Hey Everybody,

I've never had a BB, but the Torch is about to seduce me...and I need some advice.

I find the AT&T plans very expensive-for 2 years especially. Is there a way to go around it?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions...
    08-07-10 05:08 PM
    Try Best Buy, Wirefly.com, and WalMart.
    08-07-10 05:19 PM
    You will be required to have a BlackBerry Data Plan in order to activate a BlackBerry on AT&T.

Otherwise, you can purchase the device outright, unlock it, and make an attempt to use it on a different GSM carrier, such as T-Mobile.
    08-07-10 05:50 PM
    ^ Two great suggestions.

And people said the 9800 wouldn't bring in new users. Proof has arrived.
    08-07-10 06:00 PM
    Buying it from Walmart let's say, any idea on how much would that be? (approximately...I know there's no set price yet)
    If I take the phone to T-Mobile on their 2G network would that mean that it's slower for browsing the web etc?
    Would I be able to buy it from Walmart and then get a cheap plan (with data usage) from AT&T? Is there such a thing?
    When I'm buying it outright it means that I don't have a contract but I still have to unlock it?

Thanks again!
    08-07-10 08:53 PM
    If you buy it outright, yes, that means you would still need to unlock it to use it on a different carrier than AT&T.

Not sure how much it would be from Walmart since they don't have it on their website yet.

T-Mobile has 3G network, but if the phone only has bands for at&t's network it would only pick up the 2G yes and be slower than on 3G.

I know nothing about AT&T's plans. Only that there service is terrible in my area.
    08-07-10 09:23 PM
    I read that if you pre-order the 9800 from Best Buy, it costs $150 with an AT&T contract rather than $200 with an AT&T contract from the AT&T store. If your considering getting a contract with them, might consider pre-order from Best Buy.

You can check out the plans you can purchase through Best Buy here:
    Mobile Phone Plans: Cell Phone Plans, Cell Plan - Best Buy Mobile
    08-07-10 09:42 PM
    The listed price for the phone with a 2 year contract is $200. If you wait a couple months there will almost certainly be deals for half that from Amazon or somewhere. Problem is, the monthly fee will never no down. If you only get a 1 year contract (not sure if ATT does that) or no contract at all the phone will cost much, much more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-10 09:55 PM
    Thanks everybody! It looks like I'll have to choose and compromise-either pay a lot and stay w/AT&T for 2 yrs or pay a lot just for the phone and accept lower speed (but lower montly payment) with T-Mobile.

Decisions, decisions.
    08-08-10 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD