So my partner got a Blackberry Torch this past week. He really likes it, and so do I (I have an iPhone 3G but that's beside the point).

we've been trying to decide if we need him to upgrade to the 2GB plan vs. the 200MB plan, and have been checking his data usage regularly. He's not using a lot of data, so the 200MB that we'll have is going to be fine. However, it seems to be still transmitting data (small amounts, no more than 1MB at a time) when connected to wifi and using programs like Facebook (was uploading some small photos).

Also of note is the small (3kb to 300kb) that has been transmitting when wifi is connected and the phone isn't being used (3am, when we're in bed).

Any input or thoughts? I read another post that mentioned that there was an antenna defect, but we seem to have wifi signal constantly. Under the settings, both BES and BIS show wifi connection.

Any input would be appreciated.
    01-02-11 12:30 PM
    The only way to NOT incur data charges when Wifi is on is to have the Mobile Network turned off. Even though you're using Wifi, the data is still routed through AT&T proxies, thus counting towards said data limit. Also, the BlackBerry itself transmits small amounts of data regularly whether on the internet or not.
    01-02-11 12:47 PM
    ... huh, that's a stupid way to set up a phone that uses wifi and a company that has noted on their website that using wifi won't incur data charges. What's hte point of even having a wifi connection available through the phone, if you're still incurring a data charge when using it through wifi?

Guess we'll have to consider a different phone, which is somewhat annoying. At least we're within the exchange window still.
    01-02-11 12:59 PM
    just upgrade to the 2GB plan..and give yourself a peace of mind.
    i never let go of my unlimited data plan for this particular reason.
    ask yourself is it worth the extra $5? the stress of constantly monitoring your data consumption? and only to find out you maxed out on your 200MB and they charge you $10/GB.
    01-02-11 01:01 PM
    ... huh, that's a stupid way to set up a phone that uses wifi and a company that has noted on their website that using wifi won't incur data charges. What's hte point of even having a wifi connection available through the phone, if you're still incurring a data charge when using it through wifi?

Guess we'll have to consider a different phone, which is somewhat annoying. At least we're within the exchange window still.
    Yes I know it stinks. I know many people who have been burned(large bills) by this. You can also go into Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options>Data Services>Off. Then turn on Wifi and be using your ISP's data and you can still get phone calls.
    01-02-11 01:07 PM
    The charge is actually worse for overages ($15 for another 200MB, but I don't surf enough to use mroe than about 150MB a month on my iPhone), but yeah. That's most likely what we'll end up doing, honestly. I never had the unlimited plan, so I wasn't worried about that.
    01-02-11 01:08 PM
    I am not sure if I agree that data charges will still occur. I use my BlackBerry heavily and am only connected to WiFi at home. At work there is no Wifi and my phone is used mainly for BBM, 20 -30 emails and browsing the web. the most data I have used is just over 80MB's and thats with even using youtube. If I was still using data when on Wifi I would go over since my son is glued to youtube at home on my device.
    01-02-11 01:08 PM
    I am not sure if I agree that data charges will still occur. I use my BlackBerry heavily and am only connected to WiFi at home. At work there is no Wifi and my phone is used mainly for BBM, 20 -30 emails and browsing the web. the most data I have used is just over 80MB's and thats with even using youtube. If I was still using data when on Wifi I would go over since my son is glued to youtube at home on my device.
    We aren't talking about Rogers, we're talking about AT&T.
    01-02-11 01:21 PM
    Also make sure that under Connection Options > Mobile Network Options that the connection preference option is set to Wifi Preferred.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-11 02:06 PM
    ask yourself is it worth the extra $5? the stress of constantly monitoring your data consumption? and only to find out you maxed out on your 200MB and they charge you $10/GB.

+1 here, The truth is ATT want us to get a 2GB plan.
    01-02-11 02:12 PM
    Also make sure that under Connection Options > Mobile Network Options that the connection preference option is set to Wifi Preferred.

Don't have that 'preferred' option, though it always connects to our wifi when we're at home (just looking at it now) with 4 full wifi bar notifications. So it's not really an issue of it not being ON the wifi.

Is it possible to set up profiles or something, like 'click this profile to have wifi on but mobile network off' and 'click this to undo that' for being at home vs. being not at home/around a wifi? I'm digging through their manual online but haven't found anything yet.
    01-02-11 03:21 PM
    I am connected to WiFi at home and here are my overnight data usages.

01/02 04:54 AM wap.cingular Internet/MEdia Net Sent 11KB
    01/02 04:53 AM blackberry.net Internet/MEdia Net Sent 243KB
    01/02 12:52 AM blackberry.net Internet/MEdia Net Sent 88KB
    01/02 12:52 AM wap.cingular Internet/MEdia Net Sent 9KB
    01/02 12:24 AM wap.cingular Internet/MEdia Net Sent 1690KB

WTF is this?

ATT can't state that WiFi is unlimited over WiFi yet charge data when using WiFi. They are a smarter company than that. I would think. I don't know...

I already brought this up with ATT and they, of course, have no idea. I jsut upgraded so maybe I will return my phone and switch providers in March..
    01-03-11 12:03 AM
    Talk to an ATT Blackberry Tech Support rep or an CSR and see how that's happening. I had that problem with Fido one (my previous carrier) which they knew nothing about, so I told them what they were doing is illegal (stealing money from a subscriber while on contact) so they just credited that unknown usage amount.

01-03-11 12:44 AM
    It's an extra $10 a month, not $5.

200MB plan is $15, and 2GB plan is $25.
    01-03-11 01:19 AM
    Talk to an ATT Blackberry Tech Support rep or an CSR and see how that's happening. I had that problem with Fido one (my previous carrier) which they knew nothing about, so I told them what they were doing is illegal (stealing money from a subscriber while on contact) so they just credited that unknown usage amount.

Hi i just wanted to know how to get in touch with a blackberry service provider because i have been having the same problem too in Canada.

Thank you!
    12-21-11 01:38 PM
    Yeah call your provider. I'm on Orange UK and had use OS 7.1 on my 9900 and had used thr wifi hotspot twice so was expecting charges for some the use but got a bill for over 9(about us$14). So called them and some charges had show when I was asleep and also when I was on my home wifi. Orange put it to tech team who spotted I had and data addon for 3G data(mobile broadband) took it off and no more charges. They even refunded the rest. So best to ask.

12-21-11 02:04 PM
    While most BB applications are written/coded to use wifi when available; that is, switch over to wifi for data communications if both are available, not all apps are. In addition, some apps are written so that the user can choose (Auto, BES, BIS, TCP/IP, Wifi, etc.), which means if you set it for TCP/IP, it does not switch over to wifi just because you later connect to wifi.

A good number of weather apps and of course generic java apps are [were] also coded to just use Direct TCP and you have no choice; so even if your device switches over to wifi when you get home from work, all weather updates still use the cell network. A few IM applications I know of also use Direct TCP instead of BIS and/or Wifi. You can confirm this during the next BIS outage (knock on wood), where your apps that use TCP continue to work even though you have no BBM, email, etc. on mobile network or wifi.

As others have already suggested, the only way to truly ensure you are not charged for data when you are connected to wifi is to shut off the mobile network. Or, get an app that turns off mobile network when you are connected to wifi and turns on mobile network when you disconnect from wifi. I think there is a free app on Appworld that does exactly that. Yes, here it is:

Free Cell Network or WiFi - Download Cell Network or WiFi - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

That app, combined with the many apps already out there that turn off wifi based on your cell tower location, also helps save battery power too.
    Last edited by Klotar; 12-22-11 at 11:04 AM.
    12-22-11 11:00 AM
    Talk to an ATT Blackberry Tech Support rep or an CSR and see how that's happening. I had that problem with Fido one (my previous carrier) which they knew nothing about, so I told them what they were doing is illegal (stealing money from a subscriber while on contact)
    I use WiFi a lot, and when I tried to sign up for a pay per use data plan, the Telus rep. told me point blank that it was a waste of money. He knew from experience that I'd be billed for 3G data while I was sitting in front of my working WiFi router. Apparently, it's a bug in the BB WiFi software, and as long as they sell their services thru the phone companies, there isn't much incentive to fix it.
    02-24-12 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD