07-19-11 08:24 AM
35 12
tools
    For some reason , in West LA (and in the world of Hollywood) Blackberry is still really strong. Some of my friends even switched from iphone4s to BBs. I think one of my friends has an Android device and the rest is split BB to iphone like 60/40.

I was thinking of switching to android/iphone if bbm became universal, but when I really started thinking about it, I feel like I would regret my decision, especially because of the new devices coming soon. Android looks nice, but my moms Droid 2 is buggy and lags a bit (and believe me, my mom has very few apps and only really uses her phone for calling, texting and solitaire...). And I have an IPod touch 4 and ipad 3G I love them both, but wouldn't want to turn my ipod into a phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah, I noticed that! I was kind of shocked to see the bartender at Scorpion on hwd blvd whip out a BB. I have a BB Curve (as of today) for my main phone, a Boost i465 for international/push to talk, and an iPod touch 4G for everything else. Eventually I may just cave in and get an iPhone for everything, but doing fine with 3 devices for now...
    07-05-11 02:24 AM
    I recently switched from a blackberry to an android phone. The android apps are a lot better than blackberry apps and there are a lot more of them it seems. The only thing I kind of miss about my blackberry is that it was very easy to customize all the different types of alerts and save them as profiles. It is not as easy to customize alerts with my android phone.
    07-05-11 08:18 AM
    Tonight, I purchased a Motorola Triumph to use with Virgin Mobile's $25 plan (to be $35 on 25 July). I would have preferred the Infuse or the HTC Inspire, however, the device choice was driven by the cellular \ data plan, which is a function of the carrier.

The performance is snappy and I will update this post with my VOIP results.

Android has taken over the #1 slot in market share. Not sure if this is because of the hardware, software, or a combination of the two. I was testing the 4G (actually lack thereof) at the local ATT shop and speedtest.net had apps for only IOS and Android. This makes me wonder what I am doing with a Blackberry. I have been happy with the seemless integration of communication apps (GV, G-maps, G-mail, BBM) and my relatives abroad all use BBM.

That being said, I like the large bright displays offered by the HTC Inspire \ Samsung Infuse. I am leaning now in this direction because I would like 4G data and a large (4" plus) display. Does RIM have something in the works for someone eyeing the Samsung Infuse? I am not sure that the Storm 2 measures up. Hopefully, RIM has a model that is compelling for me to stay!

I have invested a signifcant effort learning Blackberry usage and cringe at the thought of going through another learning curve.
    07-18-11 12:50 AM
    I bought a Motorola Triumph for the $25 VM plan. Installed cSIPsimple and VOIP over 3G is a go. I prefer the BB keyboard, however, I will sacrifice this for the large display and Google integration. This Google search via Voice commands is very Star Trek.

I am a huge BB fan, however, RIM was the succsss story in the first decade and has failed to successfully innovate. There is no 4.X inch touchscreen phone from RIM, which IMHO is the sweet spot for mobile devices. Even Motorola understood this. Large gap between the web on Android and BB. RIM leadership has been put on notice, which bodes well for the BB community.
    07-18-11 02:56 PM
    I have compared them all, and even my Torch with it's minimal flaws, basically bests them all. The new stuff simply destroys them.
    07-18-11 11:45 PM
    Rofl, what dimension are you in?

alby4ever likes this.
    07-19-11 12:26 AM
    I have compared them all, and even my Torch with it's minimal flaws, basically bests them all. The new stuff simply destroys them.
    I agree. For a phone, blackberry is the best. Android had it's uses (cheap tablet PCs for example ) but for a phone bb is still tops in my book.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    07-19-11 01:22 AM
    I am so happy that we can finally have this debate, without any low blows. 32 posts, keep it up.

gunderscorewil likes this.
    07-19-11 01:41 AM
    A lot of press, blogs and so forth complain about BB native browser, but 3rd party browser like Opera Mini works very well on my Storm.

Its kind of hard to compare the two... its like comparing a Ferrari to a Bentley... both are quite similar in price range, but they are meant for completely different people (unless of course you can afford both )

Regardless, Android devices are great, big colorful screens, fun animations, more apps, bigger 'appeal' / flashy factor, some are 4G capable. Plus, you will get a very nice mobile browsing experience.

But, the reason I picked Blackberry over Android was mainly because of BBM (I have a BUNCH of friends with BBs), the user friendly UI (and of course the ability to download themes!), the messaging system (being able to have separate email folders, but also a messaging folder with emails, texts, bbms, facebook, twitter messages, and MORE.. basically everything in one place), the fast email push, and now the keyboard (I started with a Storm and Storm2, but my Bold had made me LOVE the keyboard). Also, while BB's browser may be lacking, its in no way bad, and its good enough to browse effectively.
    07-19-11 08:13 AM
    I think you meant the choice and variety of apps on Android. I have downloaded many apps from Android market that were buggy crap. (same applies to AppWorld)

If you compare quality apps like Bloomberg, theScore, and Reuters, the user experience / functionality is very similar between BB and Android.

It's all subjective, go with what you are comfortable with...

Android is the PC of mobile phones. It's very customizable (although it can take some techie skills) and the apps are amazing. It really puts to shame the quality of apps available for blackberry.
    BUT... my blackberry is one bad-azz messaging machine and I love it for that!
    07-19-11 08:24 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD