I'm planning to change my carrier from T-mobile to ATT. I have requested the code to unlock my BB 9300 3G. However, I'm wondering if the 3G would work if I keep my same device for ATT? I use the internet for email ( BB configued email setting inbox) and google maps. Not much internet usage but I need it!

Any workarounds? Or should I just buy a ATT phone(sounds expensive to me )
    09-18-12 05:59 PM
    I don't know if this is relevant but my device options says 3G bands 1,4,8.
    09-18-12 06:06 PM
    You will not get 3G on that device on AT&T (unless you are in one of the few areas that have recently been converted due to the failed merge).

Get an AT&T device if 3G is important to you.
    beachie25 likes this.
    09-18-12 06:08 PM
    Thanks switchbeach
    No 3G is no big deal for me as long as google maps opens haha. Also, what about the blackbox email settings? Do you know if I could keep my emails coming to my phone inbox? or will that feature also go away?
    09-18-12 06:10 PM
    Blackbox? What's that?

As long as you have a BlackBerry Data Plan on AT&T, you will be able to get your email on the device. However, if you use the carrier BlackBerry.net email address, you will have to get a new one.

Google Maps might be blocked by AT&T. (It used to be.) But it will be REALLY slow on EDGE.
    beachie25 likes this.
    09-18-12 06:16 PM
    That was a typo - I meant BlackBerry Email settings.

ATT did not mention anything about a blackberry plan(arrghhh!). So I need to check on that.

Google maps opens on the iPhone ATT. i'm guessing it will open in other devices too.
    09-18-12 06:17 PM
    If your changing carriers why not get a new up to date phone.
    beachie25 likes this.
    09-18-12 06:19 PM
    iPhone and BlackBerry are different.

AT&T has long blocked BlackBerry Maps (sorry not Google Maps) on BlackBerry. Sorry about that. I was thinking one thing and typing another.

But in any event, it still will probably be slow.
    beachie25 likes this.
    09-18-12 06:20 PM
    You still need a Blackberry data plan just as if you had an iPhone, on ATT you need a iPhone data plan. Cost difference is not higher, just the data for Blackberry servers is specific. Nothing really changes. It's the same with T-Mobile (blackberry specific data plan).
    09-18-12 06:23 PM
    Rosebud, I do not have the money for a new device now(don't want a contract phone either). I was initially thinking of the iPhone 5 but well, $200 is al ot for me at the moment, In 6 months from now, I will have some cash to spend on phones,gadgets etc.
    The reason that I'm making this move to ATT is because my spouse is on ATT with an iPHone 4(unlocked) and I want to move with him under one family account. I am going to be able to save a good chunk of money by changing carriers and going with the family plan.
    09-18-12 06:25 PM
    Switchbeach: I don't use BB maps. So no worries there. I only wish the 3Gwould magically work on my phone after changing carriers LOL
    09-18-12 06:26 PM
    Hamp: So the ATT guys would know this i'm guessing? Because when I spoke about data plans I forgot to mention that my device is a BB.
    09-18-12 06:27 PM
    And would the messaging work just fine after switching carriers?
    09-18-12 06:35 PM
    If it's money you're worried about, why not stay with T-Mo and get one of their monthly plans? I get 100 voice minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data, and a BIS plan for $40/month.
    09-18-12 06:54 PM
    My current plan is a no-contract plan. I would need to check other options with T-Mo until I have the option to buy a new device
    09-18-12 07:59 PM
    You will not get 3G on that device on AT&T (unless you are in one of the few areas that have recently been converted due to the failed merge.
    That's actually not true in this case. AT&T gave 1900 MHz spectrum to T-Mobile, not the other way around (which the OP would want.)

Text and picture messaging would work just fine, but you will need a BlackBerry specific data plan for your device. It's called a BIS plan.
    09-18-12 09:02 PM
    Thanks raino

So are you saying that there's a faint chance that 3G would work after moving from t-mo to att?
    I will look into BIS plans for att. Thanks

That's actually not true in this case. AT&T gave 1900 MHz spectrum to T-Mobile, not the other way around (which the OP would want.)

Text and picture messaging would work just fine, but you will need a BlackBerry specific data plan for your device. It's called a BIS plan.
    09-18-12 11:05 PM
    No. I'm saying the opposite.

If your situation were reversed (i.e. you were going from AT&T to T-Mobile), then you could get 3G in a few areas.
    09-18-12 11:10 PM

Oops. Got it backwards. Sorry about that.
    beachie25 likes this.
    09-19-12 05:54 AM
    (unless you are in one of the few areas that have recently been converted due to the failed merge).
    This still isn't actually correct. It's T-Mobile that are refarming their 1900mhz PCS spectrum, so an AT&T 1900mhz device will run 3g on t-mobile, not the reverse. T-Mobile branded devices will probably only run on Edge on AT&T.

edit. Nevermind, finished reading the thread and this was addressed. Sorry.
    09-19-12 07:20 AM
    If it's money you're worried about, why not stay with T-Mo and get one of their monthly plans? I get 100 voice minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data, and a BIS plan for $40/month.
    I just looked up the prepaid plans and I'm thinking of going with your suggestion. I do not really use much data - just for google maps, train schedules (NYC) and my BB apps for GPS/distance tracking. My usage is usually 300MB-400MB per month. I'm looking at the $50 plan(+$10 for the BB plan) which comes with 100 MB of 3 G data and then 2 G. I will try and limit my data usage(now i even check some websites which I will stop). $60 per month sounds ok to me because my current bill is $90 with taxes

I will have some disposable income in 4-6 months from now , so hopefully it will be a new phone then.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-19-12 11:36 AM
    This still isn't actually correct. It's T-Mobile that are refarming their 1900mhz PCS spectrum, so an AT&T 1900mhz device will run 3g on t-mobile, not the reverse. T-Mobile branded devices will probably only run on Edge on AT&T.

edit. Nevermind, finished reading the thread and this was addressed. Sorry.

hmm, just wondering how slow the ATT 2G is.
    09-19-12 11:37 AM
    It's pretty slow. The 9700 I have is an AT&T phone, which I used on AT&T and then unlocked it to use on T-Mo. I had been getting EDGE speeds until the recent spectrum change. Being able to use the 3G is a noticeable difference.
    09-19-12 01:52 PM
    It's pretty slow. The 9700 I have is an AT&T phone, which I used on AT&T and then unlocked it to use on T-Mo. I had been getting EDGE speeds until the recent spectrum change. Being able to use the 3G is a noticeable difference.
    That's a bummer! Thanks for letting me know anyway.
    09-20-12 09:17 PM
    Probably a max of 200kbps at best.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    09-21-12 06:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD