What game exactly am I talking about?

The Advertising game.

We all know the new Apple iPhone5 is coming to market and soon and we know their commercials are memorable ever if you don't like the commercial you remembrr it. Imagine this...

Upon an all black screen white text fades in " you have heard the rumors...the next generation of smartphones are almost here" that fade out more text fades in "are you ready?" then they show the jump its the new keyboard in the action then the camera features then they show the mt popular apps playing on the screen of the phone then the feature showing no lag when going from app to app then black screen...more text "now are you ready? Then the BlackBerry logo and word fade on the screen quick and then out. Then some sort of time as to when it will be out.

I think blackberry can use apple's strength against them make people think this phone is the make it look like Apples commercials and then shock the people and tell them its a blackberry. Beat Apple to the media machine and give people a reason to reconsider buying the new iPhone.
    08-13-12 08:56 PM
    Obviously they would have to do this very soon.
    08-13-12 09:02 PM
    Didn't they say there were going to put $100.000,00 into marketing? I, for one, am hoping our new CMO has a strong advertisement campaing ready for deployment when BB10 is finally ready to grace us with QNX love...
    08-13-12 09:18 PM
    Its an idea, and it would be kinda cool if they had an old guy in the back seat of a taxi in New York like " whats the traffic look like downtown?" and it responded with "do I look like an iPhone?" The guy says "no you look better". Bamm pwn'd then finish it off with "Blackberry, the original innovator".
    08-13-12 09:26 PM
    What game exactly am I talking about?

The Advertising game.

We all know the new Apple iPhone5 is coming to market and soon and we know their commercials are memorable ever if you don't like the commercial you remembrr it. Imagine this...

Upon an all black screen white text fades in " you have heard the rumors...the next generation of smartphones are almost here" that fade out more text fades in "are you ready?" then they show the jump its the new keyboard in the action then the camera features then they show the mt popular apps playing on the screen of the phone then the feature showing no lag when going from app to app then black screen...more text "now are you ready? Then the BlackBerry logo and word fade on the screen quick and then out. Then some sort of time as to when it will be out.

I think blackberry can use apple's strength against them make people think this phone is the make it look like Apples commercials and then shock the people and tell them its a blackberry. Beat Apple to the media machine and give people a reason to reconsider buying the new iPhone.
    This is a good idea, the problem is they missed their chance. Imagine releasing the Ford Escape 2013 to compete with the Chevy Equinox 2012......because you had to delay it a year because it caught on fire......

BB messed up, missed their release date and so they can not beat apple to their own game, when they are 3 months behind it
    08-13-12 09:49 PM
    Its an idea, and it would be kinda cool if they had an old guy in the back seat of a taxi in New York like " whats the traffic look like downtown?" and it responded with "do I look like an iPhone?" The guy says "no you look better". Bamm pwn'd then finish it off with "Blackberry, the original innovator".
    I mean no disrespect but, I'm glad you don't work for RIM.

That was even worse than the one in a life time tv ads I see here in Brasil...

On a more constructive note, I don't think that stabing at other platforms is the way to go, specially because not all BlackBerry devices will be able to do the things BB10 will do. they should focus on the thing I don't really see them doing: telling people what's so great about the devices (Enough of DJs, bikes, dances and all that useless stuff)...

This is a good idea, the problem is they missed their chance. Imagine releasing the Ford Escape 2013 to compete with the Chevy Equinox 2012......because you had to delay it a year because it caught on fire......

BB messed up, missed their release date and so they can not beat apple to their own game, when they are 3 months behind it
    If they missed the window or not is yet to be seen. Unless you have footage of the future, that is. Then your point would be proven.

They learned from the mistakes of the past, that's for sure: No more half baked devices. We'll deliver when it's ready.

Now, they need to learn another nice trick: to deliver the full scope according to the schedule. Have they never heard of Project Management?! Critical chain time, *&%$!!!
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-13-12 at 09:56 PM.
    madman0141 likes this.
    08-13-12 09:49 PM
    By the thread title, I thought you meant suing..
    08-13-12 09:51 PM
    I mean no disrespect but, I'm glad you don't work for RIM.

That was even worse than the one in a life time tv ads I see here in Brasil...

On a more constructive note, I don't think that stabing at other platforms is the way to go, specially because not all BlackBerry devices will be able to do the things BB10 will do. they should focus on the thing I don't really see them doing: telling people what's so great about the devices (Enough of DJs, bikes, dances and all that useless stuff)...
    To get my joke, you must see the siri ads within the US, its similar to my little creation and I'm not stabing them lol everyone has to have a little joking back and forth between platforms otherwise it would get boring.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-13-12 10:24 PM
    they got to do something early, im now seeing SG3 commercials, and that phone looks like it can do amazing things

its funny though... apple is marketing 'siri'
    looks like samsung is marketing thier camera

but i dont see how these phones enhance communication.... so maybe that is something RIM could market
    Last edited by Frazberry; 08-14-12 at 05:52 AM.
    08-14-12 05:50 AM
    Good idea to a degree. Apple has spent the last 4 years advertising and making an image of being your friend who is for individual wants and needs. To beat this you are talking a billion dollars and a new way of life.
    08-14-12 06:06 AM
    Intersting idea for a commercial, except that the icons would immediately give it away as something-other-than-Apple.
    Sadly, the iPhone icons, much in need of a makeover, appear to remain the same. Hope I'm wrong, really hope I'm wrong. The whole UI is a bit long in the tooth.

I know, I know, I know. It's selling. Doesn't change the fact that it IS getting long in the tooth.
    08-14-12 06:12 AM

But they'd be right in time to compete against the Equinox 2013

Also Samsung releases phones in June, Apple in September, BB in January/February.

Samsung sells a lot, Apple sells a lot, I'm sure it doesn't matter when the phone is released as long as it's something that's competitive even if it's an older model.

And since hardware isn't as big of a factor as it used to be. I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem.
    08-14-12 07:05 AM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crackcookie

But they'd be right in time to compete against the Equinox 2013

Also Samsung releases phones in June, Apple in September, BB in January/February.

Samsung sells a lot, Apple sells a lot, I'm sure it doesn't matter when the phone is released as long as it's something that's competitive even if it's an older model.

And since hardware isn't as big of a factor as it used to be. I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem.
    I think crackcookie is referring to the fact that they can't put out the OP's ad idea if they're releasing bb10 3 months after the iPhone. The whole effect of the ad falls flat unless it airs before the first iPhone 5 ads.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    08-14-12 08:48 AM
    Also I would not use "You've heard the rumours" because most people will not, the only time people care about new phones (outside of nerds like us) is when they come to the new carriers.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-14-12 08:52 AM
    they got to do something early, im now seeing SG3 commercials, and that phone looks like it can do amazing things

its funny though... apple is marketing 'siri'
    looks like samsung is marketing thier camera

but i dont see how these phones enhance communication.... so maybe that is something RIM could market
    HTC marketed their camera as well, and remember Samsung also competes with HTC. The one thing that HTC did better than Samsung with the GS2/SR vs Amaze4G/Vivid/Rezound is the camera software in their phones. Samsung wants to show people that it has equalized that gap, pretty much.

Even the GS2 camera app is miles ahead of the iPhone 4/4S Camera application outside of HDR capability so that is not something they really need to compete with Apple on for the moment. Both phones take more than acceptable video and pictures.

The reason why no one advertises how much the phone can enhance communications is because smartphones have gotten to a point where there really isn't much enhancement to be made there. As far as communications go Blackberry doesn't have any advantages over the GS3 even BBM has been basically duplicated with ChatOn and last I checked being able to send and recieve SMS from your PC browser via Kies Air did enhance my Communications :-)

Utility functions are where it's at for smartphones these days, cause a ton of people simply don't use that many minutes anymore and SMS/MMS usage is dwindling as well as people move towards data-based messaging solutions.

That means Camera Functionality, Video Recording and Picture Quality, Social Network Integration, Cloud Service Integration, and Cross Platform Data-based Messaging Solutions (especially those preloaded on the phone, when that phone is selling as well as Samsung's giving more incentive for other non-Samsung users to install it) are very important these days. Even Microsoft realized this well before RIM.
    westcoastit likes this.
    08-14-12 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD