leaked beta, it wouldn't make a dent in the number of BlackBerry users that are actually out there.

I mean, on January 27th, Verizon reported 1 million Storms had been sold. That's just one provider and one BlackBerry model. That doesn't take into account AT&T or T-Mobile or any of the other providers, or the vast numbers of Curves and Bolds and Pearls and other models that have been sold.

So. Again. Just because the technologically elite here have no problem jailbreaking their iPhones or installing leaked betas on their BlackBerries does not mean that the generic iPhone or BlackBerry user does the same and, in fact, the vast majority do not.
    05-27-09 12:37 PM
    No one seems to understand that this is a blackberry enthusiast website. As an enthusiast, many of us like to find hidden features, use leaked OSs, and make our blackberries run a little better and make our lives a little easier than a basic users blackberry. Then once someone mentions jailbreaking the iphone its as if they are a complete ***** and everyone knows you shouldn't jailbreak an iphone... The point that everyone is trying to get through to you all is that a jailbroken iphone is just another feature for us ENTHUSIASTS to enjoy. Who cares if the general population doesn't jailbreak... The general population has on average $18,000 in credit card debt! Get that plastic out!

And to the guy who is ******** about people bragging because they "have an app for that.": well, the point of using a blackberry, iphone, or any other smartphone is to extend the features of your computer into the palm of your hand the simplest way possible, which means that having a wider selection of applications allows you to live an easier life. IMO comparing usefulness and availability of applications if the best way to compare smart phones nowadays. More actually = better in some cases.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 12:38 PM
    That really has no bearing.

The bottom line is that even if every person on this site installed a leaked beta, it wouldn't make a dent in the number of BlackBerry users that are actually out there.

I mean, on January 27th, Verizon reported 1 million Storms had been sold. That's just one provider and one BlackBerry model. That doesn't take into account AT&T or T-Mobile or any of the other providers, or the vast numbers of Curves and Bolds and Pearls and other models that have been sold.

So. Again. Just because the technologically elite here have no problem jailbreaking their iPhones or installing leaked betas on their BlackBerries does not mean that the generic iPhone or BlackBerry user does the same and, in fact, the vast majority do not.

Who said anything about the general Blackberry populous? I didn't, I merely stated on this site.

Obviously 1.1 million crackberry users != 50+ million Blackberry devices sold..
    05-27-09 12:39 PM
    Who said anything about the general Blackberry populous?
    You evidently haven't been reading what I've been posting, as I've been talking about generic BlackBerry users this entire time:

But my point is that these forums are not representative of the generic BlackBerry user base in toto.
    Do you honestly believe that this site is representative of the vast majority of BlackBerry and/or iPhone users?
    The vast majority of iPhone/BlackBerry users out there just want their device to work.
    I can further guarantee you that the users on this site who do have leaked betas are a small percentage of the number of BB users out there
    most normal folk don't jailbreak their iPhones ... say Joe Consumer goes down to their AT&T store and asks them if the iPhone multitasks
    How could you possibly read all of that and assume I'm talking about anyone *but* generic BlackBerry and iPhone users?
    05-27-09 12:48 PM
    You evidently haven't been reading what I've been posting, as I've been talking about generic BlackBerry users this entire time:

How could you possibly read all of that and assume I'm talking about anyone *but* generic BlackBerry and iPhone users?
    I can further guarantee you that the users on this site who do have leaked betas are a small percentage of the number of BB users out there
    ^^ proof please.

I was originally talking about THIS SITE, not once did I talk about the BB userbase overall. You assumed I meant the general BB public and went with it.. I was not. This is YOUR bad, not mine.
    05-27-09 12:51 PM
    As an enthusiast, many of us like to find hidden features, use leaked OSs, and make our blackberries run a little better and make our lives a little easier than a basic users blackberry.
    You are 100% correct. This is an enthusiasts site and many users here do like to hack on their phones.

But not all of them. And to assume that all of them do is... wrong. To further assume that because many here hack on their phones means that many of the non-enthusiast users do so as well is also... wrong.

That's my point.

Then once someone mentions jailbreaking the iphone its as if they are a complete ***** and everyone knows you shouldn't jailbreak an iphone...
    That might be someone's point of view, but it's not mine. My point about jailbreaking is exactly the same as my point above: many here jailbreak and that's cool, but you can't assume that everyone here jailbreaks and that jailbreaking is common amongst non-enthusiast users.
    05-27-09 12:53 PM
    You are 100% correct. This is an enthusiasts site and many users here do like to hack on their phones.

But not all of them. And to assume that all of them do is... wrong. To further assume that because many here hack on their phones means that many of the non-enthusiast users do so as well is also... wrong.

That's my point.

That might be someone's point of view, but it's not mine. My point about jailbreaking is exactly the same as my point above: many here jailbreak and that's cool, but you can't assume that everyone here jailbreaks and that jailbreaking is common amongst non-enthusiast users.

Please man, PLEASE backup your claims.

Do you have a magical genie that tells you what's going on with 50+ million Blackberrys?

Obviously 50+ million Blackberry's dont have leaked beta's on them.. obviously there are people on this site that don't use them. However, before I state something, I make sure to have some credible evidence that supports it.
    05-27-09 12:56 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD