Hey there, sorry if this is the wrong place, but it seems like this area gets lots of views. I am a newbie to the blackberry world. Tarantulas are my specialty.. haha!

I have an Telus 8800 Blackberry. It's really nice phone, mint condition.
    It's unlocked by the previous owner. So I am not sure if it matters what they unlocked it to?

Since it was unlocked I went to Wind Mobile and Mobilicity to get a SIM card (and compare prices) we tried the SIM card and it did not work. The Mobilicity was very adamant telling me the phone won't work, because of it being a (QUALCOMM SC)
    CDMA phone?

I assumed the unlocked phone would work, but they said that it would have a different frequency the blackberry may not be able to pick up. (isn't mobility similar to rogers?)

However, I've been told by someone else that the mobilicity or wind mobile must download their software into the phone. Go to options select GSM network, insert SIM card, and tada.

So, would I just ask the people at the store to insert the software, or can they not do that with a different provider phone? Can I do that myself?

Thank you
    Crysta
    01-09-12 05:59 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry,

The frequencies supported via the sim card slot are not used by the carriers in question

Your phone is meant to be used overseas when roaming and CDMA is not supported.

the software has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: read through this
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-8830-a-2280/
    Last edited by Fubaz; 01-09-12 at 06:44 PM.
    01-09-12 06:10 PM
    Welcome to the forums! Telus is a HSPA+ network, with a fall back CDMA network. This phone is so old that it would only get Telus' CDMA. Wind Mobile is a GSM network. So if your phone indeed is a CDMA phone, I'm afraid it won't work on Wind Mobile.

As far as unlocking phones go, it does not matter which carrier it was locked to, as long as you're going from one similar network to another.
    01-09-12 06:14 PM
    Ah I see, thank you for your help.

I am just wondering why is there a GSM option in connections if it does not support it? (1xev and Global are there as well)
    Last edited by Crystap; 01-09-12 at 06:46 PM.
    01-09-12 06:43 PM
    It has GSM frequencies for countries outside of North America (as noted above).
    01-09-12 06:54 PM
    From the old thread Fubaz has posted, it shows that this phone operates on GSM frequencies not used in North America.
    01-09-12 07:00 PM
    Oh! Totally missed your Edit. Thanks Fubaz, Raino and everyone else for the welcomes and taking your time responding.
    Last edited by Crystap; 01-09-12 at 07:12 PM.
    01-09-12 07:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD