Howdy,

The short version is I have a 9530 with no service and I started looking at the available choices, all way too expensive.

Is there a smartphone that works strickly with skype and wifi? With things getting smaller, is there anything on the horizon, like replacing the sim card with a wifi card or an external wifi adaptor for the micro usb?

I am a computer tech specializing in the repair of laptop/desktops for the non-profit sector. About cell phones I am clueless

thanks
    08-15-10 12:58 PM
    You could get an ipod touch and use skype over wifi with it. Other than that, a blackberry isn't a good choice to have for just wifi because some apps won't work without the data plan and bis is needed for a full blackberry experience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 01:06 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

Sadly, most phones are out of my price range, retirement is a pain. I figured if I have a phone and put skype on it I could get around the phone companies. Even though it is a smart phone I don't know if I will ever need a data plan as most of my time I have lots of options for data.

Still researching, not that I am living up to my nickname but I just discovered the BB desktop.
    08-15-10 01:28 PM
    I am a cheapskate, but I find the $69.99 Blackberry plan on Sprint to be the best thing in the world next to Wonder Bread. $69.99 gets you free GPS, unlimited data, including tethering (if you buy the Tether app), NFL live, NASCAR, Sprint TV, unlimited mobile to mobile anywhere in the US, unlimited picture mail, unlimited texting,etc. If you don't want to sign a contract, buy a used Blackberry on e-bay, and activate it on your chosen network. This isn't what you are looking to hear, I am sure, but a Blackberry without a plan is like a car without gas. If you're looking for a strictly wireless experience, you'd be better off with one of the phones running the Droid OS. The touchscreens are bigger. The trouble, of course, is that you will be tied to grounded networks, as opposed to being truly mobile.

Come on. I paid more than that for a dumb phone on Verizon.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 08-15-10 at 01:52 PM.
    08-15-10 01:47 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

Sadly, most phones are out of my price range, retirement is a pain. I figured if I have a phone and put skype on it I could get around the phone companies. Even though it is a smart phone I don't know if I will ever need a data plan as most of my time I have lots of options for data.

Still researching, not that I am living up to my nickname but I just discovered the BB desktop.
    If you want to use the Storm 9530 (or any BlackBerry) on Verizon, you will need not only a voice plan but also a data plan. There's no way around it.

And the Skype BlackBerry application only works on Verizon devices, only works on the Verizon network, will not work on WiFi even with a data plan and only works while you and the device are in the US.
    08-15-10 01:58 PM
    thank you everyone for your replies. Sometimes the brain is just distracted by the shiny screen on the BB. Since I crunched the numbers and found I had not made a real phone call in 4 months, I will keep looking and researching. If only a company, say Skype, could issue you a mobile phone id to use on the internet and tie it to your phone. Oh well...
    08-15-10 04:07 PM
    Can I ask why you wouldn't just use a computer on WiFi?
    08-15-10 04:33 PM
    Oh that would be the dead brain cells.

My online computer(s) will have skype on them soon. I just need to figure out everything. I can disassemble a laptop, put it back together, upgrade, and do all the other computer stuff. But Skype has got me stumped until I actually use it. I think I might just play with the Storm as a pda with 3rd party apps and just nuke to OS...or not.
    08-15-10 05:51 PM
    Hmmm. You do know that all you need to make Skype calls on a computer is the internet and a headset (with a mic)? You can pick up one of those headphone/mic combos at Office Max, Best Buy, etc. You can get an average one for less than $20. But then again, you won't need a Blackberry if you did that, and you won't be truly mobile. And speaking of Skype's exclusivity to Verizon, that's correct, except that Skype issued me a mobile number that I can call to use Skype on my Blackberry which is with Sprint. I haven't tried it yet because I found Voxofone, which I now use for all my international calls, and it integrates seamlessly with the Blackberry, on top of being somewhat more reasonable than Skype.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 08-15-10 at 09:59 PM.
    08-15-10 09:21 PM
    im not sure if this will help you much but check out iSkoot
    08-16-10 06:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD