Just read an article that A security firm in Russia,has cracked blackberry security on both the smartphone,and playbook,has anyone else read this?and if so what do you think??
    09-29-11 07:07 AM
    Can you put a link to the article?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-11 07:12 AM
    Russian firm unveils tool to crack BlackBerry passwords
    Elcomsoft says its software can extract a master device password from an encrypted BlackBerry memory card (computerworld)
    09-29-11 07:17 AM
    Impossible. Without a link I would never believe it

09-29-11 07:22 AM
    From what I see in the product information, one of the bullets states:

Recover BlackBerry device password***

The three asterisks lead one to:

*** If an option to encrypt the media card (with password) is enabled

Wow - I wonder what RIM sticks on the card - the password?
    09-29-11 07:28 AM
    Here's a PCWorld link, confirming one must encrypt the SD card: Russian Company Adds BlackBerry Password Cracker | PCWorld Business Center
    09-29-11 07:30 AM
    Yes that's the link,what do you all think of this??
    09-29-11 08:34 AM
    Well using brute force on any encrypted media is possible. Personally, I dont use encryption cause I have nothing that important on my device. But to those that do, I would believe that just using the built in media would or should be suffice. Leave the SD card unencrypted as it is never a secure item anyways.

I'd actually like to see that at work. Very interesting. But the bottom line is that it does not mean nothing to me, like I stated, my data is pretty darn uninteresting.....
    09-29-11 08:59 AM
    Yea, I am sure they want all the data I have on my media card in Russia, Rock & Roll music files and a few pictures.
    09-29-11 10:36 AM
    This is a duplicate thread. No problem with that given the subject matter but here's the link to the other thread which has more information and links.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ssword-655448/

It also has my explanation as to how to avoid this hack. Read it!
    09-29-11 10:43 AM
    If it's true it's not good news. An encrypted media card is a necessity, but if it underminesd device security, it's a detriment.

I wonder which encryption mode is vulnerable? Let's not forget that there are three: Device Key, Device Password, and Device Password & Device Key. I would think if any of them are vulnerable via media card exploitation, it would be the one I use, Device Password. Why? Because it would seem that, with the others (when a Device Key) is involved, there would be additional information stored on the device itself that is not on the media card. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Olga. It warrants more research and perhaps reconsideration of which encryption mode to use.

09-29-11 10:51 AM
    This is a duplicate thread. No problem with that given the subject matter but here's the link to the other thread which has more information and links.

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ssword-655448/

It also has my explanation as to how to avoid this hack. Read it!
    Ah, a quick look at your link shows right away that the Device Password mode is mentioned. I would presume that, thanks to BlackBerry's maximum password attempts feature, a similar vulnerability for the other modes does not exist.

09-29-11 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD